Evo's crack! (not the plumber's crack)

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
resha

#16 Post by resha » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:55 am

Jeroen wrote:
brentm wrote:
Jeroen wrote:That bit on the All About Evo page was from before they succesfully glued the crack (although after a few attempts), and the axe is stable as a rock right now according to its owner.
J
Jeroen - Do you know what type of glue was used? The residue left on the outside of Evo looks clear, like some type of epoxy polyurethane glue? It certainly doesn't look like yellow or hyde glue.
No idea. For all I know it could have been Pritt..... :)
J
:lol: :lol: :lol: great one :wink:

calos

#17 Post by calos » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:11 am

I'd really like to know, as I've just recentley discovered the same type of crack in my jem floral, it's currentley sat in it's case without an strings on it(in case that just makes it worse) I've got someone looking at it in the next few days but any tips or meathods used would be very wellcome.

It's been my loyal guitar for 12 years now, I'd hate to never be able to play her again.

peace
cal

Mr. Wiggles

#18 Post by Mr. Wiggles » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:51 pm

calos wrote:I'd really like to know, as I've just recentley discovered the same type of crack in my jem floral, it's currentley sat in it's case without an strings on it(in case that just makes it worse) I've got someone looking at it in the next few days but any tips or meathods used would be very wellcome.

It's been my loyal guitar for 12 years now, I'd hate to never be able to play her again.

peace
cal

How could you miss a crack that big?

brentm

#19 Post by brentm » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 pm

calos wrote:I'd really like to know, as I've just recentley discovered the same type of crack in my jem floral, it's currentley sat in it's case without an strings on it(in case that just makes it worse) I've got someone looking at it in the next few days but any tips or meathods used would be very wellcome.

peace
cal
I'd be interested to see a picture. Most cracks can be repaired with some glue, a few clamps and some patience. Although the body of a cased guitar cracking like Steves did (down the center of the body) would be rare, unless it was subjected to the elements (extreme temps and moisture).

-Brent

calos

#20 Post by calos » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:34 am

Mr. Wiggles wrote:

peace
cal

How could you miss a crack that big?
Well the crack, wasn't there on friday night, but after trying to tune up for a rehearsal (something that normaly takes less than a minuite) I spotted the crack on tuesday.
peace
cal

calos

#21 Post by calos » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:55 am

brentm wrote:

peace
cal
I'd be interested to see a picture. Most cracks can be repaired with some glue, a few clamps and some patience. Although the body of a cased guitar cracking like Steves did (down the center of the body) would be rare, unless it was subjected to the elements (extreme temps and moisture).

-Brent

At first I thought it was just a crack in the paint, but it's not, it moves if you apply pressure to it :(

I looked back at the recording of our rehearsal and spotted that I hit the top of the neck on the low-ceiling cellar we where rehearsing in.. I think maybe that was when the crack started.

Right now I got the strings off untill I can get it looked at etc.

peace
cal

brentm

#22 Post by brentm » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:06 am

Ya, looks like a case of the finish crack gone wild.

Have you had the neck off to examine it further? Are those scratches right above the neck joint on the neck itself? Looks like some quarter circle scratches there.

Mr. Wiggles

#23 Post by Mr. Wiggles » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:34 pm

brentm wrote:Are those scratches right above the neck joint on the neck itself? Looks like some quarter circle scratches there.
Looks like flash glare.

calos

#24 Post by calos » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:41 pm

Yeah the half circles are a camera thing, anyhow, I took my guitar to my father, he's not a guitar tech but his hobby is wood working, and he's very good at it, (he build a grandfather clock, ot pendulem clock from wood all the gogs and gizmos and it kept good time too)

Anyhow he spent about 20 mins looking at it and figured he knew how to stop the crack (it turned out it was in the wood) and re-enforce that area of the neck, so I showed him where my hands needed to be on the insturment etc and he said it was no problem, sure enough he spent a few hours on it, drilling a tiny hole at the end of the crack and pumping a special type of glue (used for making real boats, and man it truley stinks!) into the hole at very high pressure, it was called marine-apoxy-resin-ubur-stick 145 something or other he he; it was a powder that had to be mixed with boiling water and kept hot for x- number of minuites, I just watched and passed things over heh.

Anyhow he then put a small brass screw into the hole wich pulled the two parts back together and said to leave it for at least 12 hours before putting the neck back on or stringing it.

Next morning I checked it out and yup it was really fixed, guitar is now rock solid on tuning and the tone is great! can't tell you how releived and pleased I am about it.

peace
cal

Bennett

#25 Post by Bennett » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:27 pm

calos wrote:Yeah the half circles are a camera thing, anyhow, I took my guitar to my father, he's not a guitar tech but his hobby is wood working, and he's very good at it, (he build a grandfather clock, ot pendulem clock from wood all the gogs and gizmos and it kept good time too)

Anyhow he spent about 20 mins looking at it and figured he knew how to stop the crack (it turned out it was in the wood) and re-enforce that area of the neck, so I showed him where my hands needed to be on the insturment etc and he said it was no problem, sure enough he spent a few hours on it, drilling a tiny hole at the end of the crack and pumping a special type of glue (used for making real boats, and man it truley stinks!) into the hole at very high pressure, it was called marine-apoxy-resin-ubur-stick 145 something or other he he; it was a powder that had to be mixed with boiling water and kept hot for x- number of minuites, I just watched and passed things over heh.

Anyhow he then put a small brass screw into the hole wich pulled the two parts back together and said to leave it for at least 12 hours before putting the neck back on or stringing it.

Next morning I checked it out and yup it was really fixed, guitar is now rock solid on tuning and the tone is great! can't tell you how releived and pleased I am about it.

peace
cal
nice one :D i'll let u know when my one starts to crack ;)

*theanimal*05

#26 Post by *theanimal*05 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:59 pm

saw evo on friday night in detail. held it myself and surveyed the damage to the whole guitar in depth on thomas's work bench.
it looks like its been run over by the whole nascar racing team to me.
and yes the crack is most definately there.
also i like the look of the whole guitar its bruises tell stories

brentm

#27 Post by brentm » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:13 pm

*theanimal*05 wrote:saw evo on friday night in detail. held it myself and surveyed the damage to the whole guitar in depth on thomas's work bench.
it looks like its been run over by the whole nascar racing team to me.
and yes the crack is most definately there.
also i like the look of the whole guitar its bruises tell stories
She does look like she's been hit with a freight train... but she also looks like a million bucks when Steve is playing her.

leigh01

if evo stops working ill have it

#28 Post by leigh01 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:11 am

8) :D :D :idea: