Jems and low tunings

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
bennyvx78

So what pickups are the best for low tunings in a jem
like Vai does? ..Evo's, breed or other? ..
resha

I think chu, mojo and the various mirror tops have Breeds
bennyvx78

Yeah , But aren't those breeds not based on the more classic
soundin' p.u's? . Doesn't drop-C and so on not need hi output / gain
P.u's.. Yet I guess those breeds sound warmer..
scottinomaha

I play in D and have no probs with my Evo pickups messed with drop c once and no noticeable difference
llamahead

the only prob i see with this is loose strings.

what i would do is, i'd get heavier gauge strings for example i'd go from 9's in standard E to 12's in drop C :twisted:
scottinomaha

I went from 9 heavies to 10 regs. 10-46, that did it for me.

llamahead

while we are on the topic. . . . . . my friend uses 13s on his strat. but he says that with in ibanez that won't sound good. . . . . . ?
scottinomaha

Heavy guages tend to produce alot more string noise even Stevei Ray Vaughn dropped down to 11's or 12's at the end.
Matheau

llamahead wrote:while we are on the topic. . . . . . my friend uses 13s on his strat. but he says that with in ibanez that won't sound good. . . . . . ?
Unless he was referring to a particular model or pick-up, it is hard to say. Really the best way to find out is to actually try it. Sometimes things like that are hard to predict. Different pick-ups can react differently to changes in string gauge.
llamahead

Matheau wrote:
llamahead wrote:while we are on the topic. . . . . . my friend uses 13s on his strat. but he says that with in ibanez that won't sound good. . . . . . ?
Unless he was referring to a particular model or pick-up, it is hard to say. Really the best way to find out is to actually try it. Sometimes things like that are hard to predict. Different pick-ups can react differently to changes in string gauge.
good point :D cuz the only real difference with an ibanez and a strat is the pickup configuration while the model of pickup is still variable
pagliai

it depends from the wood ,generally speakin resha is right about breed and the guy in the photo about 0.10 on drop tunings
Splish

resha wrote:I think chu, mojo and the various mirror tops have Breeds
Chu? :?
joshua202020

Yeah, Chu?
llamahead

yeah!! chu?? :lol:
GuitarBizarre

scottinomaha wrote:Heavy guages tend to produce alot more string noise even Stevei Ray Vaughn dropped down to 11's or 12's at the end.

Actually, Stevie has gone on record as saying he's used a .18 guages string for the high E in the studio, but usually uses 13s live. his reasoning was 'Go big on strings. They'll eat your hands, your bridge and your tuning pegs, but they sound great.'