My EVO Experience -- Fillmore, 4/26

Discuss Vai.com's Photo Galleries, along with studio, live and rare photos - or showcase your own Vai-related photography here.
miker

My EVO Experience -- Fillmore, 4/26

#1 Post by miker » Sun May 01, 2005 12:30 am

Here's me with EVO! You would not believe what a nice set up this guitar has... fantastic:

...and here's me with Steve Himself (my mind was going blank at this point in time). His consideration for his fans is most admirable and most appreciated:

Definitely one of the high points of my lifetime... meeting Mr. Steve Vai.

To top it off... I had a cup of coffee with Billy Sheehan and chatted with him for 1/2 hour. I kept thinking... holy shit, I'm talking to Billy Sheehan! Totally spaced on asking to get a picture with him... didn't want to be too intrusive... and I totally didn't think of it till well after the fact. I kept having to remind myself, I'm not watching a video... he's talking to me!!! Very personable guy, just like Steve. Both monster players and hella courteous to their fans.
Last edited by miker on Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Amano

#2 Post by Amano » Sun May 01, 2005 2:03 am

Images are down.

miker

#3 Post by miker » Sun May 01, 2005 2:46 am

You don't see the pictures?!...

Andelusion

#4 Post by Andelusion » Sun May 01, 2005 6:38 am

I can see them, great pics. Did you have a little play on Evo? :) Is the action quite high?

laficojr

#5 Post by laficojr » Sun May 01, 2005 8:19 am

Really nice buddy!!! :D

Vaituoso

#6 Post by Vaituoso » Sun May 01, 2005 8:56 am

I remembered when I played EVO. It's definitely one of the best guitars I've ever played. Probably, THE best.

resha

#7 Post by resha » Sun May 01, 2005 10:00 am

so cool miker :shock: 8)
I can't wait till Steve comes to italy and having my evo experience...
I'm sure I'll cry like a child in front of Him :oops: :P
thanks for the pics!

miker

#8 Post by miker » Sun May 01, 2005 10:25 am

Andelusion wrote:I can see them, great pics. Did you have a little play on Evo? :) Is the action quite high?
Yes I did Andelusion... and what I recall was being surprised how low the action was. Motivated me to try to work on lowering my action... posted on this elsewhere. Seemed lower than I expected having looked at the pics in "All About EVO."
Vaituoso wrote:I remembered when I played EVO. It's definitely one of the best guitars I've ever played. Probably, THE best.
Isn't that true? I have a Jem 7VWH... and EVO just feels so awesome. Wish I could adjust my guitar the way Thomas Nordegg does. I can't put my finger on what he did to make it stand out like that. I think the neck might be shaved custom for Steve... I think I was talking to someone in chat about that...

EVO 555

#9 Post by EVO 555 » Sun May 01, 2005 12:21 pm

very nice man hope you had a good time

miker

#10 Post by miker » Sun May 01, 2005 1:22 pm

I had a great time EVO 555... just smiled the whole time. Here's a shot of the soundcheck, and a couple from the concert. No zoom... literally just right there front row center... holding on the railing. Maybe 6 feet away from these guys at times... I had no camera (chickened out) but a friend I met at EVO Exp was a couple people down from me on the left-- he had almost the same view I did and he hooked me up with some of his pics):

Last edited by miker on Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barb972
Newcomer

EVO/VAI

#11 Post by barb972 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:46 am

Miker
GREAT PICS!! I remember seeing you at the fillmore upstairs I think, glad to know you had a great time meeting and talking with the guys(envy,envy) Next time I see Vai I will Deffinately buy whatever pre/after tickets that might be. What band do you play with, are u in the bay or what.
Barbara

miker

#12 Post by miker » Mon May 02, 2005 9:13 am

Heyas Barbara,

Well... I haven't been in a band since high school daze, when I used to play college frat parties and a few beer dives. Though I am trying to hook up with some old buds I used to jam with to make some noise together again. Definitely is most enjoyable when you hook up with other people.

Mostly just play for my own enjoyment nowadays... If I'm not playing guitar... something is missing and not quite right with me.

Are you a guitar player? ...in a band?

Thanks for asking.

Oh yeah... I'm in the bay area. Yes indeedy. South bay.

jemgirl

#13 Post by jemgirl » Mon May 02, 2005 10:15 am

hey miker!! oohhhwhoooooaaaaaa!!!!! absolutly brilliant pics here!!!!!!!
fantastic man!
what was the weight of evo?
what so special about it? the feeling?the action?

thanx for sharing miker :wink:

patricia :wink:

btw, did he played wireless? cause i can see a cable coming out of evo.

miker

#14 Post by miker » Mon May 02, 2005 10:47 am

Heyas Patricia,

Weight of EVO is just like a standard off-the-shelf 7VWH... Alder body so a little heavier than the Basswood guitars.

EVO has been broken in pretty well... so it just feels comfortable. Kinda like a baseball mitt that has been broken in compared to a brand new one, if that makes sense. The action is great, no buzz... seemed pretty low. Something about the way it felt... on the neck... real smooth. Some people were making comments like... does he put graphite on these strings? I dunno if it was that, or a shaved neck. Hard to describe. It definitely stands out from a typical 7VWH when you pick it up. I'm sure there was some "awe" factor here too... so not really playing with a full deck even if you are trying to be analytical. If you know what I mean... like, "Whoa... Steve Vai's Guitar!!!" heh. Then again, Thomas Nordegg has been Steve's guitar tech for more than a couple decades for a reason you know -- man seems to really know his stuff.

Steve was mostly plugged in. Steve and Billy were definitely cables and not wireless.
Last edited by miker on Mon May 02, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RAI

#15 Post by RAI » Mon May 02, 2005 11:04 am

miker wrote:Thomas Nordegg has been Steve's guitar tech for more than a couple decades...
I was under the impression that Steve didn't hook-up with Thomas until the UZ tour...
:?