Why does Eddie not dig Steve?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Leo
Newcomer

Why does Eddie not dig Steve?

#1 Post by Leo » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:34 am

I've read many times Steve's expression of pure respect toward King Edward, but Eddie seems to be a bit (fill in the blank).

Given that Zappa was obviously fond of both Steve's talent and Eddie's input for the electric guitar, those two probably have not been in the same room for more than a couple of times.

Big Bad Bill

#2 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:01 am

I should imagine it's because they're from two very different genres. Eddie is from the blue rock/metal fraternity, where songs with lyrics and straight forward Verse chorus verse stuture predominate. Whereas Vai is a Venusian Hyperbeing who could smash a plate musically!

Ed doesn't seem to keen on Yngwie either so perhaps its a 'technique thing'. Ed has technique in bag fulls but nothing like Steve's total command over the instrument!

Vaituoso

#3 Post by Vaituoso » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:53 am

Eddie is jealous, that's all. Vai writes intricate music and Eddie writes catchy and popular, straight-forward rock music. Steve's music is not for the masses. Steve, Satch, and Yngwie can totally rip Ed a gaping asshole. Regardless, I still love Van Halen to death.

Adriano

#4 Post by Adriano » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:25 am

Vaituoso wrote:Steve, Satch, and Yngwie can totally rip Ed a gaping asshole. Regardless, I still love Van Halen to death.
No, Satch and Yngwie, no.

brainpolice

#5 Post by brainpolice » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:40 pm

Lol. He is just jealous, and just doesn't have the taste.

Youngshredder

#6 Post by Youngshredder » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:11 pm

he may not dig Vai's music, but he's digs Vai's guitar playing. He even said so in an interview with guitar world.

EVO 555

#7 Post by EVO 555 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:13 pm

i love van halen

Burning rain
Newcomer

#8 Post by Burning rain » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:40 pm

Hi Guys!
I must say that Eddie is good guitar player.
But... when we all talking about Steve Vai we all should remember that Steve is more then one more guitarist. He is a genius. And he has his own
playing style. I think we can't compare anyone with Steve Vai. 8)

Warmest regards!!!!!!!!!! :D

Peabody

#9 Post by Peabody » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:59 pm

In one of the early Eddie/Cherone interviews they mention having seen Steve Vai the week before (on the fire garden tour). He must like him to catch a Vai show.

ScreamJem7

#10 Post by ScreamJem7 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:05 pm

While steve was in Frank's band, Eddie was hanging out with Dweezil at UMRK during recording sessions. Dweezil learned alot from Ed's playing.

brainpolice

#11 Post by brainpolice » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:07 pm

"Dweezil learned alot from Ed's playing." Yea. Made a whole career out of Ed's playing! :)

jmchambers5

#12 Post by jmchambers5 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Vaituoso wrote:Eddie is jealous, that's all. Vai writes intricate music and Eddie writes catchy and popular, straight-forward rock music. Steve's music is not for the masses. Steve, Satch, and Yngwie can totally rip Ed a gaping asshole. Regardless, I still love Van Halen to death.
Yea, I could see how all those millions and millions of dollars he makes off of those straight forward, catchy, popular songs could make him feel inferior. Speed isn't everything you know.

GotVai?

#13 Post by GotVai? » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:28 pm

There is no way that Eddie is jealous of Steve's playing. If anything, Ed should be jealous of Steve as a personable human being. Ed needs to work on that area. Ed's drinking has caused his people skills to suffer greatly and according to DLR, Ed is a "shitty human being without a guitar in his hands." Steve however has been nothing but gracious to people in interviews and to his fans everywhere. I have never heard a bad word about anyone from reading Steve's interviews (except about Rolling Stone mag, but that goes without saying).

I do agree that Steve does own Ed as an overall guitar player; but one dept. that Ed has an advantage in is his rhythm playing. Ed is/was a great rhythm player. I am basing this on the 1st 6 VH albums, as I don't listen to Van Hagar at all. It seems like Ed's rhythm playing gets overlooked. Let's not forget that Ed was the King from '78-'84.

Vaituoso

#14 Post by Vaituoso » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:55 pm

jmchambers5 wrote:
Vaituoso wrote:Eddie is jealous, that's all. Vai writes intricate music and Eddie writes catchy and popular, straight-forward rock music. Steve's music is not for the masses. Steve, Satch, and Yngwie can totally rip Ed a gaping asshole. Regardless, I still love Van Halen to death.
Yea, I could see how all those millions and millions of dollars he makes off of those straight forward, catchy, popular songs could make him feel inferior. Speed isn't everything you know.
Who said anything about speed? Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Read my previous statement about another 100 times. It might click. I love the music Eddie made with Van Halen and I am very aware of how big of an impact he had on guitar playing. But let's face it... Vai is the ultimate package. Steve is the real deal, man!

Fret Melter

#15 Post by Fret Melter » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:05 pm

I think it's because eddie's not to happy about his current position in the world of guitar. Recently, he has done nothing. His technical skills are crap, and frankly, his playing isn't relevant any more. Mostly he's just jealous of guys like Vai and Yngwie. Even in his hayday, he couldn't come close to their technical proffiency. His music was pop rock at best. I'm not really sure why people look at him as a guitar god. There are so many more better guitar players out there today that are still making records! What a has-been.