VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Carvin Legacy VL100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:29 pm 
Newcomer

Thinking about getting one and had a few questions..

1. seen lots of people saying its not 'instant vai'. True or false and how close can you get without the whole axe fx system? Im after something similar to the tone from the jemini demo, obviously not counting the delay or the slight modulation there is on the signal.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBLnB3ze5Y)

2. if I plugged my ds1 into it, could I get a decent lead tone easily? (scooped mids, without any fizz, I had a H&K tubemeister and hated it)

3. does the clean channel take distortion pedals well? how is the lead channel?

4. Why choose this over say, a Marshall jvm 410?

Thanks for your help, hopefully you wont put me off! Or maybe you will, whichever is for the best :headbang

Post subject: Re: Carvin Legacy VL100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:20 am 

hi,

ive had 7 legacys,currently own 3 and now build my own hand wired amp based on the legacy which sounds incredible.

1,every guitar players tone is in his hands so using any piece of gear wont make you sound like sv,but imho the legacys sound like vai but really need some fx in the loop to sound best.these amps are also real loud and do not sound that good at low levels,they are a medium distortion amp designed to give a good blend of preamp and power amp distortion and that means turning the amp up a bit to get it sounding its best.

2/3,the amp takes pedals very well,a ds1 makes a great lead boost/distortion for the overdrive channel.
scooped mids arent really possible as the legacy is all about the mids giving it a great lead sound.

4,i had a jvm at the same time as my first legacy,i sold the jvm as i prefered the legacy,the more i played the legacy the more i liked it which was the opposite to the jvm,the downside with the legacy is it can be hard to get a good sound when playing chords as the amp has a lot of bass/low mids.

bottom line is the legacys are pretty cheap to buy so its worth getting one just to try out.

Post subject: Re: Carvin Legacy VL100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:02 am 

I've said before Legacy isn't an 'instant vai'
However- i will say the Legacy model in the axe fx- IS instant Vai

Vai and many others use it just for effects. But I spend most of my time bypassing the effects and reverb and just using preamp/cabs to most recordings.

I'd say a legacy and a jemini wouldn't get you close to there-
I've tried it- i had legacies with ds1's old and new and keeley, tubescreamers regular/turbo/keeley/ blah blah exact knob settings from pics and videos- same guitars/pickups- not even close to Vai.

2. I don't think a legacy is very fizzy. It's also not a good SCOOPED amp
Between 1 and 2- i think you'd be better off with a Marshall DSL. It would get you closer to the jemini demo video AND scooped mids. I think the Legacy will make you want more gain and sustain than you can get out of it and you'll spend hundreds and be disapointed.

3. both channels take pedals well
the clean channel is amazing- but not worth keeping considering my other amps for clean- legacy cleans really blew me away in some ways.

The marshall jvm is flat out fucking junk.

I've had two of them (one i got because i literally paid UNDER $200 DOLLARS FOR IT- and all it needed was a new $9 tube) [yes i literally bought a $3000 head for $209 in perfect condition)

anyway- they're awful amps- they're very expensive and have no resale value-
they sound awful- i've heard solid state marshall combos sound better
There's no tubes and feel and life into it- its the worst sounding marshall ever made- by far.
horrible value. if you're spending over $2000 get a Road King- thats a real amp.

Satriani's worst awful tone in the world is coming out of his JVM's its terrible.

Speaking of Satriani- A DS1 and a legacy clean would probably get you exactly satriani's tone.

anyway- The best amp marshall has made since 1969 is the JCM2000 DSL
I'd recommend it over a JVM any day