Encyclopedia of pickups

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
GGGrev

Encyclopedia of pickups

#1 Post by GGGrev » Tue May 13, 2003 8:25 pm

I'm just after after market pickups and just want to know the qualities of the DiMarzio pickups. I want to know all of your opinions! Please!

Here are my observations:

Evolution - kinda restrictive to soloing, but other than that, great for soloing. :wink:

F.R.E.D. - More versatile than evolution, I love this pickup! Good for soloing and 'alright' low end.

Breed - these are one of my favourite, very versatile, althought can't scream as much as an Evo...

Tone Zone - ??

Air Norton - ??

I'm not sure about Tone Zone and Air Norton so please input your opinions. Also I want to know if the Jem single pickup is close to HS-2 or HS-3??

Oh and the Red velvet and Blue velvet's tone please. :)

Nilsefix

#2 Post by Nilsefix » Wed May 14, 2003 12:53 am

What i know , is that Petrucci , uses Steves Special (steve morse signature dimartizo) and Air Norton . With these two split , like the inner singles of each , can give a crispy brilliant clean sound . It sounds trebly and not sharp at once .. its an AWSOME combination when it comes to clean ... and the steves special is cool at solos too ...

but i think ill buy a evo or a fred ...

nislefix

greg

#3 Post by greg » Wed May 14, 2003 1:20 pm

How about a PAF?

Nilsefix

#4 Post by Nilsefix » Thu May 15, 2003 3:12 am

hmm , i dont know anything about the fred , the paf and the evo pickups .. . i want , umh , a pickup that can like , do everything .
I need a nice lead tone , and riff tone , and clean ....
wich is most versatile?

well
anyway , itll be some time , im broke :oops:

bkornaker1977

tips on pickups

#5 Post by bkornaker1977 » Thu May 15, 2003 9:58 am

Try the dimarzio website, tons of info there on how they rate thier pickups.
I currently use the evolution in the bridge, and a fred it the neck. I think this combo is SWEET! iIf your lookin for versitile pickups, I would suggest the "Breed", "norton(not the air norton, but the regular)", or the old faithful "PAF Pro". I havent heard the "tone zone" yet, but its not as hot as the "evolutions", and it has great bass and midrange response , with the growl overtones of the FRED pickup. Hope this helps.................. :)

vaisms

#6 Post by vaisms » Thu May 15, 2003 9:50 pm

Nilsefix wrote:What i know , is that Petrucci , uses Steves Special (steve morse signature dimartizo) and Air Norton . With these two split , like the inner singles of each , can give a crispy brilliant clean sound . It sounds trebly and not sharp at once .. its an AWSOME combination when it comes to clean ... and the steves special is cool at solos too ...

nislefix
Don't mind me correcting something..the Steve Special isn't the Steve Morse signature pup. Its called Steve special becos the designer was named Steve, cant remember his full name but Steve something.
Steve Morse's signature is another model. Both of these pups have almost diff tones, the Steve Special is scooped mids, while the SM one is fat and punchy, almost like a Evo

Moderator10th

#7 Post by Moderator10th » Fri May 16, 2003 10:03 am

vaisms wrote:
Its called Steve special becos the designer was named Steve, cant remember his full name but Steve something.
If I recall correctly, it's Steve Blucher.

Word

#8 Post by Word » Sat May 17, 2003 5:10 pm

Nilsefix wrote:What i know , is that Petrucci , uses Steves Special (steve morse signature dimartizo) and Air Norton . With these two split , like the inner singles of each , can give a crispy brilliant clean sound . It sounds trebly and not sharp at once .. its an AWSOME combination when it comes to clean ... and the steves special is cool at solos too ...

nislefix
John Petrucci now uses custom DiMarzios in his Ernie Ball signature guitars.. but you are right in a way.. he used the pickups you mentioned in his Ibanez guitars.

GGGrev

#9 Post by GGGrev » Sun May 18, 2003 9:29 pm

Of course I have heard the sounds of Evolution and I found it to be a purely soloing pickup.

I really like FRED cos it can do the Evo stuff and can also be versatile.

PAF Pros are fail safe pickups to get I say.

Tone Zone.... I haven't heard many sounds from it so I can't judge.

I love Breeds, it shows its awesomeness in 'Blood and tears'.

---

I know I've said these things in my first post but can everyone please contribute to this thread cos I want to know more opinions. (I have 'studied' all the tone graphs and stuff at the DiMarzio website. 8) )

Manu_777

#10 Post by Manu_777 » Sun May 18, 2003 9:53 pm

I think that Air Norton is one of the best neck pickup. It's warm and you heard every pick attack. You can heard this great sound on the John Petrucci's video "rock dicipline". In clean channel, it is also a very hot pickup.
For the floyd I personally love Evos. I was a little disappointed with the Paf because it sounds like a wha pedal stoped in the middle of is road.
Tone Zone sounds also very great, they're more cutting.

davester1234

#11 Post by davester1234 » Mon May 19, 2003 5:26 am

how about the fernandes sustainer pickup (neck), when the sustainer is set to OFF, and its just you and the tone of your fernandes?

I know that you can use the sustainer with your existing bridge pickup....but I'd like to know how the raw sustainer pickup sounds by itself without the sustain switched on. :)

littlegreenguy

#12 Post by littlegreenguy » Mon May 19, 2003 6:22 am

Tone Zone

I have the tone zone in the bridge pos of my fave old-skool RG 560. I think it rocks the big one! it's got balls for riffing, but not too muddy - good crispness. soloing it just sings, it has a lot of sensitivity, so is never to brutal, but saying that you get really get some guttsy solos out of it if you want...back off the tone and it gets REALLY smooth, which is something I dig in distortion tones. when combined with the middle pickup (standard Ibanez s1 I think) you get a real funky kinda sounds, a twang with just enuff fatness. coil tapped with the mid pickup you get a great clean funky twang with a bit of extra sparkle...on it's own, tapped, I have it out of phase, so it sounds a bit freaky...but I love it so I've not changed it!

I have other guitars, but this is the one I always return to...it's a part of me! The Tone Zone extracts my heart and plants it firmly on my sleeve!!!

(I should WORK for Dimarzio! geez!)

Drew

#13 Post by Drew » Mon May 19, 2003 8:14 am

I agree, the Tone Zone in basswood's a thing of beauty. Rich singing mids, but still enough high-end clarity for pinch harmonics and to cut on leads. It's tough to describe aside from general words like "warm" and "singing," but you get the idea...

Conversely, I thought it sounde dlike crap in mahogany. Way too weak in the highs, not enough bass definition for the wood, and since mahogany's already so midrangey anyway, it just sounded muddy and undefined for leads. it wasn't half bad for rhythm, very Les Paul-y, but if I'd wanted a LP, I'd have bought one.

Incidentally, this is the 7-string version I'm talking about.

I replaced the TZ7 in my 2027 with an Evolution-7 and was REALLY impressed with that combination of body wood and pickup. It nails the "screaming" lead sound, just hit a nite with a fairly wide vibrato and bask in the tone. It's definately more focused to the mids and highs in my ears, but it still cut it for heavy rhythm work, IMO. also, through a high gain amp with the volume back, it did a suprisingly good job copping that Lynard Skynard vibe- glassy yet rounded sustain-y cleanish sound.

I have nothing to compare the Air Norton (7) to, since it's the only aftermarket neck pickup I've ever used, but near as I can tell, there's a good reason Petrucci uses it- it just begs for fast alternate picked lines. Smooth but detailed.

Although, the guy who owned my 2027 before me put a TZ in the neck, too- don't know if this was intentional or not. It actually sounded pretty decent, reasonably similar to the AN in my basswood 7620.

-Drew

freak

#14 Post by freak » Mon May 19, 2003 8:35 am

I love the tone zone and air norton combo!!!

I know paul gilbet uses the TZ and I'v heard pretucci uses air nortons in neck (not sure though :oops: )

I think those are the best dimarzio combo around!!!!! (possibly add a blue velvet in the middle :wink: )

vaisms

#15 Post by vaisms » Fri May 23, 2003 6:57 pm

Word wrote:

nislefix
John Petrucci now uses custom DiMarzios in his Ernie Ball signature guitars.. but you are right in a way.. he used the pickups you mentioned in his Ibanez guitars.

Yeah he uses custom Dimarzios in his EBMM now...Just like to add that in comparison to the SS and AN combination, those custom dimarzios somehow didnt sound as good to me. The neck pickup was warm and fat..but for the bridge, it was too scooped for me. It had a very nasal tone to it, which is hard to describe. It didnt sound very much like the SS at all. The SS sounds hot, and very defined.