How does Steve keep his rig so quiet?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Jayez
Newcomer

How does Vai keep the noise and hiss from all the gain he uses quiet, when i've looked through his rig setup guides and i haven't seen any noise reduction pedals?
pagliai

well the legacy hasn't got a lot of noise
Jeries

honestly...from being in the room (practically alone) with him playing, and hearing his sound a foot in front of me...

his actually TONE and SOUND is far less distorted and heavy and overdrive than people think.

that experienced really changed my view as to TONE as a guitar player...
its all in the hands and the player-

players substitute distortion and compression for skill and cleanliness

i bet vai could pull off any of his distorted songs clean and it still sound damn flawless

so in conclusion- his actual tone in my opinion is not really as distorted and gain-y as people think it is...its very subtle and not full of gain and distortion and clipping
Lotus Eater

pagliai wrote:well the legacy hasn't got a lot of noise

I wish they produced more of your Legacy model. Mine is noisy as F*&^K on the gain channel even with the volume turned down on my guitar. I need to use a decimator to quiet that beast.
8bigtubes

Lotus Eater wrote:I wish they produced more of your Legacy model. Mine is noisy as F*&^K on the gain channel even with the volume turned down on my guitar. I need to use a decimator to quiet that beast.
Of course you can't get away with using some sort of noise gate :roll: As long as you have the distortion any higher than 5, you're gonna need a gate. It's not like this is a problem faced only by the Legacy, most of my other amps need some form of noise gate too. Bogner, Custom Audio and VHT.....you name it, I have some slight gating activated on my G-Force for the OD channels.
Jayez
Newcomer

got any recommendations on a noise gate?
pagliai

jeries is correct at all,so with low gain around 6/7 my legacy is quiet ,guys i don't know what else i must tell you.
I never used a noise gate in my life,your heads play a noise like ssssssssscccccccccccccc or what else?
Svelt Pen

Too many players use a noise gate. Work on perfecting your muting technique with both hands, and also turn the volume on your guitar down when you're not playing. Easy.
GYiakoumi

When Steve finishes a song live or is changing guitars he usually puts his Morley Little Alligator Volume Pedal up so the signal is muted.
Jeries

the ISP decimator is the greatest pedal i've ever owned/used/played ever
its remarkable
i cant think more highly of it
8bigtubes

pagliai wrote:jeries is correct at all,so with low gain around 6/7 my legacy is quiet ,guys i don't know what else i must tell you.
I never used a noise gate in my life,your heads play a noise like ssssssssscccccccccccccc or what else?
How high do you have your master volume when you play ?
pagliai

4/6 it depends from the tone i wanna obtain.
I' ve got 3 legacy and all of them are quiet,also on big stages i never had noise problems,i 've got a lot of heads and maybe the legacy is the quiter ,maybe soldano too.But it is the same like jcm800 or ecstasy or so on,with gain at 6/8 i never had problems.
Normal noise from tube amp,maybe you've got microphonic tubes?
Of course if you put a compressor or distortion pedals before the head at high levels the white noise 'll come out but in my opinion legacy 's got enough gain for rhythm parts ....and solos too at high master settings.
If you need you can boost it with pedals during some solos but you are playin so you can't hear the noise.

Situations are a couple:
or you want a complete silence and it is too much from a tube amp,talkin about guitar -cable-amp with gain at 6/8 and master 4/6 with no fxs.
Or there is something not workin good and i think about tubes.
DomitianX

My Legacy is super quiet. Even with a TS-9 or DS1 up front. I've had so many rigs over the years that were way noisier than the Legacy. I hardly notice its on sometimes when Im not playing.
pagliai

i agree with you
ZappaIrl

to say that steve's sound isnt as gainy or overdriven as people think.....is fairly wrong....just listen to the jemini demo.....its as distorted as you can get!!!!!