i just got...

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Jeries

i just got...

#1 Post by Jeries » Sat May 29, 2010 5:14 pm

a set of evolutions in my ibanez rg... and it sounds...freaking amazing.

I've played a million JEMs before but really love how hot these bridge pickup is.

Although i think there is a wiring issue w/ my middle pick up (it sounds barely audible and theres hum in positions 2 and 4)
i got an actual Evolution middle single coil.

I wish i got these a long time ago- they sound great.

tom1325

Re: i just got...

#2 Post by tom1325 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:54 am

Hey,
Is your rg made of basswood, im conisdering buying some new pickups for my rg
thanks

DomitianX

#3 Post by DomitianX » Sun May 30, 2010 11:05 am

They do sound good, but I think the EVOs are a little too mid rangey for me in the bridge position. I am going to swap mine out in a couple of my RGs for Breeds and see how I like those. I love the EVO in the neck position though.

pagliai

#4 Post by pagliai » Mon May 31, 2010 1:17 am

jeries,did you put the red of the single at the hot and the black of the humbuckings too....correct?

the black of the single + white and bare of the humb.on the volume pot chassis....right?

'cause if not,it could be the problem

Jeries

#5 Post by Jeries » Mon May 31, 2010 9:45 pm

i didn't install it i paid someone to-
i also had a crunchlab/liquifer installed in my 7 string with some pushpulls/coil tapping going on.

It has a Basswood body and quilted maple top

my RG with a sustainer and an EVO2 in the bridge is basswood

Jiffzillla
Newcomer

#6 Post by Jiffzillla » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Although i think there is a wiring issue w/ my middle pick up (it sounds barely audible and theres hum in positions 2 and 4)
i got an actual Evolution middle single coil.

For what it's worth, the single coil in the middle position on my stock Jem is very weak and has hum in position 2 and 4 also. I always just assumed that it was supposed to be like that, but your post has me questioning it. I bought my Jem brand new so there haven't been any mods done to it. (outside of swapping the volume and tone knobs) Hmmm...

Jeries

#7 Post by Jeries » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:20 pm

ok here's a little update.

I called DiMarzio about the middle pickup because the guy installing it said- 'well you should get pickups that match better' he said the windings are not like they would be on a perfect set- i thought that was crazy cuz it is a perfect EVO set.

DiMarzio said it is a perfect set and shouldn't buzz- and they thought the middle pickup wasn't good- they thought it got ZAPPED with the wrong polarity.
I took the middle pickup out and sent it to Dimarzio. They said it worked fine- but sent me a new one

Dimarzio sent me the proper wiring diagram to give the guy cuz i and they thought he was installing it wrong.

So..after a little bit the dude installing it was talking to dimarzio back and fourth trying to figure out what the problem was. Dimarzio wanted to see all pickups at their bench-
so we sent them all 3 pickups- they said everything looked fine and normal.

At this point the guy installed the pickups and i took the guitar home- It still buzzes but it does sound good.

The guy installing at this point was trying to gouge me (like trying to charge me $20 to install the second middle pickup and $40 to install all 3 back even though i paid him in full for the install 3 months ago- and dimarzio's telling me the pickups are fine- its his fault in some way)

So anyway there's an update- if you have any questions i could answer to better help you w/ your pickups/guitar feel free to ask because i was/am having the same issues

so anyway- i dont use positions 2-3-4 anyway so it sounds great

I have an RG w/EVOs an RG with a sustainer and EVO2 and a 7 string w/ a Crunchlab and Liquifer

they sounds GREAT (the guitars suck and are falling apart and won't stay in tune- but they sound amazing)

cosmic ape

#8 Post by cosmic ape » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:03 pm

I'm a little puzzled reading this. I did something like this on my cheap RG and while I did encounter some problems, eventually I found a fix for them. After some confusion with a different 5 way switch (and the fact that I'm left handed and the pickup instructions were "backwards") I got a crappy low end guitar to sound pretty amazing.

I used a Dimarzio Evolution Neck, a Steve's Special for the bridge and a Fender Vintage Noiseless for the middle. I have to say though, having a different brand pickup with a wiring diagram from Dimarzio made me do some trial and error. The wires were a different color and at first I did notice an output different between the middle and the other pickups. Unfortunately, I can't remember what I did because it was three years ago and I sold that guitar, too. I remember swapping some wires I thought were in the right place and that did the trick...

Good luck with your guitar, bud!

And BTW, the people at Dimarzio are top notch. I had never installed pickups before and they were so helpful, even though I kept portraying myself as an awful mess, lol. I am pretty confident to say that their quality and incredible customer service have won over to the point I don't think I'll even try another brand before I buy their products first.