VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you attend this show?

Please post your reviews here. Steve and the band loves to read them

Vai.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:10 am 
Newcomer

The show was musically amazing, no need to ramble on about it. The audio quality could have been better, but that was a venue issue. I am glad he played some of my favourites, including sections of Firegarden Suite.

Now... I thought it was very inconsiderate with women in general and with female admirers of his music what he's said and done when the two audience members were called on stage. This is a sensitive issue and the music world is eminently sexist, and in a way that ranges from mere ignorance to active misogyny. I do not intend to call him names or anything. But I'm sad. Saying that the fantasy of all women is to play the guitar is the same as saying that they cannot and they wish they could. Little boys and little girls grow up in very different worlds, unfortunately. As a woman, I can tell you that you grow up with the very painful belief that you are not supposed to be much more than pretty. And I'm here talking about cisgenders... I can't even begin to fathom what it's like for trans folk. Anyway, it's always a conflict to really want to do something and at the same time believe that you can't. It's not as easy as shaking it off (or shutting up) and just playing the guitar, like maybe Zappa would want you to do. Whoever is privileged cannot know what it is to have the ingrained certainty that your attempts will never be enough. Now, some people manage to press on against all odds and I'm really really glad they do. Still, that takes a special set of circumstances or brain wiring or personal strength. For men... well, all of us know many average joes who play the guitar. For women, not so much. And that does NOT reflect on their capacities or their "true desires" or anything like that. Society shapes people's capacities and wants way before they can even realize it, and way deeper. So, saying that all women have the fantasy of playing the guitar is very cruel in that it rubs it on our faces just how less forgiving society is on women and how we're groomed from the start to refrain from the world of creativity/intellectuality. It's cruel, because, even when we really want to be part of it, we have to face countless instances of microagression and naturalization of gender stereotypes that prevent us from pressing on. It's cruel because it could imply that women don't play the guitar because they're kind of not there for the music, but for the show.

Now, I know he may not have intended any of these implications, but that doesn't make it any less painful: it is precisely because those implications are unseen or shrugged off that things are still miles away from progressing. So yeah... I'm sad. I'll go back to listening to Jim Hall today, may he rest in peace.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:32 pm 
Newcomer

JUST TO CLARIFY!!! The previously comment its very very PERSONAL! The girl does NOT felt offended and 99% of the audience understand the jokes about: "I know the woman`s secret desire". I was there with my girlfriend and when he told all those jokes she just laugh... she doesn't get offended at all.

BUT... like music... People will always judge and have opinions, you only live once.... You can't please everyone in life right!?

ABOUT THE SHOW!

Steve was AMAZING!!! For the very beginning of the show until the end he was perfect, intense and INSANE! That was the second time that I`ve been attended on a Vai show (first one in 2005) and I can say that every single note from his guitar sounds like touching our souls and connecting our minds.

Steve, Jeremy, Dave and Phil executed every song with just perfectionism and showed to everybody in the venue how they can "rock our asses" for about 3 hours.

By the very ending I had the privilege to see him going down to the audience (literally) and play FOR THE LOVE OF GOD with less than 5 fingers of distance. TO BAD that the security guys wasn`t expecting for that cause they started to push us like ignorants.

I would like to say that the sound was PERFECT... but its very very common that in some parts of the concert some instrument gets a little louder than another but every time that something like that happened (not a big deal) the Vai staff was quickly fixing. In general... the sound was 9/10. :headbang

Anyway...

They will always be the BEST. I`m not saying this just as a musician but also like a person. I`ve attended to the EVO Experience and I can say that every single penny was worthy. He showed to us to never get afraid to pursue our dreams cause... gave to us a lesson to how to be a good person... how he deal with criticisms... how to be successfully... etc.

My only advice is to actually establish a limit to the EVO Passes... some people can`t speak with him properly... I guess that 10 or 15 passes for show its reasonable!

ONCE AGAIN... THANK YOU STEVE! Thank you for ALL the lessons and the show... and yes... we do felt good during and after the show!!! :D

COME BACK SOON!!!
:guitar

Peace, love and good happiness stuff,
VR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:16 am 
Newcomer

Hi, folks!

First of all, I'd like to clarify that, although I have attented the previous leg of the Story of Light Tour in Brazil, that is, the awesome, amazing, wicked Belo Horizonte concert on 12/09/13, I write in the Brasília show review section for a particular reason: to refute the ridiculousness of plurabel words and attitude.

Because I don't feel like counterattacking too much someone I don't know or care about, I'll be simple and brief. If user plurabel were a true fan of Vai's work, she would've known that HE WAS F#?@!NG JOKING! The whole thing about saying that the secret fantasy of women is to play the guitar was an act. If by any chance plurabel gets to read my comment, I would like to say to you in a very politely way that you naively overreacted to something that did not happen. Or maybe you let a personal bad experience interfere with your enjoyment of the show. And to expand this pseudo "sensitive issue" of yours to a holistic perspective, I say that it's not even about men mistreating and demeaning women: good people are not sexist at all. Listen to this man's music, watch and read his interviews, take a look at his biography and at all the stuff he's been doing since he was a teenager. Do your research, plurabel, and learn that Steve Vai is not only a great man and huge admirer of wonderful guitarists like Sharon Isbin, Jennifer Batten and Orianthi Panagaris, but also have worked with some of them in many projects. Geez, his wife Pia Maiocco was a bass player in the 80's. Oh, and just so you know, THEY'RE ALL WOMEN ! The last two paragraphs of your post were completely absurd, unfair and inappropriate.

As for the show itself, I got a kick out of it. C'mon, even Thomas Nordegg interacts on stage. How cool is that! It was such a surprise to listen to excerpts of pieces like Salamanders In The Sun and Rescue Me or Bury Me. I wish Mr. Vai considers doing big, crazy, beautiful new arrangements for Little Green Men, Call It Sleep and Burnin' Down The Mountain for his next tour. It's so magical to see and listen to Steve Vai performing live with his band. In many occasions during the evening, I kept thinking to myself: "These guys are true pros. They might have been doing the same set list for such a long period of time, but still they sound and look as if they were playing it to us for the first time". Well, there's a(n obvious) reason that guys like PB, DW and JC have been around for so many years. Steve Vai's energy on stage is plainly relentless. Now I understand when he talks about the importance of aligning ourselves with our choices. I consider myself a big Vai fan and, for that reason, it's easy for me now to see the perfect balance that he has achieved among his music, his personality and, of course, showbiz.

A big thanks to Steve Vai, his band, the whole crew, and all those involved into bringing once again an unforgettable musical experience to Brazil.

Muito obrigado!

Paulo Reis.

P.S.: SV's music has been improving my life's quality for more than 15 years, but I got a constructive criticism to say here. I love Irish music too, Steve, but PLEASE (!) don't give up composing the 7th song of your future albums.

P.S.2: "Vai, vai, vai! What, what, what?" :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:27 pm 
Newcomer

You basically called me stupid in a way that can be viewed as polite with the right amount of bias, and I really think I did not have that coming. You are right, I did not do any research, and I stated in my post that I was saddened by that but did not call Steve Vai names and did not pretend to know what he's like in his life. I know that he has worked with those very talented ladies and know about Pia, and, while his experience with them doesn't mean that, because of it, he is definitely not sexist, I do feel it is a positive thing, for sure.

My comment was geared towards expressing something that I know is very important not just for me but for many women out there, and it says something about both the specific "feel" of that joke, that day, and also about its broader context. I do not think it is a good idea to invalidate an expression of what I feel and to naturalize this kind of disappointment. I do not think it's fair, as I think you were very hasty and, for some reason, let your emotions (anger is an emotion, hubris is too, as is pride) get the better of you by calling me naive and ridiculous.

The way I see it, denying the underlying sexism of jokes like that is very harmful to a great number of people. It is, at its core, the same kind of disposition that allows for women to have less opportunities and to grow up thinking that they cannot do certain things or be a certain way... it is, at its core, the same kind of mentality that lets other people think they can control their bodies, their feelings (by dismissing them, and sometimes dismissing them through joking) and their sexuality. It's the same core issue that allows for rape to happen and for all kinds of abuse, whether physical of psychological.

I do know that I will not be able to convince you otherwise, so I just ask you to respect my opinion and my feelings about it, as well as of other women who feel the same, and I know there are many of them. Some do not, mostly because they are taught by our society to shrug things off, and end up living their lives not as fully as they should because they were groomed to be happy as seconds, as admirers and not doers, as the ones in the sidelines. It's naturalized. But I'd just ask you to at least consider being a little more respectful of feelings you do not understand. And, if I may, I suggest reading this: http://papodehomem.com.br/carta-aberta- ... do-brasil/. If you are feeling open-minded, go ahead and read this other one too: http://papodehomem.com.br/feminismo/.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:52 pm 
Newcomer

plurabel,

This is a sexist and gender discussion! I suggest to you move this kind of arguments to another topic instead to incist to do this on the review page.

Steve and his crew sometimes look at this hoping to get any feed about the show... Like the setlist, moments, energy from the audience, etc.

I know Steve for a while... The Story of Light Tour always was full of funny and interactive moments... This joke was supose to do with his harpist on stage. Bafore the answer: "play guitar" the true answer was "play harp".... And his harpist was a woman. He just chance this answer trying to focus on Dave, since his last musician has left the band.

He DID NOT intended to suggest that womans are not capable to become a guitar player. Its just a desire and like every desire and dreams, we must pursue that!

You said that you would not call him any names but you suggested that Steve was a misogegy... Even doesn't expliciting that... It was implicit on your post!

Jeroen, please do not allow this kind of discussion on the Concert Reviews section.

PS: feminism sucks just like machism. They both are wrong and offensive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:19 pm 
Newcomer

http://papodehomem.com.br/feminismo/

"2. Machismo vs feminismo, a falsa dicotomia
[Link permanente dessa seção]

Feminismo é a busca por direitos iguais para as mulheres.

Machismo é a dominação do homem sobre a mulher.

Os dois termos não são, nunca serão, não podem ser análogos. É uma falsa simetria. É como reclamar de não haver um Dia da Consciência Branca.

(Uma camisa “100% Branco” é de profundo mau-gosto, ao mostrar quem está por cima celebrando sua hegemonia. “100% Negro”, por outro lado, é a celebração de uma identidade subalterna tentando se afirmar contra todas as desvantagens inerentes no sistema. Captaram a diferença?)

O machismo, por definição, é anti-mulher mas o feminismo não é, nunca foi, nunca será anti-homem. O inimigo do feminismo não é você, homem de carne e osso lendo isso, mas a estrutura machista da nossa sociedade.

Outro dia, um amigo me disse:

“o feminismo levado ao extremo é pior do que qualquer machismo”.

Mas quando é que o feminismo foi levado ao extremo? Vocês já viram mulheres pregando discurso de ódio aos homens, dizendo que os homens não deveriam poder trabalhar, votar, assinar contrato? Nunca vi ninguém nem mesmo defender isso, quanto mais aplicar no mundo real.

Por outro lado, o machismo, em todas as suas vertentes, é aplicado todo dia, no mundo inteiro, em bilhões de mulheres. E, pior, o machismo mata.

Também tem gente que diz:

Não sou machista nem feminista, sou humanista!

Mas os três termos não tem literalmente nada a ver um com o outro: o machismo é um sistema de dominação, o feminismo é uma luta política por direitos iguais e o humanismo é o sistema filosófico materialista que coloca a humanidade em primeiro lugar — em oposição à deus e à metafísica.

Não é nem que são termos opostos ou coincidentes, mas se referem a áreas completamente distintas.

Seria como dizer:

Não sou nem paulista nem canhoto, sou engenheiro!

Portanto, falar que “as feministas são tão ruins quanto os machistas” só faz expor o machismo de quem fala.

A feminista mais radical não tem como ser pior do que o machista mais brando. Por definição, é impossível."

(me desculpe, mas não tenho mais cabeça para explicar o básico do básico.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:03 pm 
Newcomer

Hello, you guys! How's it going?

I've just sent you a private message, plurabel. Hopefully we can have a virtual tête-à-tête if you feel like doing it.

And as for you, VRock777, just take it easy, man. We are not going to make a rhetorical battlefield off of this forum section. Next time, please try to wait the other person's reply before asking the moderator to employ censorship over this kind of debate.

Take care you two,

Paulo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:06 pm 
Newcomer

istrider wrote:
Hello, you guys! How's it going?

I've just sent you a private message, plurabel. Hopefully we can have a virtual tête-à-tête if you feel like doing it.

And as for you, VRock777, just take it easy, man. We are not going to make a rhetorical battlefield off of this forum section. Next time, please try to wait the other person's reply before asking the moderator to employ censorship over this kind of debate.

Take care you two,

Paulo.

Sure Paulo, I`ve asked to Jeroen (or Jordan) interview on this `cause I want to avoid this kind of discussion and "battlefield" like you said.

This is pointless for the concert review... It could be in another session... I am taking easy... BUT I have to follow the rules, in respect with Steve and Vai.com.

This kind of issue its very very personal... I must say... this is not a review... this is a gender discussion!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Folks, let's take it easy.

Everybody is entitled to voice their opinion and you can't fault someone for feeling the way they feel, even if the cause was unintended (and it was). These things happen sometimes. Let's accept and move on?

J