VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:00 pm 

I am pretty sure I heard him say he films multiple live concerts in the same location so that he can choose the video footage from the best performance to put on the finished disc. Does he use all footage from the best single nightly performance judged as a 'whole' or does he literally cut'n'paste the best performances from multiple nights?

So my question is, when Steve decides he wants to make a DVD/Blu-Ray of himself or the G3 band I am curious if he ever films at more than a single location so that he has more material to choose from. So he could compare 6 different concerts of footage from, maybe, two different cities. Instead of only 3 concerts from 1 city. Probably two expensive to shoot footage in 2 different cities.

Just curious if anybody knows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 pm 

For the Astoria dvd 2 consecutive shows were shot in the same location. In certain song there are 2 sections, one from each show edited together, you can actually see that sometimes the guitar changes during the song....The Minneapolis dvd I believe was a single night as are all the G3 shows. There are additional overdubs that you can notice in various parts of the performances on the dvds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:31 pm 

Prezidentman wrote:
For the Astoria dvd 2 consecutive shows were shot in the same location. In certain song there are 2 sections, one from each show edited together, you can actually see that sometimes the guitar changes during the song....The Minneapolis dvd I believe was a single night as are all the G3 shows. There are additional overdubs that you can notice in various parts of the performances on the dvds.

Oh wow, I bought that DVD and watched it. I never noticed the guitars changing during a single song...seriously...what is the song...that's hilarious. I gotta see that. :) It appears Steve is the master of deception... :) ...if you claim is true...well, of course guitarists do change guitars in the middle of shows all the time so...I guess its not so uncommon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:00 am 

When in WTWTA was there overdubs? I don't think I ever noticed any.

For the Astoria- during bad horsie he changed footage in the middle. The entire song of the bad horsie performance was an overdub done in the studio- most of it anyway. I think he MIGHT have done it during either babushka or incantation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 pm 

Don't take my word for it but if memory serves me well I believe there are some vocal overdubs in All About Eve... Ann Marie's vocals in the chorus were overdubbed with the studio recording version. Mind you, the sample may have even been used live in concert... I don't remember though we're going back 6 years.

Can anyone else shed some light on this? I may be wrong...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:12 am 

BigBadMoFoGangsta wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:

Oh wow, I bought that DVD and watched it. I never noticed the guitars changing during a single song...seriously...what is the song...that's hilarious. I gotta see that. :) It appears Steve is the master of deception... :) ...if you claim is true...well, of course guitarists do change guitars in the middle of shows all the time so...I guess its not so uncommon

It's not really a deception or a secret, I think Steve even mentions it in the audio commentary...some sections just came out better one night others a different night so he just used the best of each of those shows...you can easily see the guitars changing during "The Animal" for example.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:18 am 

kyle am I wrote:
The entire song of the bad horsie performance was an overdub done in the studio- most of it anyway.

No, the song is live, Steve did however add the keyboard chords you hear during the middle "feedback" section subsequently in the studio to extend the effect.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:19 am 

GYiakoumi wrote:
Don't take my word for it but if memory serves me well I believe there are some vocal overdubs in All About Eve... Ann Marie's vocals in the chorus were overdubbed with the studio recording version. Mind you, the sample may have even been used live in concert... I don't remember though we're going back 6 years.

Can anyone else shed some light on this? I may be wrong...

Yeah, can't be sure what was used live but the audio on dvd is definitely taken from the studio recording.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:24 am 

kyle am I wrote:
When in WTWTA was there overdubs? I don't think I ever noticed any.

In the beginning of "The Murder" before the melody kicks in, for example...