Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Message
Author
orlandopunk
Banned
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:19 am

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#16 Post by orlandopunk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:39 am

if your goal is to sound like vai by copying all his gear and "secrets" as many kids do, you have already failed at guitar

User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2628
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am
Contact:

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#17 Post by Jeroen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:08 am

orlandopunk wrote:if your goal is to sound like vai by copying all his gear and "secrets" as many kids do, you have already failed at guitar
You're embarrassing yourself.

Anyone who picks up an instrument to enjoy themselves, no matter how, no matter what, has succeeded.

The only failures are with those who feel the need to judge their own against others in order for them to feel better.

And that's about all the time I'm going to waste on you.
j

User avatar
R1FSR
Member
Member
Posts: 1850
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 3:45 am
Location: north west UK
Contact:

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#18 Post by R1FSR » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:09 am

so what your saying is Vai is a failure ? ..why are you here then ?.

your obviously on a higher plain than everyone else here so prove yourself
rather than talking bullshit.

This thread started with the heading of ..
'Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai'
yet once again the last comment you tell everyone
if your goal is to sound like vai by copying all his gear and "secrets" as many kids do, you have already failed at guitar

make your mind up

User avatar
kyle am I
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#19 Post by kyle am I » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:20 am

orlandopunk wrote:if your goal is to sound like vai by copying all his gear and "secrets" as many kids do, you have already failed at guitar
Oh stop talking you silly silly man.

User avatar
Samuele
Member
Member
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Padova, Italy

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#20 Post by Samuele » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 am

I don't know whether this will feed the ongoing drama or not, but the little clip of Yngwie that Jeries posted on the other thread made me remember this other one, maybe some of you guys already saw it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts

"That was a little painful on this guitar!" :lol:

Over and out. :)

Andrew J Dampier
Member
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Ft Lauderdale-Fl
Contact:

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#21 Post by Andrew J Dampier » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:59 pm

The amount of inexperience voiced in orlandopunk's statements is glaring in context of his words.

Out of curiosity, orlandopunk, have you ever:

-Written a (whole) song?
-Played in a band?
-Played onstage in front of an audience?
-Recorded in a real studio?

My guess is the answer will be "Yes", but there will be no proof. I'm not looking for some virtuoso, game changing recording, but ANYTHING.

People who lash out like this out of nowhere are generally projecting their own feelings of failure. I'd also assume that orlandopunk has played through a bit of Vai gear and because it didn't work for him and make HIM sound/play like Steve Vai, then it won't work anyone, either that and he does not have the ability to obtain said gear and jealousy is rearing it's ugly head.

Of course, he contradicts all of that with his other statements, so you have to add in the low level of intelligence with the feelings of failure, which really, only sucks for one person: orlandopunk.

Edit------

Ah....I just read over orlandpunk's previous posts, this dude is whacked....

orlandopunk, you might want to get out of your house and get some life experience, as well as musical experience. Do you react this way with people in your day to day actions that don't take place on a computer? I'm going to give you some advice and it is entirely up to you to take it or not.

The internet is an amazing tool. You have the ability to be exactly the same person you are in-person or you can be someone completely different. If spouting off on forums as some know-it-all who has all the "secrets" of the stars without any real world knowledge is your thing, then go for it.

But the internet can also be an amazing networking and self-evaluation tool. You see, people don't judge you on these forums based off how you look or how you physically present yourself, it's entirely based off your actual thoughts that YOU type out. If you see that *everyone* has a negative reaction to the things you say, that's a good indication that you are not going about things the right way or that you are actually wrong about the things you say. It's okay to be wrong, it's not okay to not acknowledge that you're wrong.

I've had some amazing experiences in my life thanks to the internet. I've met amazing people and been to some really cool places because of it. Hell, I even got my JEM7V, the guitar you covet greatly, for FREE because of the internet. (Long story short: my dad met a woman on the internet and wanted to move to another state to live with her, I didn't want to go, the JEM was my bribe). What I'm getting at is if you took a little time to evaluate how you go about presenting your thoughts and stop attacking people, you can make friends with people on here.

You never know what people on the other side of the screen have to offer. You burn bridges before their even built, man. Also, the staggering contradiction in your post history is alarming, if you have not seen a Dr. about a mental condition, you may want to do so, especially if you're in your 20's, because there is definite evidence of schizophrenic/bi-polar behavior. I'm not joking about this last bit in the very least, the fact that you are, thus far, completely unaware of your behavior only supports that idea.

orlandopunk
Banned
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:19 am

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#22 Post by orlandopunk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:24 am

How am I saying that Vai is a failure?

Vai never copied anyone in particular, he created his own style, which is what made him famous, unlike many kids on this site, who copy vai all the way down to the scotch tape, and everything. That is the difference.

I may not be the most technically guitar player out there, but I have been playing for many years now. I never said I was very good at guitar, but I'm not bad either, just average I guess. I can already play surfing with the alien, thanks to me transcribing the song, rather than using those shitty tabs, that never provide fingerings, pick strokes.

I'm working on playing for the love of god, and there are 2 parts, where I'm not up to speed yet.

I have been here since 2006, I'm not a troll. When I was younger back then, I did want to copy vai to the last detail, but later I realized that doing that would only make me a copycat, a JOKE in the guitar world, and anyone who saw my gear (jem, legacy, steve pedals) would know that I have no personal style, and I'm nothing more than a copycat, so I decided to get my own gear, create my own style

I currently have 2 guitar, the ibanez prestige, and esp mh-1000. My amps, I have 2, the peavy vypyr and the Marshall dsl-1 tube amp. My pedals are nothing like vai's, except for the dsl-1. My wah pedal is the original crybaby. I have nothing from vai really and I take pride having gear that is not linked to any signature or guitar players.

I would rather steal the ideas and little gear details from many players, and incorporate them to my own, to improve my tone and sound. Guitar players have been doing this for decades, this is how vai created his personal style, by stealing from others, and then mixing it with his own nuances.

User avatar
kyle am I
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#23 Post by kyle am I » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:30 am

You seem to not understand three things-

1) If someone wants to "copy VAI to the last detail" which I don't think anyone really does, it's their prerogative to do so. You are not the fucking messiah of the Vai.com messageboard, you're not enlightening anybody, you're not teaching anyone to have their own style either, it's not your responsibility to act as such.

2) Nobody cares what you say.

3) It's Gaff tape

You've already discredited and embarrassed yourself with your rantings, ravings, and contradictions. so nobody is going to take you seriously after this.

Do you think we care about your personal style? Nobody cares about your gear. The fact that you deliberately forced yourself to have fear that had no affiliation with other artists is weak. It's not the gear that you have (I can't believe I'm saying this again) it's your own tone/style that is in your fingers (if you do not remember what "in your fingers" entails then go back because we've explained it about 1,267 times).

These "kids" you are referring to, well I'm 16, and I've been playing for 6 years, and the guitar has been my entire life. I play as long as I can, listen to as much music as I can, I have 3 guitars a shit amp and a Jemini pedal and crybaby 95q wah. I'm happy with the way I play, I'm learning jazz stuff and theory etc. the music I hear in my head is not Vai. I can play VAI stuff, I can use VAI scales and theory, and sometimes when being a douchebag with the whammy bar, the string gets stuck under the pickup. So I put the tape over the pickup. So fucking deal with it,

It seems you're trying to lead as example. Well, if you thought coming into "Steve's Guitars Gear etc" and ranting about the guitars aren't good enough, even though you would NEVER allow yourself to be tainted by them because you are so insecure about being yourself (that a mere tree of life inlay and gold ibanez edge would send you into a Vai induced coma), and expecting the patrons of said forum to accept what you say, then it is my honest pleasure to present you with this

Image

orlandopunk
Banned
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:19 am

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#24 Post by orlandopunk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:26 am

kyle am I wrote:You seem to not understand three things-


well I'm 16, and I've been playing for 6 years, and the guitar has been my entire life. I play as long as I can, listen to as much music as I can, I have 3 guitars a shit amp and a Jemini pedal and crybaby 95q wah. I'm happy with the way I play, I'm learning jazz stuff and theory etc. the music I hear in my head is not Vai. I can play VAI stuff, I can use VAI scales and theory, and sometimes when being a douchebag with the whammy bar, the string gets stuck under the pickup. So I put the tape over the pickup. So fucking deal with it,
Ironic, you say that nobody cares about my style and gear, yet you mention yours as if i'm supposed care about what you use, learn and play, what you're working on, etc

typical self righteous internet kid who always wants to have the last word by posting memes, and pictures like a door, etc to give impression that he has won an argument lol

look at your join date, then look at mine, and prepare to feel sorry for yourself

User avatar
kyle am I
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#25 Post by kyle am I » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:55 am

Haha

I included my goddamn life story to demonstrate how "the kids" here are more than just copycats. But think what you want.

Self righteous? Wow. I had no idea that while you were trying to force your opinions on people, I was the self righteous one! And my dear sir, I already have won, because there was no argument to begin with! This really is at this point entertainment.

Internet kid? Would that make you an internet... Adult?

Your join date? What the hell would tickle my fancy about your little join date? Congratulations, 9 years ago you successfully connected your device to a modem, came to the messageboard page, and put in a password, username, and email. You should be delivered a medal at once to proclaim you as the internet master. I'm shaking at your presence, oh great one, just shaking. Don't you dare waste another response on us simpleton, for you are the great one, my leise.


Oh shit! I am so sorry, I forgot that you are just to mighty to use a primitive, Neanderthal device such as a door! Forgive me for my incompetence!!! Here, allow me to present you with a more attention-grabbing "controversial" exit, since his royal highnesses posts are of the same nature (or so he hopes).

Image

StratVibe
Newcomer
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#26 Post by StratVibe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:30 am

The OP point is not even relevant in any sense. He keeps changing his mind and ends up proving himself wrong a few posts later.

He is just trolling to stir things up.

Maybe a moderator will block his account and be done with this crap. He has not posted one good things yet. I just looked over every post he has done and it's all just trying to put down everything and everyone and the problem is he is just offensive and doesn't really need to be here.

Raise your hand if your going to miss him when he is gone?


hmmm..... no hands :o

Andrew J Dampier
Member
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Ft Lauderdale-Fl
Contact:

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#27 Post by Andrew J Dampier » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 am

orlandopunk wrote:How am I saying that Vai is a failure?

I would ask if you read ANYTHING I wrote, but by your question alone, you obviously didn't. Go back and re-read what I wrote, you will not find anything in there that is even closely related to the question you ask.

User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2628
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am
Contact:

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#28 Post by Jeroen » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:59 pm

orlandopunk wrote: look at your join date, then look at mine, and prepare to feel sorry for yourself
Given the quality of your posts since your join date so far, I'm not sure if I would boast this as something worthwhile if I were you.

I'm going to ask you one time nicely: If you have nothing to do, please don't do it here.

J

Andrew J Dampier
Member
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Ft Lauderdale-Fl
Contact:

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#29 Post by Andrew J Dampier » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:46 pm

orlandopunk, I implore you to take these tests. You may learn something very important to your life.

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/bipolarquiz.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1551
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Buying the "same" gear, will not make you sound like Vai

#30 Post by Jeries » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:06 am

i took one of your tests

I am unhealth-ily narcissistic

the only thing i'm not narcissitic about is vanity/looks/appearence

other than that- i'm pretty unreasonably and psycho- narcissistic

Post Reply