VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:14 am 
Newcomer

I think I have every DVD that has Mr. Vai that has came available legally. By that, I mean I only will purchase licensed material from any artist that is for sale. It's their intellectual property, THEY deserve the monies that come from them. My question is simple: Are there any plans for any concert DVD's for the Story of Light?
I have all of the G3 DVD's. Just curious.

Best Regards
Mark Conner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:18 am 

I think I've heard that he'll be putting out the concert that was shot in L.A. last year on dvd...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:54 am 

i doubt it- it was broadcast live

and Axs tv probably owns the rights to it- because they probably covered the cost to film it- so Vai probably can't get a hold of the footage/audio and/or have the right to sell it... it would probably be a ton of legal crap and much cheaper just to film it from scratch...

but i don't know

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:56 am 

Jeries wrote:
i doubt it- it was broadcast live

and Axs tv probably owns the rights to it- because they probably covered the cost to film it- so Vai probably can't get a hold of the footage/audio and/or have the right to sell it... it would probably be a ton of legal crap and much cheaper just to film it from scratch...

but i don't know

That's probably true, but I did read it in an interview somewhere....also, for example Devin Townsend's Retinal Circus show that he released on Bluray a year later was also streamed live on the internet, so you never know...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:58 pm 

Steve mentioned that he will work on a DVD for TSOL tour in a facebook chat some month ago...and he pointed to the LA concert that was streamed on AXS TV.
I hope it won´t take as much time as his solo albums to be released :guitar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:35 pm 

To be perfectly honest- I enjoy always seeing new Vai material- every time something new comes out, even an interview, I get excited about seeing/reading it. But honestly I have to say that I really DONT want a new DVD. I feel like a dick for saying that- vais going to work for weeks on end, put his heart and soul into the mixing and mastering, bonus content, etc, and he's going to be so excited to see the reaction from his fans- and I'm saying I don't want it. Ultimate dickery... BUT:

I really can't wait to hear the third record- Real illusions was true to heart, quirky deep music carrying over from the ultra zone. It's the most delicate and experimental. SOL was very theatrical, deeply rich layers, a very "warm record". So the next record- we've got the heavy righ layers of SOL, the refreshing basicness to the actual SOUND of the mixing of RI making it much more delicate guitar signal ( RI is a tour I would have loved to have seen btw). What's next? I feel a very diverse third record coming, having being the last record before the entire fourth record and completion of the project. I really feel like this project is going to be nothing like anything before. Four records, a story that interweaves I to all of it- tons of possibilities for material release. I hope Steve makes it really big, the ending, not just four records in order and a story. If this is going to be his quissisential project, (because it could take another ten years to get done- I'll be 26 by then- a really scary thought) I hope it becomes a massive ending to the entire journey of the projec that might take the better part of 20 years to complete. That could be why Steve wants to release fun things like DVDs, orchestra records, etc, showcasing the best work he's done.

So that's kind of off topic, and I've changed my mind- I'd rather Steve take a break not do a new record and release a DVD for the time being. Sometimes I think I, and probably a lot of others too, expect too much- I've never finished writing a single song, let alone mix and master 12... Etc.
so yeah- I would love a new record, but the idea of a new DVD is exciting. And this is an actual tour I've been to, so it's not like it's a show I didn't get to see on tour.

-Kyle