scalloped neck

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
loran333

is it me , or a scalloped neck is on flo III ?

http://stnk.livejournal.com/629078.html#cutid1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RAI

Doesn't look like it to me...
Lotus Eater

The Lighting is really weird though.
Samuele

I believe it's just a matter of lighting, and of course the camera. I've seen that before, and I would say it's due to how the lights hit the frets, and how the camera reacts to that.

Chances are, if you had been there when that shot was taken, you wouldn't have had the same impression. Anyway, sometimes the frets really stand out, like in the following pic:

http://www.vai.com/SightsSounds/japan20 ... oka06.html
Bigtrex257
Newcomer

It could just be the lighting. Obviously, you can tell that the last four frets are definitely scalloped, but it does kind of looks like the frets above that are casting a slight shadow on the neck that may hint that they are scalloped as well. It is very hard to tell and I wouldn't put a definitive answer on it either way yet. I do like the fact that Steve is starting to play some newer guitars though. I guess this was before the Legacy II was finished enough for him to start gigging with the prototypes or anything. Interesting question though about the scalloped frets.
DomitianX

Look scalloped to me. This shot here definitely shows it. The 20th fret looks scalloped and it isnt on a normal Jem.

Its possible its not, but he could have just been playing around with something. You never know.
jbstratman

The guitar in the link in the first post is definitely scalloped.
Pulled the image, enlarged it, adjusted the brightness & blurred it a bit to show the gradient in shadows better.

For comparison, here is a normal Jem neck with only the top 4 frets scalloped.

DR
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Steve has been experimenting with lightly scalloped necks recently.

Mikey
vai.com
al

i much prefare the feel of a scalloped neck, and a little light scallop like on the jem there would be awsome looks very nice
DomitianX

Mikey wrote:Steve has been experimenting with lightly scalloped necks recently.

Mikey
vai.com
I wonder how that will work with the true temperament stuff? Imagine scalloping that fret board?

:D
RAI

That first pic just didn't look like a fully scalloped (think Yngwie) neck to me, but if it's lightly scalloped, then that could be it...
al

it looks lighter than the yngwie strat alrite
pjaydee

The boy stood on the burning deck eating chips and scallops one fell down his trouser leg and burnt him on the.............ankle!! Lol! Sorry! :wink:
guitarmattms

Sounds like Mr. Vai is bored with the traditional fretboard. lol It's probably done in a half scalloped or even a quarter scalloped. Cool pics and it's great to see someone like vai to be still exterminating with things.
Patill

DomitianX wrote:Look scalloped to me. This shot here definitely shows it. The 20th fret looks scalloped and it isnt on a normal Jem.

Its possible its not, but he could have just been playing around with something. You never know.
Now how do you know this is Steve and not some guy who just scalloped his JEM???

RIGHT, you can tell it by the sexy breast hair :mrgreen:.