Steve's modified Marshall amps by Jose Arrendondo

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
wizard
Newcomer

Steve's modified Marshall amps by Jose Arrendondo

#1 Post by wizard » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Hello everyone i glad to be part if this great site,im a huge Steve Vai fan,im also i guitar player,i was wondering if anyone knew about Steve's modified marshall amp super leads that were modified by jose arrendondo(no longer with us passed away)and what type of mods that were done to them,i know that those amps were stolen along time ago,i dont know if they were returned back to steve,i was also into steve's older guitars like his old green meanie charvel and some of hot rodded strats,i was never into the japanese guitars that steve played,such as the Ibanez jem guitars, i was into steve's american made guitars until i played a Ibanez prestige rg1550m guitar and i was blown away,i purchased that guitar on the spot,anyway i was just wondering about steve's modded marshall and if anyone knew about the mods that were done.

ShadyDave
Newcomer

Re: Steve's modified Marshall amps by Jose Arrendondo

#2 Post by ShadyDave » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Ah, a fellow newcomer - hello :)

I believe this thread will be of interest to you:

http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... =1&t=29914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wizard
Newcomer

#3 Post by wizard » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks but that thread did help much,Jose arrendondo was famous for modifing Edward van halen magic marshall,i was wondering if the mod he did to steves marshall was the same mod he performed on Eddies marshall,im also a huge Edward Van halen nut.I wonder if there is a way we can get Steve to join in on this.

pagliai

#4 Post by pagliai » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:30 am

basically josè did work on gain in the preamp stage and fx loop and line out to use the amp with a poweramp or to load another amp(in head 1-line out-in head 2-cab)

the gain mod is a thing really simple :
you put an overdrive before the amp......basically....the mod works to put this overdrive after the tube 1( v1)in a marshall amp and it called V2 'cause it is another tube(added),of course the tubes are 2 faces so 2 tubes so the gain stage of a marshall could have got alot of gain stages

the fx loop was another tube (only a face this time)and it was after the master volume so you could pump the fxloop with your master.

Also believe me the speaker in that era was better.......now they are made in china....and bla bla bla

check the legacy schematic here
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/pdf/amps/VL ... %20Amp.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it is an example of that

if you need some explanations i'll give them to you