Discuss the Real Illusions: Reflections Previews!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Discuss the Real Illusions: Reflections Previews!

#1 Post by Mikey » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:28 am

www.stevevaimusic.com

Sony has created a special page where fans can check out short sneak previews of all tracks from Steve's new album "Real Illusions: Reflections".

Share your thoughts on the album previews here!

Mikey :)
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Sun May 22, 2005 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenMeanie

#2 Post by GreenMeanie » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:41 am

I love them all! Cant wait to hear the whole album. I especially like 'Dying for Your Love', 'Firewall', 'Building the Church, "Glorious' and 'Midway Creatures'. I am loving 'Im Your Secrets'!!!!!!
I really like tone he is using. I like heavy axe tones. :D
Man I cant wait for it to come out!

:twisted: Joanne

Melodic Dreamer

#3 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:55 pm

Very freaking cool!
I like the production on this one a lot. The first song sounds really cool. Looking foward to this one a lot. 8)

satchvai

#4 Post by satchvai » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:43 pm

hey everyone. Well, I've been a Vai fan for as long as I can remember now and I must say there are a lot of things he's doing these days that are just not that interesting. It pains me to say it..i never thought I would, but I feel it's true, and I know I am not alone in this assesment. The previews for about half of the songs sound great, but the vocal tracks seem very pretentious. I miss the straight ahead, beautifully written compositions, like those on Alien Love secrets, or Alive in an Ultra World. I never thought I'd become one of those people that thinks vai is just too weird, but i must say that it is happening. Don't misunderstand me, i still love steve to death, and i was honored to meet him last year. I have a jem with his signature on it, a carvin legacy, and a bad horsie, so clearly the man means a lot to me musically. I've just found that his music is starting to become a bit esoteric. With that in mind, i will still be getting the new album, as i have every album including the box set. I guess i just miss the old steve. I didn't write this post to get flamed or anything of the sort, i'm just expressing what i feel to be a qualified opinion (as I've been a fan for severeal years) and am wondering if anyone shares the same sentiment.

laficojr

#5 Post by laficojr » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:15 pm

I just listened to it,and.......
WOW!
It's really cool, :shock:
it's heavy,emotional,funny.......... :P
I can't wait for the full album :wink:

jenarom

#6 Post by jenarom » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:31 pm

If you read the "bio" section, there is some big info on Steve's plans with Real Illusions.

Real Illusions is a really complex story that will unfold in 3 single disc editions. The story is not told with the songs in order, so After the 3 CDs, Steve will release a new box set with a bonus 4th disc, a booklet, and all the songs in the proper order of the story.

He also mentions that "Reflections" is part of a whole phrase that will be revealed with the coming CDs, that describes the central theme of the story.

Very interesting. How many years will pass until this gets finished? I think it would be best to just stick around waiting for Reflections next month.

track7

#7 Post by track7 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:35 pm

Steve has always been pretentious, or ecentric depending on how you look at it. The thing I love is that whilst you know yo're always gonna get some rip roaring technically blazing solo in Lydian there is always so much more with his music that is NOT expected. Its always a loveley supprise to hear a vai album for the first time, say for comparssion Satches music as great a player and song writer he is I dont think anything has supprised me in his catalog bar Not of Ths Earth and Engines. YOu know whats coming...

Steve's creativity to music keeps me coming back to his records and his fuels my interst for his new work, the melody and the shred is the icing on the cake.

I dunno, maybe i've grown up somewhat but the closer I get to his technical ability level the less interested i am in it and the MORE intersted I get in his composition and creativity and I realise just how many light years I am away from his musciality. Just cause I can nail his solo's doesn't mean I'll ever write one 1/10th the beauty.

Steve hasn't released a studio album in 6 years nearly but he's done so so much more than most other artists who would realse a record every 2 years. I believe he has been concentrating on solidifying his status as an artis, composer, musician and trying to shed the shred image amongst the musical community. I think this is a good thing for certain, I know that around my jazz/contemporary music college he was the only guy who was respected from the shred gener and most of that came from the fact he enveloped himself in so much more than shred over the last 6 years.

I believe and hope he will transcend to that of a serious composer in the eyes of the music community and his longevity will be even more secured. So, he may not tour in 20 years but his compostioins may be played aroud the world still. That is a wonderous thought and feeling for any composer.

I wish him the best of luck with this and cant wait for the new album, i'm digging the heavy sound and of course the little boy in me wants to be owned by his redilculous solo's :D but after the buzz of hearing him wail away wears off i will begin to unravel the album and its undoubtedly many many layers he's put into it.

The same can not be said for 90% of the other guitarists who hail from his genre and era, and heck even the "high arty" jazz/contemporary artists who put out 2+ albums per year of off the cuff imrpoving and calling it a record.

Long live Vai!

Darn 22 of feb is too to ofar away, acutally no 21st! europes gets it a day before.

Laters

David

litlgrnman

waiting for Christmas

#8 Post by litlgrnman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm

I have decided to wait. It's going to be agonizing but I'm going to refrain from the pull of these little ditty snippets. Please, oh please let the next few weeks pass mercilessly fast!!

jenarom

Re: waiting for Christmas

#9 Post by jenarom » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:50 pm

litlgrnman wrote:I have decided to wait. It's going to be agonizing but I'm going to refrain from the pull of these little ditty snippets. Please, oh please let the next few weeks pass mercilessly fast!!
I was also preparing myself to do that, but if you click the link the music automatically starts, so I just couldn't stop myself from listening to it.

:oops:

marooned417

#10 Post by marooned417 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:07 pm

:shock:
That was incredible. I'm amazed. I can't even comprehend what lies ahead....

litlgrnman

Re: waiting for Christmas

#11 Post by litlgrnman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:23 pm

jenarom wrote:
litlgrnman wrote:I have decided to wait. It's going to be agonizing but I'm going to refrain from the pull of these little ditty snippets. Please, oh please let the next few weeks pass mercilessly fast!!
I was also preparing myself to do that, but if you click the link the music automatically starts, so I just couldn't stop myself from listening to it.

:oops:
It wasn't easy let me tell you!! I have heard Yai Yai from the magazine cd, and the webcast of Lotus Feet already. I have yet to be disappointed by any Vaian offering. What I've heard and read in the reviews here indicates a veeery low probability of it this time. I just want to hear them in their entirety...

huckmonkey90

#12 Post by huckmonkey90 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:25 pm

:shock: :shock: :D :D
goosebumps
fabulous can't wait

Mr. Canadian

#13 Post by Mr. Canadian » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:44 pm

damn, this recording sounds REALLY great. a total potpourri of stuff and oozing with the vai's creativity & style. i can't wait!

freak show excess!!! :twisted:

alienacidsoup

#14 Post by alienacidsoup » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:59 pm

I just got Blue Balls from those sneak previews!!! Come on February 22nd!!! :headbang

shacks

#15 Post by shacks » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:04 am

Fantastic clips! Big thank you to whoever put together the preview page. What a great idea! Bring on Monday 21st (UK date)...:D :D

Cheers
shacks

(Shame that AGAIN its only people from the US that can pre-order the signed CD!??)