spuer strat switchin

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
mxer

how much dose it cost to get 7 way switching installed from 5 way?
Ryan Layton
Banned

what are the other 2 pickup selections that come with 7 way switching?
mxer

on a 3 pickup,5 way guitar when you switch to the 7 way ,you get the bridge and neck(like a les paul) and all 3 pickups at the same time.big sound and big smiles :D
Ryan Layton
Banned

That sounds cool. Tell me how it sounds because now im really curious. I dont think you can find someone who can install it for you though.
Derek

The only way I know of to get that sort of selection availability is to have each individual pickup controlled separately, i.e. on or off. I think my Carvin had that, but with 2 pickups. The combination possibilities are very nice if you're looking for versatility within your sound, I think I had...

neck single
bridge single
neck humbucker
bridge humbucker
neck and bridge single
neck and bridge humbucker
neck single and bridge humbucker
neck humbucker and bridge single

If I'm counting it all correctly, that makes 8 possibilities with only 2 humbuckers, so having that third pickup would increase the possibilities a lot. I like the idea, but I'm scared to go routing into a Jem that behaves so perfectly for me, Id be afraid to screw something up royally.
resha

I'll tell you everything about the switching system on my strat (it's like STEVE MORSE's one) !!!
I have 2 texas special (neck - middle) and a Duncan JB (mini humbucker at the bridge); it has got two toggles (on-off) more than the normal 5-way switch.
The first toggle adds the neck pick-up in the 4th and 5th position of the 5-way switch; the second toggle splits the humbucker
here you're all it's combinations... :? (in the first column i'll insert the 5-way switch position, in the second the first toggle position and in the third the second toggle position... SO DIFFICULT!!!)

1. 1 - / - / - (neck)
2. 2 - / - / - (neck+mid)
3. 3 - / - / - (mid)
4. 4 - off - off - (mid+bridge)
5. 4 - on - off - (mid+bridge+neck)
6. 4 - on - on - (mid+bridge splitted+neck)
7. 4 - off - on - (mid+bridge splitted)
8. 5 - off - off - (bridge)
9. 5 - on - off - (bridge+neck)
10. 5 - on - on - (bridge splitted+neck)
11. 5 - off - on - (bridge splitted)

I know it'll seem so F*****G DIFFICULT but I swear that it only takes some time to get used to it... it's quite simple!!!
when the first column says "on" you'll always find the neck pick-up.
when the second one says "on" you'll always find the bridge splitted.

I KNOW I'M MAD... :twisted:
hope to have helped you...

P.S.:
don't remember how it costed but not so much...
as "toggle" I refer to those little on-off switches that Steve has on his "FLO"
Last edited by resha on Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kangaroo

Derek wrote:If I'm counting it all correctly, that makes 8 possibilities with only 2 humbuckers, so having that third pickup would increase the possibilities a lot. I like the idea, but I'm scared to go routing into a Jem that behaves so perfectly for me, Id be afraid to screw something up royally.
Don't worry, when my friend and I installed a sustainer in his Jem7VWH we did the "routing" with a hammer and chisel and it still kicked ass. And besides, you don't need to do any routing to put in a new switch.