VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 am 

There are tracks I love on this release, but the overall album is not that great for me.

IanBlack8 wrote:
Hopefully, next album would be released sooner than in 6-7 years, but his music must be taking a lot of time to compose and record.

I wish Steve would pull another Alien Love Secrets-y trick out of his bag, showing some spontaneity. For instance a power trio thing should be outside his comfort zone enough by now, right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:56 pm 

To me... it`s a perfect record, from star to finish. My favorite? Mullach At`Si. 10 Stars!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:44 pm 

My son is only three years old.

When I mentioned the word Steve Vai...he started to play his "air guitar". I wonder how he knew!

...and I dedicated "Sunshine Electric Raindrops" to him. that song is really meaningful to me...it reminds me of my beloved son!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:41 pm 
Newcomer

Hi I'm Dee new to the board.
Been a fan long time.
OMG Story is unreal.
Love all your music Steve.
I listen to For the love of God at least a couple times a week.
It touches my soul, so spiritual, I am 55 and heard a ton of musicians in my time.
Have to say you are the ONLY one I think who plays truly from the soul.
I live in the Northeast USA-please come this way and do a concert :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:40 am 

Astonishing, awe-inspiring, cinematic, bitter-sweet, intense, poetic, fun, and whimsical.

As soon as I heard this album, I was sitting down in a coffee shop as I recall, it totally sent me to a different place entirely. It reminded me of why I was inexplicably drawn to Steve's music in the first place, and why I consider him to be not only a great guitarist, but an under-appreciated contemporary composer of the very highest order.

I consider this album to be among his very best, along with the likes of Fire Garden and P&W. He has moved on from the advanced guitar pyrotechnics (though they are still there only more constrained and subtle) and has utilised and cultivated his playing style to paint a story with every melody. Whilst some guitarists fall back on chops and musical rhetoric, Steve has now reached a point in his playing where, from as far as I can hear, he has tried to do away with the unnecessary 'fluff' and baggage of rock guitar idioms and instead honed in on what aspects of his playing best express his inner voice, and best paint the soundscape he is trying to actualise.

To put it simply, I like it, and it inspires me to create. What more can you ask for?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:27 am 

lydian7 wrote:
He has moved on from the advanced guitar pyrotechnics (though they are still there only more constrained and subtle) and has utilised and cultivated his playing style to paint a story with every melody. Whilst some guitarists fall back on chops and musical rhetoric, Steve has now reached a point in his playing where, from as far as I can hear, he has tried to do away with the unnecessary 'fluff' and baggage of rock guitar idioms and instead honed in on what aspects of his playing best express his inner voice, and best paint the soundscape he is trying to actualise.

I think you your observation here is very correct. I do get the impression that nowadays he just goes for what is absolutely natural in his playing. I absolute get why that is, but I just don't know if I like it as much because to me it seems like it's narrowed down his playing style a bit. I mostly gravitated to his wilder and rockier playing in the 80's and 90's where anything went. The newer stuff sometimes doesn't have the tendency to grab me as much. But of course, he's still a great player, composer and entertainer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:31 am 
Newcomer

I gave it a few listens all i have to say is STEVE PLEASE MOVE ON you're still copying allan holdsworth jeff beck and frank zappa shame on you all you got is a lot of guitars and a lot of money now lears how to really play

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:44 am 

For me The Story Of Light is a spectacular musical journey through the inner eye of Steve. In each theme (instrumental or otherwise) Steve is able to convey the story he wants to tell without problems.
My favorites are Velorum, The Moon and I, Weeping China Doll, Racing The World and No More Amsterdam.
Thanks Steve for this amazing cd and wait for the next...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12