For Sale: Steve Vai's own Jem VAI2K DNA

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

For Sale: Steve Vai's own Jem VAI2K DNA

#1 Post by Mikey » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:18 am

Hi Folks,

Steve Vai is selling his prototype Jem DNA guitar for charity.

This is Steve's only DNA guitar. It is the same one photographed in the Ibanez catalog, and the one that has spent some time in the Hollywood Guitar Center RockWalk Museum. It is one of only 300 world wide.

We're selling this guitar in an effort to raise funds for Cliff Cultreri. Cliff Cultreri is the A&R executive who ‘discovered’ both Satriani and Vai as well as many other popular recording artists, while working at Relativity Records. Cultreri is currently suffering from a host of Auto-Immune and Connective-Tissue disorders that are attacking his immune system, a one in 100 million occurrence that causes severe pain and physical problems. Vai hope to raise funds to help Cultreri and his family’s financial needs.

We are going to auction this guitar on Ebay - which will begin early next month. We will entertain offers for the guitar before that though, but please be aware that we are setting a high reserve.

Here's what Steve says about the guitar:
Steve Himself wrote:I received two DNA guitars for my personal collection. One was stolen from my studio and I used the other in some recordings for a while and then let it live at Guitar Center Hollywood for their display for years.

In an attempt to raise money for a sick friend who has made tremendous contributions to the music industry and actually gave me my start by releasing Flex-Able, Passion and Warfare, Sex And Religion and Alien Love Secrets, the guitar is being auctioned off and 100% of the income will go to his support.

If one of these guitars pop up in a hundred years from now and they scrape the DNA to make a Steve Vai clone, perhaps that guy can get his music on the radio.
Steve most recently used this guitar extensively during rehearsals for the Zappa Plays Zappa tour, but decided not to take it on the road where it may get damaged before the auction.

It is in really excellent condition - the only blemish on the guitar is a small dent along the edge of the bottom of the guitar near the strap button. It is smaller than a match head.

You can email us at: talk2us@vai.com for more info. I'll also be updating this post with a link to the auction once that is underway.

The back/front photo above was taken by me in my studio and shows the guitar in its current state.

More photos here from the catalog and the NAMM show when the guitar was launched: http://www.jemsite.com/news/namm2k/index.htm

Mikey :)
vai.com

StoleN GuitaR

#2 Post by StoleN GuitaR » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:24 am

Good luck to the buyer of this amazing beautiful guitar!

I wish i had a spare $20,000 lying around.. I would honestly sell every instrument i own just to own that..

its a brave thing for steve to do.

Mikey, is this DNA #1 ?

God Bless

Si

R1FSR

#3 Post by R1FSR » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:39 am

I wish i had some ££ i would seriously go for it .
1 its a awesome piece of Vai history
2 awesome guitar
and most important of all its for a great cause :D

Angelicosis

#4 Post by Angelicosis » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:08 am

I'd love to could afford buying this one, it's an absolute beauty!!! my dream, maybe someday

All the best,
Angelika

pauldlr

#5 Post by pauldlr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:15 am

I'd better get onto e-bay now and sell all my worldly possesions for that! :D
I'll definately keep an eye on it unless I need to re-mortgage!

Dan McAwesome

#6 Post by Dan McAwesome » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:31 am

Beautiful...abosulutely beautiful...

@ Mikey, will it be signed by steve for the person who bids the most on it?

- Dan

EyE

#7 Post by EyE » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:00 pm

My favorite Jem2KDNA!! This Swirl is soooo cool! I hope they raise big $ for it. Good luck Vai.com!!! :wink:

btw,
Steve Himself wrote:I received two DNA guitars for my personal collection. One was stolen from my studio and I used the other in some recordings for a while and then let it live at Guitar Center Hollywood for their display for years.
Mikey, the other DNA guitar Steve received is that 7stingDNA? And if so, is that one stolen? :shock:

lespaulplus

#8 Post by lespaulplus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:16 am

This is a little bit out of the matter but maybe with a different policy regarding the medical system in the States that things wouldn't happen....

USA is great while you are young and healthy.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#9 Post by Mikey » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:22 am

EyE wrote:My favorite Jem2KDNA!! This Swirl is soooo cool! I hope they raise big $ for it. Good luck Vai.com!!! :wink:

btw,
Mikey, the other DNA guitar Steve received is that 7stingDNA? And if so, is that one stolen? :shock:
No - the baritone 7-string DNA wasn't stolen.

vai.com

EyE

#10 Post by EyE » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:50 am

Mikey wrote:
EyE wrote:My favorite Jem2KDNA!! This Swirl is soooo cool! I hope they raise big $ for it. Good luck Vai.com!!! :wink:

btw,
No - the baritone 7-string DNA wasn't stolen.

vai.com
Pffuuu!! Thank God!! :wink: But damn those assholes who can't stay from someone else's belongings. :? But you know how that's like.

brentm

#11 Post by brentm » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:37 pm

It's like these one of a kind works of art that are stolen. They can't see the light of day after the theft, so they sit quietly in solitary confinement. It must be what hell is for a guitar.

EyE

#12 Post by EyE » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:42 am

I think probably Roland Schemers will bid. Like everybody allready knows, he owns "Red Lace", "Neville" and "Pia".

But if I remember it right, he sold Red Lace a few years back. Can anybody confirm this?

jam-man

#13 Post by jam-man » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:21 am

StoleN GuitaR wrote:Good luck to the buyer of this amazing beautiful guitar!
Good luck? GOOD LUCK!? Why would he need good luck, he (or she) will have this beauty!!!

Can I please trade my house for it?

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#14 Post by Mikey » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:09 am

The auction begins tonight at 6:30 PST

CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE AUCTION (not visible until 6:30 tonight)

vai.com

brentm

#15 Post by brentm » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:19 pm

Wow, I don't even think my home equity line of credit will cover it... that is some serious jing!

Good cause tho :) I'll see you at the show for Cliff.

-Brent