FLO III with a BLACK SUSTAINER

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
kyle am I

wtf? why? any answers would be greatly appreciated lol. so im thinking it had a sustainer problem, so thats why steve used xavia for more than a few concerts, and the sustainer had to be changed but they didnt have another white one, so they used a black one. what could this problem have been?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdvRca7W ... ure=relmfu
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's pretty much it.
The sustainer had issues (not the first time on Flo III btw), but the only spare available on tour had a black driver. It was installed last week, together with a little bit of fretwork, to make it play perfectly again.

J
Samuele

Steve was getting something that sounded like ground wire noise from Flo III at soundchecks in Italy. I have no idea why, but at first even Xavia was acting a bit like that. It's funny because when Thomas handed Evo to Steve, there absolutely wasn't any kind of noise, so Steve kissed and caressed her, and said something about how she never lets him down! He then switched back and forth between Flo III and Xavia, then decided to use the latter for all the songs that required the sustainer. In my opinion, she sounded great!
ocxcxd

Xavia has a good sound, indeed. The sustainer in FLO III was replaced in Vienna, by Spalt Instruments. And what is that kind of black rubber, that's on volume knobs? It fell of from Xavia, when Steve was doing trem fluttering during the FTLOG, in Ljubljana.
kyle am I

ocxcxd wrote:Xavia has a good sound, indeed. The sustainer in FLO III was replaced in Vienna, by Spalt Instruments. And what is that kind of black rubber, that's on volume knobs? It fell of from Xavia, when Steve was doing trem fluttering during the FTLOG, in Ljubljana.
do you have a video of that?
Samuele

ocxcxd wrote:And what is that kind of black rubber, that's on volume knobs?
It's black tape. Steve is using it on the volume knobs of the guitars he's using live for two reasons: 1) to visually make it easier to adjust the volume (since backing it off also cleans up distortion without losing signal power); 2) to have a good grip on the knob when his hands are sweating.
kyle am I

are you sure
Samuele

If I didn't go out of my mind, that's what Steve said (in Rome, to be precise). :)
ocxcxd

kyle am I wrote:
ocxcxd wrote:Xavia has a good sound, indeed. The sustainer in FLO III was replaced in Vienna, by Spalt Instruments. And what is that kind of black rubber, that's on volume knobs? It fell of from Xavia, when Steve was doing trem fluttering during the FTLOG, in Ljubljana.
Here you go.
kyle am I

ocxcxd wrote:
kyle am I wrote:
Here you go.
cool. im guessing it was when he stopped windmilling before continuing on and then tuning up lol
EyE

The other night during the show in Copenhagen Steve had some difficulties with Xavia. After finishing a song (think it was Whispering a Prayer) he walked up to Thomas and made it clear it wasn't working properly. He didn't used it after that, he used Flo III only.
kyle am I

maybe because shes a regular MIJ jem? come on, ask me how i know ;)
kyle am I

look at xavia, and then flo three. flo is a LACS, XAVIA is a regular mij jem

Look at the part of the pickguard to the left of the bridge, the part with the screw.

Image its curved where i circled it. on xavia, it will be strait

flo iiis will be curved, just like pre-2002 jems. LACS pickguards are curved, and regular MIJ jems are straight. it seems like not much to go on, but its true. evo and flo both have it (the JEM EVO does not though, another flaw for that not being an exact replica) and any pre 2002 jems have it, now, all production models have it straight (except the 20th anniversary acrylic jem and the swirl universe reissue)
Mile
Newcomer

On the same concert in Ljubljana he blew his amp up (he said it was us :guitar )
kyle am I

Mile wrote:On the same concert in Ljubljana he blew his amp up (he said it was us :guitar )
ooh i saw that video, in the middle of gravity storm.