VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you attend this show?

Please post your reviews here. Steve and the band loves to read them

Vai.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:59 am 

I will post a full review with a setlist and pics and all tomorrow. As of right now, I am (to borrow a word from 1980's era surfer guys) stoked!

I'm especially excited that Steve is coming to Chattanooga. We normally don't get GOOD concerts in this area (one must go to Atlanta to see anything worth seeing), but not this night.

I can't wait!

Anyone else on the board from Chatt that's going tonight?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:46 am 

As promised yesterday my review follows.

** EDIT number 3 ** - I took some pictures with my Iphone and they all pretty much sucked. I got maybe one or 2 that were decent at best. I'm sure someone else has done a much better job with picks. Some chick was taking video the entire time they did the "Audience creates a tune" segment. Hopefully she'll put it on youtube. That was a lot of fun..

*** WARNING *** THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS - so if you want to be surprised, don't read it.

I'm going to preface this by saying that after the Ultra Zone album, I don't know the tunes by name (shame on me, I know).

There was no opening act. There were 2 guys that won some sort of contest where you get to "open for Steve Vai". They played one tune each. On and off the stage quickly. They weren't bad, but we all know why we were there... ** EDIT number 2 ** - The guys that played before Steve played VERY WELL under some tough circumstances. I didn't mean to come off like they were not good. They were both VERY good and it takes some brass to get up on stage before Steve Vai - Great job guys!

Vai came on at 8:00 PM on the nose. I was impressed by that because that's the first concert I've ever been to (and I've been to a LOT) where the headliner came on stage at the time it says on the ticket.

As stated above, I don't know the names of the tunes off of the new album and the first 3 or 4 tunes were off the new one. He also played (not in this order) Tender Surrender, Building the Church, Answers, Frank, The Animal (best version I've ever heard), Whispering a Prayer, The Audience is Listening, For the Love of God, Sisters, Angel Food, Taurus Bulba and Ultra Zone. And a few others that were either on The Story of Light or Real Illusions (again, I apologize for not knowing the names of the tunes off the newer ones - this may be a consequence of the way that we get music nowadays. At Amazon, if you buy a CD, you also get to download the mp3s. So what I'll do to preserve my original copy of the CD, is burn the mp3's to an audio CD to listen to in the car - hence no names to associate the tunes with - the music biz and it's distribution methods is a whole other story though, and I'm going off on a tangent, sorry).

The band was :

Steve Vai
Jeremy Colson
Philip Bynoe
Dave Weiner

There was also an unkown guy who was doing the parts that Dave W used to do - basically the simple sitar parts and acoustic backing chords. Dave is now playing the fast, difficult, unison lines along with Steve - and keeping quite nicely I might add. I've watched Dave progress as a player over all this time and he is REALLLY, REALLY good.

Jermey Colson (to my ears) is getting more tasteful. He's a HARD player and now I see him playing with more finesse. He's also improved greatly - not that he (or Dave W) were ever not good - they've just improved a lot and grown musically over the years.

Phillip Bynoe is always great. He's a SOLID, funky bass player who can keep the perfect pocket.

Vai was (as always) great and seemed to really enjoy doing what he was doing. There was tons of crowd interaction. During the first tune, he noticed an older guy holding his fingers in his ears, so before the next tune, he got his guitar tech to bring some cotton for the guy to put in his ears. He wore the laser suit during the Ultra Zone.

I think this band he's touring with right now is perfect. They're all great players and they know each other VERY well. I think the harp and the violins were neat, but I just want to hear cranked up tube guitar sounds and that's what I got last night.

** EDIT ** - He also did an acoustic version of Rescue me or Bury Me which was AWESOME.

Last edited by adam525 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:42 pm 
Newcomer

I was at this show, too. I saw both the Bijou show in Knoxville, and I decided I had to go see the Chattanooga show at Track 29. Both were incredible.

Please come back to Tennessee soon, Steve!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:02 pm 
Newcomer

best show I've ever seen and I have been to a very lot of concerts. I got the evo exp. steve was great to talk with and seemed very down to earth. he autographed everything everyone toted in and offered extra art ect. took the time to have pics made with everyone. He put on a fantastic show only part I didn't like was not getting to watch bad horsie played live (maybe next time). 2 thumbs up from Chattanooga,tn! :guitar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:14 pm 
Newcomer

First a question? What was the first contest winner that played pre-show? He was excellent.

Steve Vai is an entertainer and has surrounded himself with an incredibly talented cast. Jeremy Colson was a fantastic percussionist. Philip Bynoe was talented and made the rythym section extremely tight. Dave Weiner was amazing and his playing gave me hints and a feel of the late great Michael Hedges. I picked up the latest solo acoustic album and found it intense, exciting, and even relaxing... Then of course Steve Vai. He has consistently been an inspiration since Flexable. The show was very entertaining. I heard it was about a 3 hour show and thought I would lose interest but I was very wrong... Loved the audience participation. Steve Vai is also a vai-able comedian, he said some really funny stuff...

Although Steve Vai hasn't been to Chattanooga solo he was with David Lee Roth in 1987 at the arena. He was amazing then and more so now...

If you love music and have the ability to see this show I recommend it highly!

Steve Vai and band please return to Chattanooga soon. Thanks for an awesome evening!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:12 pm 
Newcomer

This was the best Steve Vai show I have ever seen. The crowd was really into it. Even Dave tweeted that the Chattanooga crowd was the best so far.

I did the EVO Experience. This was worth every penny. If Steve comes anywhere close again, I will buy the EVO package again. Watching the sound check was amazing. At the end of it Dave brought me up on stage to check out his and Steve's pedal boards. I had a private guitar lesson with Dave earlier in the day, so he new I wanted to check out the gear.

I advise everyone to go see this tour if you can.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:39 am 

Do you remember me Steve? I was the guy standing in the 3rd row with a green shirt. I'm kidding. I hate when people ask someone if they remember them from a show 20 years ago.

I was the guy that you signed a baseball for at the "Gods of Rock" tour in '89 bro! You signed it "To Billy, A FAROUT FAN"!

Cautoc3 - Here's a link to a youtube video of the guy opening for Steve in Chatt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwZs8mzzesM

**Edit - This post isnt a reply to anything here - just a general comment **

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:56 pm 
Newcomer

I was at this show. I have been wanting to see Steve since I was a Kid but it just hasnt ever worked out! Couldnt Afford the EVO though if he makes good on his promise and he comes back I will make darn sure I do. I just want to meet the man and thank him for his music. It has always been there for me thorugh the good and bad.
I posted a few of the videos I took
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCScVTjblpo
Anyone have a good video of weeping china doll? i didnt get that one.

much thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:37 am 
Newcomer

Thank you adam525...

Still so thankful Mr. Steve "freakin" Vai graced Chattanooga with such a memorable performance.

Thank you so much Steve :guitar , Dave :guitar , Philip :peace , and Jeremy :headbang ! As well as all the crew and everyone involved in putting on this awesome experience.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:20 pm 
Newcomer

Just want to say thank you Steve and Band for coming to Chattanooga. What a great show!