STEVE VAI and STEVIE RAY VAUGHN GUITAR DUEL?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Chainsaw_DaVinci
Newcomer

Okay, I need some help. I downloaded this video of Steve and this kid (looks like the kid from the move "The karate kid") and the kid has a tele, and steve has some red guitar and the kid with the tele beats him in like a guitar duel. I was very confused with this. And I was wondering what it was. Does anyone know? And by the way it seems that theyre in a blues party or something. Thanks guys
Real_Confusions

You downloaded a copy of the guitar duel from the movie, Crossroads.

That "kid" doesn't actually play the guitar parts, Ry Cooder does.
Chainsaw_DaVinci
Newcomer

Thanks very much for the help. Where can I get this movie?
Real_Confusions

Chainsaw_DaVinci wrote:Thanks very much for the help. Where can I get this movie?

eBay. :D
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

http://www.vai.com/AllAboutSteve/discography_video.html

Click the link to buy the movie on the page above.

Mikey
vai.com
Chainsaw_DaVinci
Newcomer

Thanks, you guys were a big help. Thank you.
miker

It's a good movie... though I must admit that the guitar duel part... where Steve is trying to act like he can't play some of the classical arpeggios is pretty hilarious!

No offense... but Steve's acting skills just aren't good enough to make it look like he really can't play the guitar that well, heh. Course, mebbe I'm biased... cuz' I think he's one of the best guitar players out there.
Last edited by miker on Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chainsaw_DaVinci
Newcomer

I agree, I believe he's one of the best.
Drew the Magnificent

haha crossroads is awesome. I watched it all the way through once. Now I just skip all the way to the duel. The first time my fiance saw that part, she was like "I didn't know the karate kid could play so well." No honey that's steve playing that song (eugene's trick bag). :lol:
GuitarStrings

Real_Confusions wrote:You downloaded a copy of the guitar duel from the movie, Crossroads.

That "kid" doesn't actually play the guitar parts, Ry Cooder does.

no no no, STEVE did ALL guitar parts!!! Ry Cooder did almost nothing except few seconds of slide guitar which is not contained in that piece of duel video.
{TKG}MALICE

ry cooder did the score to the movie ,not the guitar duel, but he does play in it, anything not jack butler isnt steve vai but it was probably written by him, i know the first part was shug otis in fried chicken, then steve ,then ry on slide and steve as jack, THEN all steve till the end, sept for the very last part after he's beaten, i read into this a while back, but all of the duel is written by steve
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

All slide stuff is Ry Cooder.

Mikey
vai.com
prman

I once saw an interview with Arlen Roth where he claimed that HE played Ralph Machio`s guitar parts. I`m under the impression that Steve and Ry played all the guitar. Does someone know has Arlen Roth played anything in that movie?
Franks

According to a few websites Arlen Roth was hired to coach Macchio on convincing guitar fakery.
prman

"Convincing guitar fakery"... That`s a great phrase! Hahah...
Thanks for the Q&A, Franks!