13 October 2016 - San Fransisco, CA - PAW Tour

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

13 October 2016 - San Fransisco, CA - PAW Tour

#1 Post by Jeroen » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:57 am

Did you attend this show in San Fransisco, CA?

Please post your reviews here!

Vai.com

TheAmazingFan
Newcomer

Re: 13 October 2016 - San Fransisco, CA - PAW Tour

#2 Post by TheAmazingFan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 pm

This was one of those tours you just knew was something not to miss. I remember the day I purchased my Passion and Warfare CD and ran over to a friends house for a quick listen before heading off to work and being completely blown away. By the time the album came out, Steve's guitar playing was already seared into my brain from listening to Flex-a-ble and all the awesome DLR stuff. I'll never forget hearing Liberty for the first time followed by Erotic Nightmares while just staring at the CD player with my jaw in my hand.

Fast-forward the wayback machine to 2016 to a time when I never expected to hear the album played live. I've been fortunate enough to see Steve live for the first G3 and Fire Garden tours (LIVE ALBUM PLEASE!!!!) and my gut told me to get my ass to the Fillmore to see this special event. As luck would have it, I was not disappointed.

Steve fired up the evening with Bad Horsie (one of my favs) and continued to warm the crowd with 4 songs before diving into the first notes of P&W. Each note was matched by Steve's movements and facial expressions that set the emotional tone for the rest of the evening. This was a labor of love to re-create and it showed - making music like this isn't easy. It didn't matter if each track sounded like the album or not - each song stood on it's own and created the foundation for the song that followed. The first notes of Liberty following "Heads Up!" created the same tingle down my spine as the first time i listed to it back in 1991. Watching the band re-create Alien Water Kiss was truly something to witness.

After the last notes of P&W rang out, Steve closed things up with a little Zappa (Stevie's Spanking) and the usual Build me a song routine followed by some Fire Garden suite.

Did I leave satisfied - yes! Did I leave wanting more? YES! For the love of all things mighty in this world - please release this as a live album. You just don't have enough live stuff available (full G3 set, Fire Garden, P&W, etc.)

Thank you Steve - I was thoroughly entertained and left with amazing memories :)

Your fan forever - TonyC