Ibanez EP9 Euphoria

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

dex wrote:Dude I might be wrong but when I see in my local music store that the Chinese Squier is £99, the Mexican Fender is £299, the Japanese one is £499 and the US strat is £699 - I can't see how a Made in China strat can be succesful at £699......can you?
This is not about stereotypes - it's about pure economics, cost of labour and marketing of brand names.
China are not ready to compete at the same price point and that's a fact.

And about speaking for myself - in case you haven't noticed I'm one of the very, VERY few jemsite people who bother to post here. :wink:
I'd bet you anything that 9/10 people jumping and yelling in this thread can not afford an EP9 and are in day dream mode.

ilia
I count 9 diffrent jem owners in this thread, the majority owning more than one. How many do you have? One or more? Then you'd be nr 10. And it's exluding the peeps posted here that I don't know, so the figure could be even higher.

J
Virulent

dex wrote:I'd bet you anything that 9/10 people jumping and yelling in this thread can not afford an EP9 and are in day dream mode.
Yeah. I'd like to post some sort of intelligent reply in this thread, but in my time off from collecting aluminum cans, I'm too busy spending 'quality time' in the basement with the Ibanez catalog.

S :oops: :P
dex

:D Wow so 3 people jumped and none of you addressed the real point I was making - how many of you would pay US Strat money for a Chinese Strat?
The only reason people buy Squire/Mexican Strat/Japanese Jackson is because their money don't stretch enough for a US one.
That's the one and only reason - money no object EVERYONE will get the top of the line product every time.
I don't know where you guys reside but there's no way you think people choose Samsung over Sony or Sony over B&O because they're better....or do you?

And Mikey - there's really no need to get personal, I'd just wait 12 months and see how many EP9s fly off the shelfs. :wink:

Willy waving is uber silly but I'll tell you what, rather than get upset at what jemsite folk like me think just run out and get an EP9.
Don't convince me how stupid and prejudiced I am - put your money where your mouth is, I'd personly put mine in a Martin........

ilia
musicslave

hey guys, it's not how much you pay for that guitar, but what you do with it that matters. I have seen people with very expensive guitars who don't play very well, and others with the "chinese" strat who were great. But to answer the question? I would not pay that much for a chinese made strat.
I did have an opportunity to buy an SRV strat for $125 American(yes I bought it :wink:
Alcaline

Often the ones with the most expensive and "best" equipment are the ones that lack in skills.
dex wrote:I'd bet you anything that 9/10 people jumping and yelling in this thread can not afford an EP9 and are in day dream mode.
Now thats just stupid! What on earth does that have to do with anything?
More mature u say!? :P :lol:
brentm

dex wrote::D Wow so 3 people jumped and none of you addressed the real point I was making - how many of you would pay US Strat money for a Chinese Strat?
See, you're diverting attention from the quality of the product vs. place of manufacture of the Ibanez Ep. As for the import strat, I dont believe the quality of the guitar could compete with its US made counterpart (quality in terms of woods, electronics, craftsmanship, attention to detail, etc). I've played some of the Mexican strats. The rosewood fretboard on this particular one had a big piece of filler in it, and it had dot inlays (filler wasn't even close to a dot, it was just low quality wood). Not to mention the lower quality electronics, and.....

You're confusing the location of manufacture with the quality of the product. Why couldn't China make an excellent guitar if they had ALL the same ingredients the Fujigen factory had (and the oversight of Ibanez's their top luthiers)?
dex wrote: Don't convince me how stupid and prejudiced I am - put your money where your mouth is, I'd personly put mine in a Martin........
It's impossible to convince you of those things... and it's your God given right to spend your money as you want.
dex

brentm wrote:You're confusing the location of manufacture with the quality of the product. Why couldn't China make an excellent guitar if they had ALL the same ingredients the Fujigen factory had (and the oversight of Ibanez's their top luthiers)?
They can, anyone can.
This has nothing to do with race or geographical location, my point is not that the guitar is not excellent - it's that they have missed the price mark.
An excellently made guitar in China will cost 1/2 the price of an excellently made guitar in Korea will cost 1/2 the price of an excellently made guitar in Japan so when the EP gets made in China I want to be passed on some of the savings Ibanez made.
$700 price tag will guarantee me trying it, $1400 will guarantee me trying it if it said Crafted in Japan on it. :wink:

And my silly coments were promped by the so many "I like that, I'll start saving for it" and the likes and I'm just frustrated that nothing apealing to me has come out since 2002 - the 7VSBL.
I'd gladly just go out and buy a new jem if there was a new jem I wanted - like something with a maple top, or a red jem or this one

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar017.html

I'd buy it in a heartbeat but is seems to me that Ibanez are forgeting that the people who are interested in their top of the range Jems and JS's are people like me - on the wrong side of 30 who grew up wanting an FP and who have moved on from the flowers/gold/mirror/gaudy and want something classy.
That prompted my comment - I don't have to save/justify (not that I'm rich or anything) but the only thing grabbing my atention at my local store is the beautiful classy line of PRSs.
In my eyes Ibanez are failing me, they are completely losing me with a mirror topped Jem that is lacking a vine yet is more expensive than the VWH, Korean made laminated top EP7, Chinese made EP9......
It's my own personal rant that just happened to be voiced on this thread.

Like I said - I'm stupid and prejudiced and don't know better but instead of getting all worked up at my silly coments just go out and buy an EP9 so Ibanez can keep the producton for next year as well.

ilia
amokalex

:? I do not remember exactlly who it was? It may also be steve??

I had read in an Article that this certain person was in several shops searching for an expensive vintage strat!! assuming pre CBS and in the money range from somewhat $5-20,000 dollars!

the problem was they all did not sound as good as the Mexican strat, that he had tried in the shop and it costed a fraction of what a vintage strat would cost!

so that certain person bought the Mex Strat and put the rest back in the Bank and had a great weekend with their Family!!!

and what you gonna dooo!?! :roll:

cya
brentm

amokalex wrote::?

I had read in an Article that this certain person was in several shops searching for an expensive vintage strat!! assuming pre CBS and in the money range from somewhat $5-20,000 dollars!

the problem was they all did not sound as good as the Mexican strat, that he had tried in the shop and it costed a fraction of what a vintage strat would cost!

so that certain person bought the Mex Strat and put the rest back in the Bank and had a great weekend with their Family!!!

and what you gonna dooo!?! :roll:

cya
It's all about floating boats and turning cranks.

Keep those cogs turning!!!! Vintage strats certainly have an allure to them, but check this out.

My favorite guitar out of my collection is an Ibanez 2375 "Strato". I picked this up a couple of weeks ago for a modest 275 USD. I have a number of RG guitars (JEM7VWH included in that number) along with an MC400.

Bottom line, this guitar rocks my socks. I can't stop playing it. It seems to have so much to say.

I have to think back on the era of this guitar. It was made between 1971-1974 (pre serial), back when Ibanez was more of a "copy" company. When I thumb through the Ibanez "Untold Story" book, I see the cars from that era (big US boats) and can't help but think what people thought of this guitar when it came out. It's one of the finest instruments (and a damn fine copy of a Stratocaster) I have.

-Brent
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

dex wrote: An excellently made guitar in China will cost 1/2 the price of an excellently made guitar in Korea will cost 1/2 the price of an excellently made guitar in Japan so when the EP gets made in China I want to be passed on some of the savings Ibanez made.
You assume it's savings.

Ever noticed how stuff is getting more expensive for you every year? What makes you assume that isn't the case for a business also?
What if I tell you that moving to China helps Ibanez keeping a business?
What if I tell you that Ibanez is in this line of work to make money? Or do you think they are a charity?
The money they save out by moving to China doesn't equal profit. Besides the fact that moving to a diffrent country equals an investment on their part, it may very well be that the margin they get for each unit now is roughly the same as they got a few years ago in Korea (talking about Accousics here, since those never came out of the Fujigen factory IIRC) - simply because everything is getting more expensive (and that's not just operational expenses)

In my eyes Ibanez are failing me, they are completely losing me with a mirror topped Jem that is lacking a vine yet is more expensive than the VWH,
And if ibanez had added a vine, loads of people would start ranting again how the jem they bought is diffrent from the one Steve is using...
Korean made laminated top EP7,
It's a solid quilted maple top (and sides, and back). I don't know where that laminated thing came from - I've seen it before, but it just ain't so.
Chinese made EP9......
It's my own personal rant that just happened to be voiced on this thread.
That's ok, let it all out, I say :)
Seriously, there are tons and tons of brands, don't let a name keep you. You should play what you like and if you decide that Ibanez is not your thing, more power to you. I'm only argueing here that it may be wise to base that decision on the right information.
amokalex

:roll: looks like I will just have to wait until one of these anti-China cats discovers that the Axe is made in China, throws it into Ebay for half the price!

I dooo need a new Acoustic, and I am ready to buy just in case anyone wants to get rid of theirs??? :wink:

you know where to reach me!!!

cya

:twisted:
s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i

im buying one this week probably in 2/3 days..the EP9 that is......god the sound is so good
Pro-string strummer

Mikey wrote:
RAR! wrote:Well, shit, that just ruined it for me.

Here I was, all happy and thinking about buying one of these, and I come across this terrible bit of information.

Made in China.

I cant justify dropping $1400 on a made in China POS.

Ibanez, I'm really ashamed of you. :(
one thing... EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA... yeah that's it
I'd like someone to please explain to me the reason why made in China is bad... or are they just saying it because they heard other people saying it?

Mikey
vai.com
s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i

why are you even starting with critisising the guitar and the origin (china) when you never played it...thats like when 1 chinaman (asian american is the preferred nomenclature but hell to type) robs a store, EVERY chinaman is a thief.....come on try it first, judge afterwards, ive played a lot of USA guitars and they were crapperdy crap!
remember the story steve tells on Alien Love Secrets DVD, he couldnt find a good strat until he bought a real cheap one made in korea.....
slash89

s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i wrote:why are you even starting with critisising the guitar and the origin (china) when you never played it...thats like when 1 chinaman (asian american is the preferred nomenclature but hell to type) robs a store, EVERY chinaman is a thief.....come on try it first, judge afterwards, ive played a lot of USA guitars and they were crapperdy crap!
remember the story steve tells on Alien Love Secrets DVD, he couldnt find a good strat until he bought a real cheap one made in korea.....
Amen! 8)