Steve's Calluses

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
SPQR

How the hell does steve protect his calluses and keep his finger tips hard. Mine won't stay hard because i always have to wash dishes or even get washed ...I HATE GETTING WASHED, as bad it it may seem. lol
Shamrocks

fortheloveofgod wrote:How the hell does steve protect his calluses and keep his finger tips hard. Mine won't stay hard because i always have to wash dishes or even get washed ...I HATE GETTING WASHED, as bad it it may seem. lol

maybe you should stop using Fairy liquid......

I used to use methlyated spirits when i started playing. that works fine, just dont light it, dip/soak the tips of your fingers in it.
now however, my fingers dont get sore even though my fingers aren't calloused at all...
Lake of desire

I have never worried about the calluses of my finger tips getting soft. After I wash my hands they become soft, sure, but after playing a little they are back to normal. I don't know. I've never used anything special on my hands.
shacks

Shamrocks wrote:I used to use methlyated spirits...just dont light it...
Good tip! :wink:

shacks
chrose1201

I think when you've been playing as long and often as Steve has the callouses are much deeper and don't soften as quickly and easily. He did say that when he recorded FTLOG he hadn't played in awhile and he had to get his callouses back up.
If yours are deep enough than water isn't going to hurt them. I try to avoid water on my hands at least an hour before playing, that usually gives them enough time to dry out.
miker

Cleanliness is next to Godliness... stop washing your hands?!... :shock:
ummm... OK.

I saw Steve pour a bottle of water over his hands and then dry them off right before he started playing at soundcheck.

I dunno what you mean by "deep" callouses... they aren't gonna get that "deep" with .009 strings... An acoustic guitar with medium gauge strings will certainly beef them up, moreso than electrics with light gauges.

Now bass guitar... you should get a loada Billy Sheehan's callouses. I've never seen such huge callouses before. That comes with playing on telephone cables. yah.
Ariel

Sorry, I'm Norwegian. What's Callouses? Fingertips?
My fingertips are hard and I like it. It makes it much easier to play and it wont hurt, but if i havent played for awhile...

I swet sometimes when I play and then the fretboard becomes much more easier to slide on etc. lol that was random somehow
DTW

when washin dishes or taking a shower, I usually wear a plastic-glove on my left hand. I surely wash it, but seperately and I'm making sure to dry it as soon as it is washed, so it does not get soft. :wink:
StoleN GuitaR

DTW wrote:when washin dishes or taking a shower, I usually wear a plastic-glove on my left hand. I surely wash it, but seperately and I'm making sure to dry it as soon as it is washed, so it does not get soft. :wink:
lmao :lol:
sorry thats just funny
GuitarStrings

DTW wrote:when washin dishes or taking a shower, I usually wear a plastic-glove on my left hand. I surely wash it, but seperately and I'm making sure to dry it as soon as it is washed, so it does not get soft. :wink:
yeah ha ha ha I am dying for my laughs huahahahaaaaaa LOL

ps: I have NEVER taken care of my calluses... and I've NEVER had any problem with them ha ha... I just keep playing much everyday so I don't see where's the problem
Lake of desire

And another thing... I always wash my hands thoroughly before playing so that I never play with "dirty" hands, but I've never worried about my calluses. Clean hands are so much more comfortable to play with, in my opinion.
miker

This thread is wierding me out... I never worry that washing my hands is a problem. Quite the reverse actually... :shock:

If Steve reads this thread... he's gonna stop shaking hands with people. :lol:
GuitarStrings

miker wrote:This thread is wierding me out... I never worry that washing my hands is a problem. Quite the reverse actually... :shock:

If Steve reads this thread... he's gonna stop shaking hands with people. :lol:

oh huahaah right! so the conclusion to this thread is:
"Steve's fans don't wash themselves in order to play better." :lol:

huahahaha!!! oh my god I a laughing to much!!!
Lake of desire

miker wrote:If Steve reads this thread... he's gonna stop shaking hands with people. :lol:
That would explain the black leather gloves he seems to have taken an interest in wearing. :lol: