VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you attend this Master Class?

Please post your reviews here!

vai.com

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:22 pm 

I attended a few classes that Steve did in the last few years, and I can't help but feel that this one was the best one.

Concerning the points that Steve wanted to get across, it seems to me that this time he managed to express them even more clearly and vividly than ever before. Especially when he talked about the modalities that allow you to access creative inspiration, enthusiasm, and even finding your true calling in life, doing away with fears and conditioned thinking. That's why attending one of these classes can be beneficial not just to guitar players, but to any musician, like I said even to anybody who is feeling lost or insecure about their vocation.

To some extent, we all experience situations where we have to tap into our ability to use creativity, and I would say that these masterclasses help you understand how to do that—in a very realistic way, with good practical examples. And even if you're already confident in what you do, this is a good chance to relax and listen to Steve talk and play. Which is a beautiful experience in itself.

Another feeling that I got is that since last year Steve is interacting even more with the audience. In fact, there was a truly beautiful moment when Steve played a few chords on the guitar, very slowly with a clean sound, suggesting that we listen very closely, feeling the notes rather than trying to understand what chords they were.

If there was any challenge during the evening, I guess it was for the translator (he did well after all, but had to sum up a few things), so it's a good thing that I understand the English language well enough not to lose anything. :wink:

During the jam at the end, one of the volunteers was an electric violin player, which was a surprise and a nice change for once. You could see that Steve too appreciated that.

With regard to the sound, it seems that Steve and the technicians in the theater took good care of it. After the masterclass was over, some of the audience members even congratulated the people who were unloading, and rightfully so. It really sounded good, very clear, well balanced and spacious. I usually use cotton in my ears when I go to concerts, but this time I didn't have to, and I didn't have any ear buzz afterwards.

There would be a lot more to tell about the evening, but I would end up writing a book. Here I wrote just a few things. Steve answered all questions, told many great anecdotes from his past experiences, and demonstrated a lot of things on the guitar. All in all it really was priceless, and everybody left the theater happier, honestly. If it sounds too good to be a reliable review, let me tell you the class was better than any words I could come up with. I enjoyed it all tremendously, to the point that I'm also attending the one in Rome next week (I still have a question)!

P.S.: Steve—if you're reading this, I honestly found some of your drawings to be really beautiful. Thank you for everything!

Samuele