Getting non-guitarists into Steve Vai

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Steen

I think that most of Steve's music only appeals to other guitarists since the songs are very focused on guitar. But I have started a little project to get one of my friends into Steve. I did some research and found the one of my friends that seemed most likely to "give in" to Steve's music. :P

Then I had to make a good first impression so I played Light of the moon for him. I mean you've got to start with some of the more "radio-friendly" songs first, if I would have played Freak Show Excess the whole project would probably fail miserably. While I love Freak Show Excess I think most people who listen to "regular"music wouldn't :D
I then proceeded to play Touching Tounges for him wich I think he liked and that's how it stands at the moment.

I will not rest until I have him dancing around all day with The Reaper, Blowfish, Massacre and those kinds of Vai-tunes pumping out from his stereo! :P

How about you? Do you know anyone who likes Steve's music and who doesn't play guitar?
resha

Yup, a friend of mine knows some tunes and He likes ALS and FG pieces (form All About Eve to Juice and so on...); I must admit that all my friend are getting slowly used to Steve's music 'cause my car stereo plays only that stuff 8)

I think that after a while and some several listenings everyone can love Steve's works (hey, even my girlfriend does :P )
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I think Steve has a lot of fans who aren't guitarists, and I also think there is a significant number of people who listen to Steve who are interested in a wide range of bands rather than primarily enjoying guitar-centered music.

Mikey :)
vai.com
fineweather

Sure, I'm not a guitarist but I love Steve's works. His shows are really enjoyable for a lot of guys who love music! :wink: I think it's cool to make your friends who don't know Steve's music into them. Keep on doing it! I recommend you let them show Steve's consert videos/DVDs. :)
litlgrnman

I've been a huge Vai fan for 20 years and while I own a guitar I definitely wouldn't call myself a guitarist. For whatever reason I haven't dedicated the time and energy it takes to learn.

I have introduced multitudes of non-guitarists to Steve's music over the years. Every time I have been to a Vai concert I try to take someone that has never heard much of his music. It's fun to listen to them after they have witnessed such an intense event. :shock:

Best of luck with you and your mission. But be careful about pushing too hard. Sometimes that can work in reverse. Trying to get someone to appreciate what you like can be tricky. You might feel like you are just doing them a favor while they might percieve it as pushing your preferences onto them.
cnc74

I've been listening to Steve for over 21 years now, and I don't play the guitar. My dad attended Berklee, so I grew up listening to Zappa. Hence the early influence of Steve.
Like others have stated, I always bring different people to see Steve perform. Whether it's his own tour or ZPZ. My friends', family (grandmother included), and my friend's children are Vai fans.
I thank my dad everyday for introducing me to the guitar at such an early age. It just goes to show that you don't have to play to understand and enjoy the instrument.
Christin :wink:
the queen without a king

I took lessons and I can play basic stuff but I am not a guitarist.
However, the guitar is one hell of an instrument. It's versatility, in my opinion, is unparalled with any other instrument. That is why when a guy like Steve Vai comes along, you're instantly put under his spell. The man has finesse!!

I've tried to turn some of my friends into Steve's music and I've noticed the "ballad type" are most popular. I remember a friend of mine asking me how I can stand listening to such 'noise' and then I handed her my copy of 'The 7th Song' and she's still not done 'borrowing' it.

A lot of people (like my friend) are misinformed when it comes to Steve Vai. They lump him into the category of guitarists known as 'shredders' but he can do so much more. He has so much heart when he plays, and that comes across when you hear him and when you watch him perform.
I don't want to put anyone down but Ynwgie Malmsteen for example, might be a great player technically but his playing does nothing for me. Steve on the other hand.....there are not enough words.

So...yes...in order to like Steve's music you don't have to be a guitar whiz...all you do need is a pair of working ears.
sisterinlaw

Mikey wrote:I think Steve has a lot of fans who aren't guitarists, and I also think there is a significant number of people who listen to Steve who are interested in a wide range of bands rather than primarily enjoying guitar-centered music.
Here we are! I was not into guitar music and/or playing for the first almost 30 years of my life. My brother in law is a HUGE (and if I say huge I mean huge) Vai fan for I think something like 12 or 14 years now, I'm not really sure. He was talking a lot about the music and especially the Aching Hunger concerts a one point. December 2004 there were webcasts at the Dutch NPS radio 4 and he made me curious (which isn't that difficult....:roll:) and I joined the webcast and the party in chatroom. December 22, 2004. That was really amazing. Bumps all over. After that webcast which impressed me by the music but also by the devotion in the chatroom, not to mention the chaos when Steve Himself joined! But after that I started listening to more of Steve's music with my brother in law as a guide. He did a good job. I am a huge fan of the Aching Hunger projects and am really looking forward to the DVD. Besides the Aching Hunger I am more a fan of the acoustic works and down tempo songs. Like Sisters for example. I don't think I really *understand* the music, because I have noticed that is very very difficult. But I do like it and learning every day.

I also listen to a wide variety of other styles of music. Which I already did of course before I got to know Steve's music. Dutch music, Italian music, Country and so on. Depends on my mood.

I have tried to play guitar for a few months but cannot really find the time to practise a lot. But I own a classical acoustic and who knows someday.

So, to be short...:roll: I do not play but love Steve and his music!

:guitar
Seraphim

I'm not a guitar player too (when I played with EVO he told me that I have to practice 8) ...) But I enjoy what Steve Vai do since the early days on Frank Zappa. I'm a HUGE Zappa fan, so consequentely HUGE Steve Vai fan. So HUGE that I made the trip to Amsterdam to meet him again. Shame that I don't meet him again in London, recentely, cuz I lost the plane :cry:
Steen

litlgrnman wrote:Best of luck with you and your mission. But be careful about pushing too hard. Sometimes that can work in reverse. Trying to get someone to appreciate what you like can be tricky. You might feel like you are just doing them a favor while they might percieve it as pushing your preferences onto them.
Yeah I know, I tread lightly. :P
EyE

Funny thing is, so now and then peeps come to me and tell "you should listen to Vai!". And when I tell I do so they give me input about Steve. What he did and stuff like that. Most of the time I just keep quiet and nod my head. Only if the info is wrong I correct them. My "Vai collection" is my most valuable thing! If some of them only knew that I listen to Steve's music for over 21 years now. :wink:
slash89

I'm a guitarist, but most of my friends aren't. Not many of them like his music much. It is more that they find all the guitar playing a bit to much. They care more about vocal parts rather than guitar.. But I have some who love him :) My girlfriend thinks he makes beautiful music :)
seashell

I was introduced to Steve's music by an amazing person before I even played guitar and I loved it! Steve made me to play! :D wooo!
sweeps

My best luck has been showing people Tender Surrender. When i played it live i had a great response from the crowd and suprisingly a few non guitarists asking what song it was.... when i played Trilogy suite and flight of the bumblebee they were a bit puzzled :lol:
FloralEvolution
Newcomer

I dont think that you should have to force people to listen to Steve work. It should be them who get into and like it for themselves. I have 2 friends that play guitar and they dont really listen to Vai but they have and they have and they think hes good but they are more into the metal phase.