Berklee College of Music

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
guitarplayer5555
Newcomer

Berklee College of Music

#1 Post by guitarplayer5555 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:54 am

What did Steve major in when he went there?

davester1234

#2 Post by davester1234 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:31 pm

music :wink:

actually i THINK it was composing and arranging, or something along that lines, but I'm sure someone will clarify that.
He didn't actually graduate by the way

byzee

#3 Post by byzee » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:48 pm

I thought he majored in performance and did alot of arranging and transcribing in his spare time.........I may be wrong.

Dave Swift

#4 Post by Dave Swift » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:16 pm

Since Steve only went for a year, I doubt he actually declared a major. I have heard from a teacher at Berklee (Jeff Freidman) that Steve never showed up to class and just sat at home transcribing all day :)

Ricky Garcia

#5 Post by Ricky Garcia » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:27 am

Dave Swift wrote:Since Steve only went for a year, I doubt he actually declared a major. I have heard from a teacher at Berklee (Jeff Freidman) that Steve never showed up to class and just sat at home transcribing all day :)
Heard something from a teacher as well who was in the room with him when he talked to Zappa on the phone... :shock:

Word

#6 Post by Word » Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:07 am

Oh, I can't wait to go to Berklee when I get out of High School. :D

Steve only went for 1 year? Didn't Dr.Vai graduate recently?

Or am I just completley off? :lol:

Nilsefix

#7 Post by Nilsefix » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:03 am

Oh man!!
I cant wait to get out of this stinky country ;) (Norway) and go to USA and attend Berklee , its gonna be sweet ,.. Its expensive though..

I didnt know that vai only went a year .. But i dont think its possible to mayor in a year...
im not so familiar with berklee .. is it possible to just choose guitar?

Yeah

spawn2048

#8 Post by spawn2048 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:42 am

Yeah, I thought Steve was a Dr. of music :?

Moderator777

#9 Post by Moderator777 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:50 am

Yep! Dr. Vai! On Sept 8, 2000 Berklee College of Music in Boston recognized Steve Vai with an honorary Doctor of Music degree.

--------------
Thank you,

Moderator777
www.vai.com

Nick.

#10 Post by Nick. » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:51 am

for those of you in Europe, the ACM in the UK is our equivalent Berklee

http://www.acm.ac.uk/

and i'm going there in september!! :D (thats the place not the website :P)

spawn2048

#11 Post by spawn2048 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:56 am

Nick. wrote:for those of you in Europe, the ACM in the UK is our equivalent Berklee

http://www.acm.ac.uk/

and i'm going there in september!! :D (thats the place not the website :P)
ACM is a very cool place. I have done a couple of evening courses there, very enjoyable. I have to wait another 2 years before I can go there full time (my parents want me to get some academic A levels first). But hopefully I am going to the summer school this year, and a few more evneing courses are sure to follow.

GGGrev

#12 Post by GGGrev » Thu May 01, 2003 8:57 pm

Dave Swift wrote:Since Steve only went for a year, I doubt he actually declared a major. I have heard from a teacher at Berklee (Jeff Freidman) that Steve never showed up to class and just sat at home transcribing all day :)
HAHAHAHAHA!

So what really happened to Steve's degree?? Did he go back and finish his degree long after he started his course??

RAI

#13 Post by RAI » Thu May 01, 2003 9:49 pm

Yep! Dr. Vai! On Sept 8, 2000 Berklee College of Music in Boston recognized Steve Vai with an honorary Doctor of Music degree.
That means that Steve didn't have to graduate.
To hold an Honorary degree means that you could actually even have been kicked out of a school, never taken a test or even attend a single class.
If you get famous enough, schools you have never even heard of will contact you and offer you honorary degrees.
I would say that quite a few people don't deserve it.
And then there are those who really do!
Dr. Vai, I bow before thee......
:D

Junebughunter

#14 Post by Junebughunter » Fri May 02, 2003 12:45 pm

I wasn't aware that he was only there for a year. But that is crazy...he basically has a PHD in music for being famous and good at guitar.

Ricky Garcia

#15 Post by Ricky Garcia » Fri May 02, 2003 12:59 pm

Junebughunter wrote:I wasn't aware that he was only there for a year. But that is crazy...he basically has a PHD in music for being famous and good at guitar.
Yes and berklee ins making a lot of profit out of the fact that many many young people follow the path of their idols and enter the school...

Britney fans drink Pepsi because they think its the better Coke if it is her choice.

Vai fans go to berklee because they think they will be as good as Vai afterwards. Which will not be the case of course.

I was thinking on how bad the music scene is these days and that you need some sort of paper in your hand. That will not help you on the free market of course but at least when you get back to europe you can try to apply for save jobs like music instructor in highschools etc. They have no clue who Vai is... they want to see papers, grades and courses you took.
Last edited by Ricky Garcia on Tue May 20, 2003 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.