Did Vai ever record anything with a Les Paul or Strat?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Simon

Just wundin' if there is any music available with Vai playing another classic type of guitar. Obviously before his 777 was implemented he must have played something else! Another Ibanez?

I love Les Pauls, they are by far and away my fave guitar, and it would be mad as fuck to hear some Vai work on that instrument!
Nilsefix

The Boy from Seattle is played on a strat ...
Moderator777

Steve uses a variety of instruments in the studio. Most recently noted is 'The Boy from Seattle' where he openly admits he recorded with an import Strat (except the solo). Listen to the commentary on the Alien Love Secrets DVD.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Moderator777

Nilsefix wrote:The Boy from Seattle is played on a strat ...
Faster on the keys than I! Good for you. :D

I'll see if I can dig up other information on guitars Steve has used to record with.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
dex

Probably quite a bit of strat on Flex-Able and Flexable Leftovers as when Steve recorded most of that his #1 guitar was a strat.
Zappa stuff - also strat for most of it.
Also Green Meanie was a Charvel made strat copy.

ilia
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

One lick on the Whitesnake album was played with a black Les Paul.

Steve's "Sticker Strat" still makes an occasional appearance in the studio from time to time.

Mikey
vai.com
Oveja Negra

Warm Regards also was played on a Strat, Steve said it in a interview :D

Saludoskis :shock:
Bakerman

Hand on Heart intro = Strat
badhorsie551

I believe i remember reading that before the ibanez 777 prototypes came in Steve used some custom Tom Anderson guitars for the Skyscraper demos. One of the solos on the demo ended up being put onto the real recording but the solo in question slips my mind.
Moderator666

badhorsie551 wrote:I believe i remember reading that before the ibanez 777 prototypes came in Steve used some custom Tom Anderson guitars for the Skyscraper demos. One of the solos on the demo ended up being put onto the real recording but the solo in question slips my mind.
solo from Hina
WaP

Oveja Negra wrote:
Warm Regards also was played on a Strat, Steve said it in a interview
Is that true??? Really??? :roll: I don't believe it! It sounds like a Jem...
The Prez

The thing is, why play with a Les Paul when you have a Jem? :roll:
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Prez wrote:The thing is, why play with a Les Paul when you have a Jem? :roll:
Because a Jem is not the mother of all guitars. You cannot get every sound you want from it (ie: LP, or Strat or hollowbody..etc).
If he wants a specific sound for something, he'll find it.
Oveja Negra

WaP wrote:Oveja Negra wrote:
Warm Regards also was played on a Strat, Steve said it in a interview
Is that true??? Really??? :roll: I don't believe it! It sounds like a Jem...
Yes it's a Strat, I'm pretty sure, read this:

The other songs each have their own little touches. “Aching Hunger” is all distorted, compressed, tweaked sound effects, and I just spent forever making them sound just right. “Blowfish” was fun because that was just directed to a 2101 DigiTech [multi-effects processor], and right out of it into the Palmer speaker simulator – so you get this fat, direct, grotesque sound that is very warm. I just compressed the ever-loving piss out of it. For “The Crying Machine,” I wanted something that was just real groovy. The thing that I really like about that song is John Ovula, a phenomenal bass player from Oingo Boingo. On “Warm Regards” I used a Strat, and you can hear that real distinctive tone.

Here's the link to the full article If you don't believe me ;)

When I read this the first time, I was very happy hahaha, cause I always felt that the guitar had a different sound, very warm (like the song title :lol: ), so at the end I was right :) :) :) :)

Saludoskis :shock:
Derek

Sheesh - I transcribed that article for those guys and I completely forgot. I guess I don't always read what I type...

Also - I think on the first DLR tour he was playing strats, but I don't know for certain whether it was the Green Meanie or not, sorry. I should probably shoot the base of my neck with a staple-gun for how far I've fallen in my knowledge of trivial Vai information... :oops: