Mike kenealy or tony macalpine?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
KillerArtist

Moderator777 wrote:Both of their shit smells different. None of which smells like roses though - I'm certain. They are different people with different styles who each provided something unique to Steve's lineup. I like them both uniquely for their careers outside of the Vai world but also find their redwood tree sized splinter of Vai time to be perfect for what was expected from a Vai band on tour. I miss Mike but also enjoy what Tony has to offer for this current crew.

Let’s love it for what we have because when it’s anything involving Steve you know it has to be good and most importantly what Steve has in mind. Steve wouldn’t hire me to replace Dave or Tony just because I moderate his forum. My shit smells nothing nice, even if I try to shove a rose-scented Glade air freshener up my cornhole. But the stench isn't something that would make Steve's band complete. It's beyond the poop smell - it's the talent what makes his band complete. Everyone is different and everyone's poop stinks different, but don't judge a man by his poop stink - judge a man by his talent!

...and Steve's band doesn't stink, no matter who is in it.

Did I make sense or did my medication take over?

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
......all right then...
:?

I've only seen Vai with T-Mac so I can't really say I like one more then the other. T-Mac can shred it up on the Keys and Guitar, though. :twisted: :D
lespaulplus

Moderator777 wrote:Both of their shit smells different. None of which smells like roses though - I'm certain. They are different people with different styles who each provided something unique to Steve's lineup. I like them both uniquely for their careers outside of the Vai world but also find their redwood tree sized splinter of Vai time to be perfect for what was expected from a Vai band on tour. I miss Mike but also enjoy what Tony has to offer for this current crew.

Let’s love it for what we have because when it’s anything involving Steve you know it has to be good and most importantly what Steve has in mind. Steve wouldn’t hire me to replace Dave or Tony just because I moderate his forum. My shit smells nothing nice, even if I try to shove a rose-scented Glade air freshener up my cornhole. But the stench isn't something that would make Steve's band complete. It's beyond the poop smell - it's the talent what makes his band complete. Everyone is different and everyone's poop stinks different, but don't judge a man by his poop stink - judge a man by his talent!

...and Steve's band doesn't stink, no matter who is in it.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com

Your dissertation defending the links between musicians and defecations went too far man.

You need to sleep more.

LOL
sniperfrommars1
Newcomer

I always thought that Mike sounded just like Steve imitating him perfectly. But I liked that Tony was able to throw his own style in. Both are about as spot on as could be humanly possible, but Tonys spirit comes out in his playing sometimes more. Its apples and oranges I think though I really like both players, and enjoy watching them almost more than I do vai, as they arent shrouded in so much mystery like Vai enjoys being
Barking Pumpkin

I don't really know either of them, but I pick Mike just because of the Frank Zappa connection. I'd love to see a Vai band with more Zappa alumni, although someone told me that Terry Bozzio has said he won't work with Vai again or something.
Vaiboy

I think both of these gentlemen are amazing musicians. Without a doubt, each has his own unique style and stage presence. However, I prefer Tony's sense of melody and more "laid-back" onstage attitude.

The beauty of the situation though, is we have both players represented on CD and DVD to enjoy whenever we wish. Therefore, the need to choose is somewhat mitigated.
V41

I don't think I can choose on that one either.

I love Mike as a musician, I love his solo stuff and his stuff with Mike Keneally Band and what he did with Beer For Dolphins. He has a humorous/quirky stage presence which is very refreshing in the stead of just appearing mechanical and robotic. He's an amazing guitarist, keyboardist, and vocalist, and listening to his intimate live stuff (such as "Dancing With Myself") and having read his tour diaries makes me feel even more attached.

But I love Tony, as well. When I first listened to his album "Maximum Security," I was blown away. Amazing compositions and amazing guitar playing that doesn't compromise melody! It was like Joe Satch with a little more shred and less blues. :mrgreen: And I love what Tony does for the band. When I saw Vai live in Hartford, CT last March, the chemistry he had with Tony was great, especially during the acoustic set.

So I can't choose. I trust Steve's judgment with who to work with, too.

By the way, has anyone heard James LaBrie's "Mullmuzzler" albums? How does Mike sound on those?
Ryan Layton
Banned

Mike all the way.

Mike is so much more daring than tony. Mike's love of being "outside" and the fact that he rarley has to rely on speed to get him by is great. then there is the side of mike that can totally shred. you all saw The Attitude Song, but go to Mike's website and watch the videos he has there. He'll tear your head off.
vaigod

MIKEY!!!!!!!!!!

~D
little green ghloe

MIKE AND TONY!!!!!!!!!! :P 8) :D
MEX

been a fan of Mike for a long long time. I just dont see Tony M. as special as Mike, might be the zappa factor tough.

peace
chrose1201

Moderator777 wrote: shit My shit cornhole stench poop smell everyone's poop stinks different, poop stink -

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Shittiest thing I ever hoid :roll: :lol: