Steve PLEASE try NIN and Protools idea

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
liquidguitar
Newcomer

Steve,
If for some reason you see this. Would you please consider following Nine inch Nails idea of releasing a protools session to the public for remix? I could think of no better way to enjoy your music then getting to play along with you and possibly feel like I am creating with you. Maybe you could even make it part of a DVD? or an online contest drawing people to your site. Maybe have the person fly out and play it with you. There is a world of things to promote. The biggest one though is true interaction with you and your music. Please consider this.
Thanks and ROCK ON!!!!
Kenny
ronfya

Yup, I think this is a great idea Trent Reznor had, and I agree that more artists should do more things like that ! :)
Big Bad Bill

Do you mean the individual Protools tracks for each song from the album? That's a great idea! I've always wanted to kill certain channels so I can here the detail-it'd make learning the guitar parts much easier!
liquidguitar
Newcomer

Big Bad Bill wrote:Do you mean the individual Protools tracks for each song from the album? That's a great idea! I've always wanted to kill certain channels so I can here the detail-it'd make learning the guitar parts much easier!
Probably not the entire album that would be a huge amount of data to download. Unless he released his next, album (if you will), as a DVD and put the protools folders on it.
Just imagine if you could cut and past 8 bars of the rythm section and put your own solo in along with steve. Or write your own bass part. And the coolest thing (to me) think of some harmony part and play it with steve playing the melody.
My ideas tend to get ahead of my fingers sometime
Vaiper

From the best of my knowledge it was Garageband format, not protools, and it was The Hand That Feeds TR released. Did he do it with Pro Tools too?
GuitarMofo23

I think if Steve was to do this idea I would like to have him select Feak Show Excess. I would love to see how all the different guitars came together to form that.
liquidguitar
Newcomer

Vaiper wrote:From the best of my knowledge it was Garageband format, not protools, and it was The Hand That Feeds TR released. Did he do it with Pro Tools too?
Yeah it was GarageBand at first. NIN now has released some song called "only" for Protools. Goto www.protools.com and watch the flash intro eventually it gets to the NIN advert. I downloaded it and have been messing around with it. Great idea!!!

I vote for "For the love of god"
Vaiper

I miss pro tools :( Haven't used it since I was at college. Probably the last time I will as well. However well done to TR for doing something like this.
Big Bad Bill

This is an amazing idea and the sort of innovative thing Steve likes to do! Well, NIN have done it first but I suspect if Steve did something similar, it'd have a unique twist to it!
Amano

Haha, steve should make a remix of that NIN song.
laficojr

Well, maybe he can create this kind of things, but not ONLY for Pro tools!
I mean, maybe in Vai- tunes music store, Mikey or anyone could put some tracks of each song in a RAR. file or ZIP, in MP3.
So, You just need to transform to WAV. and go for it.

He can put the tracks for the Drums, bass, R.guitars, keys and the lead guitars in one compressed file in ZIP. with these 5 MP3 files. :wink:

You just need to choose the song you want, and them......download the MP3s :wink:

Just an idea
liquidguitar
Newcomer

How would yall like Mr. Vai to do this.

For his next release it would be the complete song transcriptions book along with a dvd. The dvd would of course have the songs on it but also.

1. The Protools Session Data (why PT?) this is what Steve has recorded all of his stuff on lately) it would be hard to transform it to Cubase, Logic ect..)

2. THere would be video footage of the recording sessions with steve explaining how he came up with sounds and maybe even givng hints or ideas for your solo.

3. Maybe video lessons for some of the song parts

I would pay 59.99 for it. What do yall thik its worth?
KLM
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

liquidguitar wrote:How would yall like Mr. Vai to do this.

For his next release it would be the complete song transcriptions book along with a dvd. The dvd would of course have the songs on it but also.

1. The Protools Session Data (why PT?) this is what Steve has recorded all of his stuff on lately) it would be hard to transform it to Cubase, Logic ect..)

2. THere would be video footage of the recording sessions with steve explaining how he came up with sounds and maybe even givng hints or ideas for your solo.

3. Maybe video lessons for some of the song parts

I would pay 59.99 for it. What do yall thik its worth?
KLM
I think you're confusing Steve with a guitar teacher. I think Steve would rather release an album that was a work of art - not a tutorial.

Mikey
vai.com
liquidguitar
Newcomer

Mikey wrote:
liquidguitar wrote:How would yall like Mr. Vai to do this.

I think you're confusing Steve with a guitar teacher. I think Steve would rather release an album that was a work of art - not a tutorial.

No I think I confused him with a marketing guru who would want to find avenues to propagate his art to other players. In this post Nirvana duldrems that guitar has experienced (in some areas rightly deserved) Maybe some of these guys should start giving back some of their knowledge to their fans so that they can spawn a whole new genre of guitar gods that can play something other then a one finger bar chord on a drop tune guitar.

Its funny how educating the public on a companies product is a big deal these days. companies are dishing out alot of money to educate their users so their users can create and come back for more. I think a marketing guru such as Steve Vai would get in to that. :oops:
GuitarMofo23

liquidguitar why did you feel the need to post the same exact thing as two topics and various replys? Your idea is lame, I wouldnt want my guitar god to sell out and stop making artistic whatever he wants type of music and make instrucional material with scales and all that stuff. Also why would Steve do something like that? It would just look like a way of making lots of money but if you have not noticed Steve is not about making money. Anyways my real point is I am tired of seeing this post/topic.