Wipeout 2000

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
harmonicminor

Wipeout 2000 from the Archives collection.

What a cool little remix. Vai's playing is superb. So good that I can't work out how he gets the 'flight of the bumblebee'outro solo so fast.
Does anybody know if this track is sped up in any way?
Can you pull off the bumblebee part and whats the trick?

Advice would be appreciated fellow shred meisters. :)
Willin

Wipeout 2000 is played by Gary Hoey, I think. Vai didn't play that; it's a mislabeled song. I think Flight of the Bumblebees is done by John Petrucci? It's definetly not Vai, I know that much. I think I remember someone saying it was Petrucci though. So yeah, go out and buy the Vai albums so you know it's Vai playing rather than downloading his songs! :P
Moderator777

Willin wrote:Wipeout 2000 is played by Gary Hoey, I think. Vai didn't play that; it's a mislabeled song. I think Flight of the Bumblebees is done by John Petrucci? It's definetly not Vai, I know that much. I think I remember someone saying it was Petrucci though. So yeah, go out and buy the Vai albums so you know it's Vai playing rather than downloading his songs! :P
Willin - I think you might be confused here. Steve indeed did play 'Wipeout 2000' and it's available on his Archives Vol 3 CD on Track #6. The outro of that song solo has a short section from 'Flight of the Bumblebee' on it. I believe you are confused by the mis-labeling of the music out on pirate music sharing programs. We're quite positive this is not the only song mis-labeled out there. Check this out from Steve himself:

http://www.vai.com/FanForum/answers.html

Scroll about 1/2 way down below the Dweezil album cover.

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Willin

Whoops! Please note that I was just posting whatever hearsay that I found floating around about these songs on the internet! I had no idea that he actually played Wipeout! Cool!
Octavian

I believe there's a version of Wipeout on a Disney CD that Steve played on. My son's been listening to that one for years.
Moderator777

Octavian wrote:I believe there's a version of Wipeout on a Disney CD that Steve played on. My son's been listening to that one for years.
Yes, it's the same song. ;)

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
jmchambers5

I believe Gary Hoey did do a version of wipeout though, and I think Petrucci does do a flight of the bumblebee, so that may be what you were thinking about Willin.

can I clear this up please?

No it's not sped up. I'm surprised you doubt Dr. Vai can play this, but anyway, if you listen to it, you'll hear it's pretty much chromatic all the way through 'the bumblebee. that makes it kind of easy.

Steve recorded Wipeout 2000 for the Disney Channel. it says so in the liner notes.....read more thoroughly! I don't think the vocal is sped up either........there's some people who can do that sh*t without any trouble. Listen to people like Rahzel and you'll get what I mean.

Wipeout 2000 is an awesome track, I'd love to see that played live!

Mod 777, interesting point about the thing in the 'answers' page you linked us to: All the things people suggest Steve has done, when he never has! I guess that's what the internet does for ya!

And to my knowledge, Nuno never recorded Beethoven's 5th.........he recorded his own "flight of the wounded bumblebee" though, and it rocks. Paul Gilbert has recorded a bunch of classical covers in the past, so maybe it was him?!
harmonicminor

Thanks for the help guys.
I knew that steve could easily play this up to speed and always read the notes when I first buy a cd. My question is more on the technique of the playing. I try and play it alternate picking but can't get the accuracy.
I suppose thats the difference between a player like me and a pro like Vai.
GuitarStrings

Yeah, I agree with you about you saying that Flight of the Bumblebees has lot of Chromatic Scales, but it's still damn difficult to play that precisely and clean at that speed.
962 wrote:can I clear this up please?

No it's not sped up. I'm surprised you doubt Dr. Vai can play this, but anyway, if you listen to it, you'll hear it's pretty much chromatic all the way through 'the bumblebee. that makes it kind of easy.

sorry, I should really have said "that makes it kind of easy for Steve".

Yeah it's still difficult to get it clean and even, but who says he has to pick every note? If he used a nice crisp pickup like the "Steve's Special", he might not have needed to. Then again, Steve can do loads of unnatural things with a guitar, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's all synchro-picking.

b*st*rd! hehe. in the best possible way!
Spagbol

Moderator777 wrote:
Octavian wrote:I believe there's a version of Wipeout on a Disney CD that Steve played on. My son's been listening to that one for years.
Yes, it's the same song. ;)

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Having said that, the version on the Disney CD is shorter and misses out a little of the cool playing at the end. The flight of the bumblebee quote is there but it fades out before the horn parts that come in on Wipeout 2000.

Wipeout (Radio Disney KidJams CD) - 2.52
Wipeout 2000 (Mystery Tracks, Archives Vol. 3) - 3.40
Moderator777

Anything's possible. There are radio cuts for most songs out there that appear on radio.

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Ekim

I can see why folks would think the vocals were speed up, with the pitch shifting.
RM

The vocal does sound suspiciously like Steve's voice pitch shifted in much the same way as "When I was a little Boy".