Steve Vai Flexable Grub 3 1984 orginal

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Firegarden_4Ever
Newcomer

Hi all, I have just purchased an original steve vai flexable grub 3 album, I was told that only 2000 were made and this may be worth a large sum of money, I would not be selling obviously but I am Curious.

P.s. Does anyone know how to check if it is an orginal and not a copy:?:
Moderator777

Moved. ;) You might find some info here about the Flexable album with some production numbers, not values though:

http://www.vai.com/AllAboutSteve/discon ... xable.html

--------------
Thank you,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

The Grub3 pressing (to my knowledge) is a UK pressing.

I have one of those also. I don't think it was only limited to 2000, hoever I'm not entirely sure.

What it written around the edge of the vinyl label? What do the Martians say during the 'Little Green Men' breakdown?

Tell us more about it and we might be able to help you with further information.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
John

Mikey wrote:What do the Martians say during the 'Little Green Men' breakdown?
So there actually are different versions?! :shock:
Is it the same thing as on the CD, but forwards?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

yes ;)

According to Steve, "there are 4 different versions of Flex-Able released in Europe. The only difference is a slight edit I made to each of the mother masters. I did this for all the hard core neurotic collectors. Anybody have them all?"

- Mikey
vai.com
Slug Balancer

I have two versions of "Flex-Able" - The green melting guitar and the pulling heart strings versions.

Also delving into this site i've found that the Frank Zappa "As An Am" disc I have is a limited edition 500 press. I didn't know this before!
Firegarden_4Ever
Newcomer

On further inspection I have noticed a piece of text sayin "made in England " which does prove the european production. Around the label it is all legal agreements ie no copying etc. As my record player is broken I am unable to listen to the record, I just bought it to add to the collection.lol
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Firegarden_4Ever wrote:On further inspection I have noticed a piece of text sayin "made in England " which does prove the european production. Around the label it is all legal agreements ie no copying etc. As my record player is broken I am unable to listen to the record, I just bought it to add to the collection.lol
I'm actually talking about any text written on the vinyl itself - between the label and the grooves ;)

- Mikey
vai.com
Firegarden_4Ever
Newcomer

It reads MPO GRUB 3 and whats looks like AB1 but im not sure as the B has be scratched but intentionaly by the looks of it.
litlgrnman

Mikey wrote:According to Steve, "there are 4 different versions of Flex-Able released in Europe. The only difference is a slight edit I made to each of the mother masters. I did this for all the hard core neurotic collectors. Anybody have them all?"
Do you have them all Mikey?

If so is there any discernable difference between them other than the LGM breakdown edit?

Do the different edits also have different etchings in the vinyl that you know of?
EyE

Slug Balancer wrote:I have two versions of "Flex-Able" - The green melting guitar and the pulling heart strings versions.

Same here. :wink:
mental speedin

i have 2 copies but one is signed and in a frame so theres no way im pullin it out to check lol
lespaulplus

The GLUB3 were not limited to such small amounts. In fact you can find them quite easily if you do a search.

These are the limited ones (The 10"s):

Only 1000 of each cover were printed.

Above examples keep the original plastic cover being in absolutly mint condition.
ginsu777

i kept mine is top condition along with the Western Vacation LP. The plastic is still in good shape on both. There is some interesting handwritten stuff on the space with mine. I haven't taken a look in a while. I bought it from Steve's sister Lil back in 1985.
Loscha
Newcomer

litlgrnman wrote:
Mikey wrote:According to Steve, "there are 4 different versions of Flex-Able released in Europe. The only difference is a slight edit I made to each of the mother masters. I did this for all the hard core neurotic collectors. Anybody have them all?"
Do you have them all Mikey?

If so is there any discernable difference between them other than the LGM breakdown edit?

Do the different edits also have different etchings in the vinyl that you know of?
I have the GRUB3 Cd of Flexable (Heartstrings cover), and the normal CD (orange w/guitar).
There is a difference in the two versions of Something Dead, at about 31-35 seconds in, there are some drum noises. On the Grub version, some of those drum hits are backwards.

I haven't noticed anything different otherwise, but, I haven't had time to load them both into wave editors and A/B them, hopefully one day Mr Vai will spill his guts and tell us!?

Does anyone know what the other LP versions say during the backwards martian bit in LGM?