Maybe I'm dumb, but I'm curious

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
LGM Guitars

How come so many of Steve's guitars have tape over the rear cavities instead of cover plates? Is he like me and just loses the screws for them all? LOL!!!

Seriously though, I was just looking at the guitars, and noticed, more than a couple have the cavities taped up. So what's the reason for that?

Jeremy
markmcg

Is it not because the cavities are filled with padding of some kind to stop vibrations from the trem springs?

Mark.
Anthony
VIP
VIP

There are a couple of reasons for this:

- The springs resonate with certain notes. Steve bangs the guitars around a lot, also, and you can hear the spring noise through the pickups. Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Them springs is noisy!!

- Easy access for repair. Believe it or not, it's easier to just use board tape instead of worrying about losing little screws and having to fuss with them being pulled in and out. Plus, how else would you stop the springs from vibrating? You'd have to tape napkins to the back of the rear access plate and then you wouldn't be able to screw the dang thing back in.

- It's cheap. Just throw some napkins back there, some tape, and you're set. :)

Anthony
Ricky Garcia

Yeah that sprint noise can very anoying depending on what you do...
LGM Guitars

that's kind of what I thought.

I've always just stuffed the springs with cotton balls, that deadens them too. Hmmmm, sounds sick, but I bet tampons would work real good too :oops:

well, I'm not gonna go buy a box of em to experiment with. LOL!!!

anyway, thank you for just verifying that for me :)
Moderator777

LGM Guitars wrote:Hmmmm, sounds sick, but I bet tampons would work real good too :oops:

well, I'm not gonna go buy a box of em to experiment with. LOL!!!
I take it you are not married. Just wait until you are and have to make a special run to the store 'just for her'. :wink:

--------------
Thank you,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Ant711UK

I can see a problem with LGM's idea already.

You wouldn't be able to play it for a week at a time, I'd stick with kleenex.
dex

What I do is I use a stanley knife to cut 2"x1/3"x1/3" (55mmx8mmx8mm) chunks of sponge from a hard washing up sponge (not the soft car washing sponge type) and use a thread to put (drag) that inside the springs.
The last time you're going to hear any spring noise and they look as if nothing was done to them.

I keep my back plates off as I like being able to see the springs there. Makes the guitar look meaner. :D

ilia
LGM Guitars

yeah, I've had to make that run, but somehow it's easier to do knowing it's for her than for the guitar, I guess I'd feel funny having to explain it should I run into someone I know LOL
Allen Garrow

LGM,,,,, :shock: you've taken this thread to a new low.... :lol: When I started to read the first installment of this thread,,,, I thought to myself....oooooh this thread could go wrong real fast. Rest assured, had you not said it,,,, I was poised and ready to take that chance.

Seriously though, I'm with you,, I stuffed both of my guitars with Cotton balls and it works very nice, and really kills that treblely sound that sort of linger in the back ground. It's really cool now,, you can slap the hell out of the trem arm, and not have it sound like an old mattress.

~A
Guitar Wizard

Anthony wrote:There are a couple of reasons for this:

- The springs resonate with certain notes. Steve bangs the guitars around a lot, also, and you can hear the spring noise through the pickups. Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Them springs is noisy!!

Anthony
Yeah, but you can create some cool sounds by "picking" and "scraping" the springs with the Whammy bar depreseed and then releasing the bar. You can get some cool "elephant roars". That is why guys like Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen, who love to create weird sounds, leave the plate off.

Best bet is to have one guitar with the padding in the cavity for the "pretty ballads" and one guitar wiht the plate off for the "loud, distorted and
crazy" solos... :twisted:
Joel Lyndgohrd

LGM Guitars wrote:Hmmmm, sounds sick, but I bet tampons would work real good too :oops:
An idea like this could only come from you Jeremy! LOL! :lol:
SinTrade
Newcomer

I take it you are not married. Just wait until you are and have to make a special run to the store 'just for her'. :wink:

heheh :oops:
Ya Yo Gakk
Newcomer

dex wrote:What I do is I use a stanley knife to cut 2"x1/3"x1/3" (55mmx8mmx8mm) chunks of sponge from a hard washing up sponge (not the soft car washing sponge type) and use a thread to put (drag) that inside the springs.
The last time you're going to hear any spring noise and they look as if nothing was done to them.

I keep my back plates off as I like being able to see the springs there. Makes the guitar look meaner. :D

ilia
Hey man thanks for the idea, I'm gonna try it, and see if it helps in anyway.
Junebughunter

If you think the Lo-Pro Edge springs can be noisy...for some reason my lo-trs 2 makes a ton of noise!!! :(