Ibanez EP9 Euphoria

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
User avatar
EyE
Member
Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:50 am

What's all the fuss about?? I myself wouldn't mind to have a EP9!?!? If I had some cash i would try and buy. :wink:
Neube
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:46 am

I have a R. Blackmore strat made in japan and one american strat also. I had to replace a few parts in both guitars (both had problems in keeping tunning). They're fantastic instruments but i prefer the japanese one. By the time i bought it people used to say that japanese products were bad. well, I'm sorry for those who paid 3x the price to have the same guitar. I love my japanese one. Long live to Asia!!!!
User avatar
R1FSR
Member
Member
Posts: 1843
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 3:45 am

edit
Last edited by R1FSR on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vaiisagoodguitarplayer
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:17 pm

I don't know about those guitars. all I know is that I really want one of those EP9s. With my luck it'll probably get discontinued. I know....I'll save up get really excited and then they'll be gone. Please Ibanez....please!!!!! don't do it!!!!
RAR!
Member
Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:25 pm

Jeroen wrote:
Listen, nobody forces you to buy an Euphoria - or even Ibanez. If it's not your thing, fine. You're free to do what you like. But consider this: if you dismiss something purely based on speculation and not controlling the facts for your self with your own eyes, then one way or the other, you're gonna lose out of some great stuff and the loss will be yours only.

And Ibanez *is* flying high. Just because some people on Jemsite claim that it's going like crap doesn't make it so. That's a place with a lot of interesting speculation and discussion, but it's just that - speculation.
Now I'm getting really frustrated.

I cant believe how I've been jumped like this!

WHAT THE HELL DOES "JEMSITE" HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING? I never mentioned it. . .whats this all about???


I have to say this a third time, because nobody got it the first two times:
I AM GOING TO GIVE THE EP9 A FAIR TEST DRIVE, I AM NOT "DISMISSING IT". I'M DISCOURAGED AND DISSAPOINTED BY THE FACT THAT ITS MADE IN CHINA, BECAUSE I FEEL THAT IF I PAY A GRAND AND A HALF FOR A GUITAR, IT HAD BETTER BE TOP SHELF QUALITY, I.E. MADE IN JAPAN LIKE THE OTHER JEMS.

THAT is all that I really wanted to express. I would love for it to be an excellent guitar. Hopefully, it is.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am

RAR! wrote:
Jeroen wrote:
Listen, nobody forces you to buy an Euphoria - or even Ibanez. If it's not your thing, fine. You're free to do what you like. But consider this: if you dismiss something purely based on speculation and not controlling the facts for your self with your own eyes, then one way or the other, you're gonna lose out of some great stuff and the loss will be yours only.

And Ibanez *is* flying high. Just because some people on Jemsite claim that it's going like crap doesn't make it so. That's a place with a lot of interesting speculation and discussion, but it's just that - speculation.
Now I'm getting really frustrated.

I cant believe how I've been jumped like this!

WHAT THE HELL DOES "JEMSITE" HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING? I never mentioned it. . .whats this all about???


I have to say this a third time, because nobody got it the first two times:
I AM GOING TO GIVE THE EP9 A FAIR TEST DRIVE, I AM NOT "DISMISSING IT". I'M DISCOURAGED AND DISSAPOINTED BY THE FACT THAT ITS MADE IN CHINA, BECAUSE I FEEL THAT IF I PAY A GRAND AND A HALF FOR A GUITAR, IT HAD BETTER BE TOP SHELF QUALITY, I.E. MADE IN JAPAN LIKE THE OTHER JEMS.

THAT is all that I really wanted to express. I would love for it to be an excellent guitar. Hopefully, it is.
Dude, nobody is jumping on you personally, and the mention of Jemsite is only as an aside because much of the "I'm not buying because it's made in China" discussion seems to be going on there.

We totally hear the point you are making. The discussion has broadened beyond your comment and we're just talking generally.

It's all good, and in the end, you are completely entitled to whatever opinion you like.

We're just having a friendly debate.

Cheers,

Mikey :)
vai.com
amokalex
Member
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:17 am

:shock: it seems that the discrimination of "Made in China" goes on years after the death of Bruce Lee! He was made in china!!!

and what about the cliche`about russian made?? Now most of the tubes in all the amps out there come from Russia! Does that make it any worse, than buying ones from usa or where ever?

I think, trying the guitar and looking at the workmanship will convince the Buyer if it is worth the price being asked!

Naturally, the most important fact is that the axe sounds good! irrelavent from where it comes from!

cya,

amokout
User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2626
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am

Mikey wrote:
RAR! wrote:
Now I'm getting really frustrated.

I cant believe how I've been jumped like this!
Dude, nobody is jumping on you personally, and the mention of Jemsite is only as an aside because much of the "I'm not buying because it's made in China" discussion seems to be going on there.
^ What he said.

Besides, a discussionboard where everybody agrees makes for boring reading, right? ;)

I do get your point, RAR.

I hope you get to play one, and like it - if semi accoustics are your thing.

I got an Ep7 just recently. A lot of people went ape when that one came out because it was made in Korea, but I've gotta tell ya, it's the best axe in my collection. It's stunningly beautiful & plays like a dream. For example, the quality of inlays beats my '98 7vwh neck which has way more filler around the inlays.
dex
Member
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:09 am

The biggest problem I have is not China itself but the fact that the cost of labour in China allows for them to be able to make $99 guitars that retail chains sell at profit.
That means that the actual unit cost is very, very low.
In my mind with the cost of labour in China even $500 will buy you a hand made quality crafted acoustic so paying $1400 for a mass produced one is a major rip off.
Expect this to be dicontinued within a year or to be "available to order" like the Universe is - Ibanez got the pricing wrong on this one and that's pretty much it......unless they decided that the price on this specific product is very unelastic and the core (buy anything Vai) potential buyers will pay any money for an EP9....

And about all the people who say that Japan and then Korea were treated the same way I only want to add that Japan competed at a price point - Japanese Jacksons and Fenders were cheaper than their US counterparts for many years before Japan made its name and started to compete at the same price point and they still struggle to do it now - US Fender will ALWAYS bring a premium over a Japanese one.
Korea are still 100% locked into the 1/2 price imitation products and we are at least 10 years away from the point where Korean made guitars will be able to compete with Japanese made ones never mind US made ones.
China is at least 10 years behind Korea and 20 years behind Japan so they are most def not ready to bring out Made in China strats at the same price point as a Made in Japan ones - they'll be an utter failure so when Ibanez bring out a Chinese acoustic at $1400........ well let's just say it's not going to fly off the shelfs. :wink:

In conclusion I want to say that I personaly have not posted in the Jemsite thread bashing the EP9 but look at it this way - the jemsite has more mature audience where people actually own jems and play them and look on things in this way - "I can buy a jem so I don't need to get an RG350 and try to convince myself/the world that it's just as good as a jem".
On vai.com it's the exact oposite.........

ilia
Alcaline
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:58 am

I hope a JEM is way better then my RG350!


I love the look of the EP9, that is the only thing I can comment on, cause I have
never tried it.. But I will, with an open mind. and I dont realy care where it is made if
it plays good and feels good its a winner!

Its that simple realy.
RAR!
Member
Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:25 pm

Well, Ok.

I want it to remain a friendly discussion. But you guys were quoting what I was saying several times, so I felt like I was being "attacked".


After looking around Jemsite, I think I understand the Jemsite comment. I found a thread abou the EP9, and lots of people saying things along the lines of what I said about the Chinese production. I hadn't seen that thread until now, so now I get what Jeroen was talking about.


Believe it or not, I fell in love with a $1000 Korean-made instrument: A Breedlove AC25/SR plus

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/product ... 5_sr_plus/

Played it at my local Guitar Center. Its just as nice as the $3000 American Breedloves, but made in Korea to knock off $2000 of the tag. Hell of a good guitar, with a cool cutaway, nice electronics and a very bright tone. I loved it. Ive been wanting a good electro-acoustic for both playing, performing, and recording. My Fender DG-11 is a cheapo, and its not fun at all to play (whats the point if it ain't fun?)

So, Ive learned something, and resumed faith in the EP9. ;)
Vaism
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:20 am

when steve plays acoustic in public for like shows or whatever other event is he required to use the EP9 or can he play whatever guitar he wants without penalty?
User avatar
brentm
Member
Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 7:14 am

dex wrote:The biggest problem I have is not China itself but the fact that the cost of labour in China allows for them to be able to make $99 guitars that retail chains sell at profit.
That means that the actual unit cost is very, very low.
In my mind with the cost of labour in China even $500 will buy you a hand made quality crafted acoustic so paying $1400 for a mass produced one is a major rip off.
Expect this to be dicontinued within a year or to be "available to order" like the Universe is - Ibanez got the pricing wrong on this one and that's pretty much it......unless they decided that the price on this specific product is very unelastic and the core (buy anything Vai) potential buyers will pay any money for an EP9....

And about all the people who say that Japan and then Korea were treated the same way I only want to add that Japan competed at a price point - Japanese Jacksons and Fenders were cheaper than their US counterparts for many years before Japan made its name and started to compete at the same price point and they still struggle to do it now - US Fender will ALWAYS bring a premium over a Japanese one.
Korea are still 100% locked into the 1/2 price imitation products and we are at least 10 years away from the point where Korean made guitars will be able to compete with Japanese made ones never mind US made ones.
China is at least 10 years behind Korea and 20 years behind Japan so they are most def not ready to bring out Made in China strats at the same price point as a Made in Japan ones - they'll be an utter failure so when Ibanez bring out a Chinese acoustic at $1400........ well let's just say it's not going to fly off the shelfs. :wink:

In conclusion I want to say that I personaly have not posted in the Jemsite thread bashing the EP9 but look at it this way - the jemsite has more mature audience where people actually own jems and play them and look on things in this way - "I can buy a jem so I don't need to get an RG350 and try to convince myself/the world that it's just as good as a jem".
On vai.com it's the exact oposite.........

ilia
Dude, I was going to go through your post and point out how incorrect you are, throughout but I decided it's not really worth the effort.

Basically, there's a long list of reasons of why goods from China are so inexpensive (not using the word cheap). One of the reasons is that the Yuan - US Dollar currency conversion has been pegged (fixed) for many, many years. You might have heard our fearless leader talk about "economic reform" for China in his hollow speeches. Among the other reasons are, governmental restrictions on trade (forcing export), the lack of enviornmental regulations, and on and on and on....

In short, China pretty much owns the US debt, and this type of economic activity will surely cost us dearly in years to come.

As for who's 10 years behind who, I have no idea what you are talking about, unless you're talking about stereotypes...

And as for the demographics of Jemsite vs. Vai.com, speak for yourself.

This thread needs to die.

-Brent
dex
Member
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:09 am

Dude I might be wrong but when I see in my local music store that the Chinese Squier is £99, the Mexican Fender is £299, the Japanese one is £499 and the US strat is £699 - I can't see how a Made in China strat can be succesful at £699......can you?
This is not about stereotypes - it's about pure economics, cost of labour and marketing of brand names.
China are not ready to compete at the same price point and that's a fact.

And about speaking for myself - in case you haven't noticed I'm one of the very, VERY few jemsite people who bother to post here. :wink:
I'd bet you anything that 9/10 people jumping and yelling in this thread can not afford an EP9 and are in day dream mode.

ilia
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am

So how many Jems do you own dex? I'm curious to know how the "other half" lives.

Let's not start trying to bring elitism into the argument. Jemsite and Vai.com have two unique purposes and there is some crossover. As you probably noticed (since you are so kind to come over here and grace us with your presence,) some people here often direct people with specific Jem or Ibanez questions to Jemsite. Why? Because it's a resorce of information on that subject. You will notice that Jemsite is not largely concerned with Steve Vai. That's where we come in.

Oh, and thanks for your estute analysis of the socio-economic background of this messageboard's demographic. I'm sure your powers of intuition are in high demand from market research firms.

:roll:

As usual, you are big on opinions that are low on substance.

Mikey
vai.com
Post Reply