VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:46 pm 

I was looking at old topics on Steve's gear and saw that first work on All About Flo dates back in april 2004. It's been 10 years and still nothing. Meanwhile the guitar in question was retired and the place of Steve's co-main guitar (with Evo) was given to Flo III, without any reason why. I am courious what is status of this mini page and will it ever see the light of the day.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's still pretty high on my wish list. The problem with this is that although I can tell you a lot about the current status of Flo and why the switch to Flo III and the various versions over the years, it's seems sheer impossible to find anything out about it's genesis, which is where it should get really interesting.

I've talked extensively to various people who were around during those days that it came into live, but no one really knows or remembers the reasoning behind it. There are still a few people I need to talk to though, so I keep having hope.

This page however, is typically one of those really 'nice to haves', along with stuff like the original Journals - things I really would like to bring back, but as you can see, I had to spend the last year catching up a lot for the previous years. Steve and I felt it important to get the site up2date with current info (such as the discography, guitar galleries etc) and make space for the stuff that's really dear to Steve on this site before I indulge into these somewhat secondary things.

And now that we're getting on track with that, I would like to focus my attention more to All About Flo, The Journals, additional galleries and a much better gear section.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:59 am 

Jeroen wrote:
It's still pretty high on my wish list. The problem with this is that although I can tell you a lot about the current status of Flo and why the switch to Flo III and the various versions over the years, it's seems sheer impossible to find anything out about it's genesis, which is where it should get really interesting.

I've talked extensively to various people who were around during those days that it came into live, but no one really knows or remembers the reasoning behind it. There are still a few people I need to talk to though, so I keep having hope.

This page however, is typically one of those really 'nice to haves', along with stuff like the original Journals - things I really would like to bring back, but as you can see, I had to spend the last year catching up a lot for the previous years. Steve and I felt it important to get the site up2date with current info (such as the discography, guitar galleries etc) and make space for the stuff that's really dear to Steve on this site before I indulge into these somewhat secondary things.

And now that we're getting on track with that, I would like to focus my attention more to All About Flo, The Journals, additional galleries and a much better gear section.

Jeroen

Wait... You never specified the state of FLO now or the reason for the switch, I've been curious about that. Can you explain or do you prefer to keep it a secret?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:02 am 

Jeroen wrote:
I can tell you a lot about the current status of Flo and why the switch to Flo III

Please feel free to tell us :P, I'm so interested in why Flo was retired (was it the lack of a scalloped neck?, the better pickups in flo III? etc.)

Another thing I would really love to see on this page is a "Story Of Light"-Minisite, similar to the one from RI:Reflections.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:54 am 

Jeroen?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If I tell you now, there won't be a reason left to make All About Flo, right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:53 am 

Jeroen wrote:
If I tell you now, there won't be a reason left to make All About Flo, right?

No not at all. All about FLO would have pictures, all that stuff. Would it really make sense to put in "all about FLO" that Steve has replaced it, and then say the reason ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:19 am 

Come on, maybe just a hint as exchange for the long time of waiting :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:55 am 

1 more interesting fact: during last few shows Bo is being used instead of Flo III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA250zsSOpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFngAbTcZH0 (bad audio)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEtBr-YsVvI
Probably some buzzing or sustainer issues. Flo III is one of most un-reliable guitars Steve used since hooking up with Ibanez.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:28 pm 

I just think Vai beats it to shit! It has become the one Vai had used the most on tour for the last two years. Frankly I don't think Steve cares about it in terms of keeping it safe, so he probably just uses it as hard as he likes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:17 pm 

Well you know jeroen, it's not much of a secret now ;)

Everyone, listen up. The reason Steve plays FLO III more is because he likes the scalloped frets. That's the only reason. Steve dosent want to bring both evo and FLO on tour in case something happens. Short and sweet. But he did say he plays her a lot, and hen he was holding her her whammy bar went straight up. A bit different than I imagined, but you know ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:59 am 

Where have you read that?
:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:32 am 

matic22 wrote:
Where have you read that?

Steve told us on the chat yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And now I do know the Genesis of how Flo became Flo, having had a few interesting phone conversations today.

I'm going to build that page now.

J

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:39 pm 

Jeroen wrote:
... I'm going to build that page now.

J

Well, I think I know a couple of guys who are going get excited :wink: