Berklee College of Music

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Junebughunter

#16 Post by Junebughunter » Fri May 02, 2003 1:01 pm

I am still debating wether or not I want to go to berklee...it is my dream, yet it is so far away, and the industry doesn't promise anything...boy oh boy...

Ricky Garcia

#17 Post by Ricky Garcia » Fri May 02, 2003 1:05 pm

I took that picture with Steve after I passed the diploma to him... 8)

yeah right... well I took after he walked down the stage after the president of the school passed him the paper.. was a really cool night!!! :)

guitarplayer5555
Newcomer

#18 Post by guitarplayer5555 » Fri May 02, 2003 1:05 pm

Junebughunter wrote:I am still debating wether or not I want to go to berklee...it is my dream, yet it is so far away, and the industry doesn't promise anything...boy oh boy...
I know, it's the same thing for me. I have a year and half to decide. I really don't know if I should go there or not. It's not really far away from me which is good.

Ricky Garcia

#19 Post by Ricky Garcia » Fri May 02, 2003 1:07 pm

guitarplayer5555 wrote:
Junebughunter wrote:I am still debating wether or not I want to go to berklee...it is my dream, yet it is so far away, and the industry doesn't promise anything...boy oh boy...
I know, it's the same thing for me. I have a year and half to decide. I really don't know if I should go there or not. It's not really far away from me which is good.
Interesting... why are you DREAMING of going there?? try to really explain it so I can try to give you my advice on it. (of course only If you want it :wink: )

guitarplayer5555
Newcomer

#20 Post by guitarplayer5555 » Fri May 02, 2003 1:11 pm

I'm thinking about going there because I really want to do something musically related with my life. From what I've heard it seems to be one of the best schools for music stuff. Also I know alot of famous people went there. I'm just not sure what I should do, as I said I have time to decide what I'm gonna do.

Blair

ACM

#21 Post by Blair » Fri May 02, 2003 1:22 pm

Cool, thanks Nick. I've allways wondered what our equililant of Berklee was... I'm gonna look into it.... Maybe I'll see you there in a year or so! :wink:

Ricky Garcia

#22 Post by Ricky Garcia » Fri May 02, 2003 1:23 pm

guitarplayer5555 wrote:From what I've heard it seems to be one of the best schools for music stuff. Also I know alot of famous people went there.
What I am a bit concerned about is the DREAMING factor you are talking about... I can imagine how deep it burns in you to go there. I had that myself but I warn you.. berklee can smash that dream like throwing a stone into glas. It can be a valuable experience as well though. But its not a hit factory like many people declare it or want to see it as a reason for certain level of talent of players... or in other words like Berklee sometiems likes to be responsible of the great Mr Vai that we like today. He would have been there as well where he is now with or without the big B!
Last edited by Ricky Garcia on Tue May 20, 2003 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junebughunter

#23 Post by Junebughunter » Fri May 02, 2003 1:29 pm

I want to go there cause music is my favorite thing basically. My grandpa built guitars my Dad played guitars, I just kind of grew up arouind it. And ever since I first started playing it was what i loved to do the most.

Now my two main hobbies/activites that I do are computer stuff and music. I can easily have a career and make $80,000 a year programming for a company. I already make good money off of it and I am 17. And like many people say it's not what you know, it is who you know, and I know plenty of programmers and people, it is different for music.

Although it would be what I love to do the most...I don't know that I can easily support a family, and be wealthy (not just money wise either) in the music industry. Although I would be happy with either career music would make me happier, but what would make me even more happier is a the reassurance that my career I chose can reliably support a family and kids one day. That is why I have not made up my mind. I want that reassurance and music doesn't have it...so can you help me?

guitarplayer5555
Newcomer

#24 Post by guitarplayer5555 » Fri May 02, 2003 4:32 pm

Junebughunter wrote:
Although it would be what I love to do the most...I don't know that I can easily support a family, and be wealthy (not just money wise either) in the music industry. Although I would be happy with either career music would make me happier, but what would make me even more happier is a the reassurance that my career I chose can reliably support a family and kids one day. That is why I have not made up my mind. I want that reassurance and music doesn't have it...so can you help me?
I know thats what I feel too. I'm kinda worried that I may have to choose either having a family or music. Does anyone know how you can do both?

Ricky Garcia

#25 Post by Ricky Garcia » Fri May 02, 2003 11:51 pm

guitarplayer5555 wrote:
I know thats what I feel too. I'm kinda worried that I may have to choose either having a family or music. Does anyone know how you can do both?
I have direct personal experiences myself but I dont want to break the forum rulz so I better dont go deeper into that.

Having a family is of course possible... all the guys you admire have one. So does Vai. It brings along some problems of course not beeing able to spent much time smetimes as you want but there are others in other jobs that dont have much time either. Doctors, Bizmen etc.

Beeing a musician can more be a problem if you try to have an excentric life style. :?

Junebughunter

#26 Post by Junebughunter » Fri May 02, 2003 11:56 pm

Wow today was weird...

earlier I went downstairs and my mom was on the computer looking up stuff on Berklee.

Then just a few hours ago she told me she sent away for all the information...and I was like...Mom that is far away and a lot of money and she just said "We could make due" and I was like woah

stevo

#27 Post by stevo » Tue May 06, 2003 1:20 pm

I am not going there unless I win a scholarship. Its not viable for me any other way as my parents are not interested. I think going there to major in guitar is a waste if berklee is not local to you. If I get there I am going to major in film scoring and also learn orchestration.

Junebughunter

#28 Post by Junebughunter » Tue May 06, 2003 1:31 pm

stevo wrote:I am not going there unless I win a scholarship. Its not viable for me any other way as my parents are not interested. I think going there to major in guitar is a waste if berklee is not local to you. If I get there I am going to major in film scoring and also learn orchestration.
Just out of interest why is it that you consider it a "waste" to go there for guitar.

If I do go though, my major will be audio production and engineering most likely

Word

#29 Post by Word » Tue May 06, 2003 4:20 pm

My mom said she would mortgage the house if she had to so she could send me to Berklee. That's how dedicated my family is.. and she was DEAD serious too.

I'm not going there because Vai or Petrucci went there.. I'm going there because my life is music, and I want to learn as much as possible. Plus, it being a respected music school doesn't hurt either. I had 2 choices, G.I.T. or Berklee.. but a Berklee School of Music degree means way more than a G.I.T. degree... so I decided Berklee.

I'm not sure what I will be majoring in, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be something like Film Scoring and Guitar. That would be cool..

I'm still wondering if I should do 2 years or 4 years. :shock: Most likely 2 years.. then with a band I may go to Europe. Who knows?

Junebughunter

#30 Post by Junebughunter » Tue May 06, 2003 11:36 pm

By the time I do go to Berklee I will already have my AA at the local junior college, so I will probably only need to go to Berklee two years, if I even get in