Your own signature guitar

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Logic

When I got My RG 250 DX, I got it because it fulfilled all the requirements at the time... 24 fret HSH rose style trem, conservative color, price. I didn't get this guitar because of EVO. I tried very hard to stay away from signature series guitars. A buddy tried to sell me a satch signature but it had Joe Satriani on the neck. It was nice, but I didn't want someones name, other than mine, on it. After I got it, I heard of Mr Vai™ and EVO. After looking at the JEM guitars there are lots of really innovative features to these guitars! Alder body, pickups, trem, even the inset jack for your cord, I was impressed by that more than some other stuff. I learned to play on my brother's Les Paul and I remember always having to LOOKOUT FOR THE CORD!! I sticks straight out from the guitar like a sore thumb. Alot of thought went into EVO and the JEM series guitars. Bottom line. I would like a JEM style guitar without a grip, no gold, and regular sharks tooth inlays. It would have to have the inset cord. :) Then I would have my own signature series guitar. Life would be good. 8)
Matthew

If I were to have my own signature guitar, here's what it'd be:

Ibanez (left-handed)
Basswood JS body
Irridecent green finish
Maple JS neck
Ebony fretboard
24 Frets
DNA inlays
Chrome Hardware
Gotoh Tuners
Original EDGE tremolo system
Barrel knobs
Mounting rings
DiMarzio ToneZone(neck)
DiMarzio FRED(bridge)
Volume pot with Coil-tap
Tone pot
D'Addario .008-.032 strings
DiMarzio Clip Lock
The Extremist

I have a Signature Guitar, if you look at that pic it will be cherised by you forever when i become your new guitar god :lol:

Well, it actually is a Signature guitar of Steve Lukather.
espguitarlord

I'm a big fan of modifying guitars, but my signature current project is a modified Fender AmSt Strat, I'm not committed enough to modify a JEM like this :? though. I'll post pics when it's done.

Specs:
- AmSt Strat
- Diamond Plate pickguard/custom design jack assembly (for a wireless transmitter)
- Gotoh Machineheads
- DiMarzio Evolution F-Spaced Humbucker (bridge) I think I'll leave the stiock S/C's and have a coil tap on this pickup.
- Pink Control Knobs (to contrast the black/metal of course...)
- Black Chrome Hardtail bridge
-...that's pretty much it, I'll replace all the other plastic parts like the backplate and selector switch with black.
guyzif

I dreamt that I had my own signiture guitar the other day. I had built it myself. I thiought it was really cool then i dicovered it's body was covered in red fur with black spots. I woke up and laughed... Now im seriously considering it and I don't know why...
Ryan Layton
Banned

something like that except it would be pink and have 22 frets and hotter p-ups. What i REALLY want will described below in full detail

Fender Stratocaster
Fernandez Sustainer
Alder body
Maple neck
Rosewood 22 fret, fretboard
Schaller locking tuners
LRS nut
Fender noisless pickups
Satin, Midnight Wine finish with all black plastic parts
Silver hardware
My pickup selection method would be 3 buttons, one for each pickup. You push the button for the pickup you want to use. you can push them down in any combination, so you can even have all 3 of them on. Ty Tabor did this.

I would also like a custom 7 string. Hum/Sing/Hum pick up configuration, alder body, 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Floyd Rose trem.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Logic wrote:Bottom line. I would like a JEM style guitar without a grip, no gold, and regular sharks tooth inlays. It would have to have the inset cord. :) Then I would have my own signature series guitar. Life would be good. 8)
I'd say talk to All About Times Design or EKG guitars and have yourself a body made with the specs you want. Then slap on your dx neck.
Logic

I'd say talk to All About Times Design or EKG guitars and have yourself a body made with the specs you want. Then slap on your dx neck.
Something to that effect. Although I would most likely look into other things as well.

Like Matthew, Ryan and Esp, they have it down! I had to look some of the stuff they're talking about up. I have yet to land on the right pickups and what have you...

I mean I wouldn't mind having a JEM as a third or forth guitar, but with all these teenage girls running around here soaking up the money like its going out of style, its pretty much impossible as of now!! As much as I can appreiciate Mr Vai's skills when you see that white JEM with the gold and inlays you think of Vai™.

The body on the satch signiture is really nice, but it won't accomodate a H\S\H setup, will it? Is there a Satch signiture with 24 frets? It's very kewl to read what people have in mind! Wouldn't fur wipe the resonance out?? Oh well.. If duct tape doesn't, fur won't either. :)
Ryan Layton
Banned

a satch model can support h/s/h. there is a guitar on projectguitar.com called satchvai that is a satch model with evolution pickups. this guitar is probably just like a jem with 22 frets, but if you put some different pickups in there, it would be like nothing else. a pretty cool idea, but im against modding someone elses signature guitar.

id do that to an S series. its cheeper too.
Shreddy Krueger

I always kinda wanted an Yngwie strat, because I always liked the scalloped fretboard feel.

However I've always felt like the RG 550's felt like home to me & I'm completely spoiled by them.

If only I could combine them somehow. :wink:
Hmmmm.....

So I picked up a 91' RG 550 REDICULOUSLY cheap & had my favorite guitar tech scallop the fretboard....
Threw on a creme pickguard & pickups(DiMarzio PAF PRO & Humbucker From Hell) and voila....

My own Yngwie Malmsteen Ibanez signature guitar.....kinda.

Now if I can just find a RG 7 string to scallop.... :lol:
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ryan Layton wrote: this guitar is probably just like a jem with 22 frets,
No, it's a completely diffrent animal at least to my taste. There has been a JS model with H-S-H, as wel as a Radius with that config, but Rich on www.ibanezrules.com is the definite source of JS guitars knowledge (i think Rich has more special/proto JS guitars than Joe himself) No js with 24 frets tho.

I had a JS-1000 once, and although a great sounding guitar, I didn't like the body shape and the thick neck.
Ryan Layton
Banned

i was talking about a js with h/s/h evolution pickups. im pretty sure that the basswood body along with evos would sound like the older jems
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe like 555s. The older jems had paf pro's.
rockininthefreeworld

I love this guitar:
Ryan Layton
Banned

yeah dude, that is hot.

i don't know what kind of settings or effects brian uses, but his lead tone is amazing.