VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rig Update
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 pm 

Yeah TC Electronics knows who Petrucci is- and don't know who I am...

In fact they've treaded me pretty shitty at Namm talking to them too...

I've seen Musiciansfriend have better deals on gear than my pricing...

and I sold all my TC gear on ebay

But everything does vary...

Most companies nowadays don't give away free gear- some do- some don't... I have some that give me a little, some that give me a ton, some that give me nothing...

Luckily- anything is good- because I"d be buying it anyway...

I've talked to mesa boogie a lot- and have heard from them about me/my playing/my love for their amps- however even Metallica, Petrucci and Santana have to pay for their amps- and non have ever got one for free- so craigslist it is..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:58 am 

Jeries wrote:

I'd also say in general I have some room to talk in all this because...

I am an endorsed artist from many of the brands mentioned above...

DiMarzio, Morley Pedals, TC Electronic, Fernandes Guitars, Fractal Audio Systems...So I know how things work. (although I'd use all of the stuff even if Vai didn't use them- I still only use the Bad Horsie- not because of Vai but because it is the closest pedal to an EMB Audio remote wah)

I've also passed on several endorsements and no longer use many companies I've once endorsed/got stuff from... For example N-Tune guitar tuners that are built into the vol pot- i know longer use/endorse.

D'Addario for example hit me at artist pricing before tax and extremely expensive fedex shipping- more than what musiciansfriend sells 10 packs for on electrics.

I'd use carvin guitars- they're very underrated and the best set up instruments out of a factory- I like their amps but all the free carvins in the world wouldn't make me get rid of a boogie.

I also have many other endorsement deals, InTuneGP for guitar picks and a few others... I also have relationships with people at many other companies that I wouldn't call and endorsement but they take care of me...even guitar center

...so I know how things work.

oh ok.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:04 am 

Jeries wrote:
Yeah TC Electronics knows who Petrucci is- and don't know who I am...

In fact they've treaded me pretty shitty at Namm talking to them too...

I've seen Musiciansfriend have better deals on gear than my pricing...

and I sold all my TC gear on ebay

But everything does vary...

Most companies nowadays don't give away free gear- some do- some don't... I have some that give me a little, some that give me a ton, some that give me nothing...

Luckily- anything is good- because I"d be buying it anyway...

I've talked to mesa boogie a lot- and have heard from them about me/my playing/my love for their amps- however even Metallica, Petrucci and Santana have to pay for their amps- and non have ever got one for free- so craigslist it is..

Have you designed signature gear for any of them? That's a very different thing. To endorse a product has no implied restrictions on using other stuff to me either. Just because product X is great does not make product Y less so. However if you design it, put your name and logo on it and make videos declaring it the best thing since sliced bread, I think its fair to have some expectation that the artist would use it and if not, its fair to question why not. If Steve is not using his own designs, what did he find that was better?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 am 

It's not that cut and dry I dont think. I look at it like this...

A company approached Steve (or any other endorsee) to create a pedal/amp/guitar/window scraper. At that point in time it fits his needs perfectly. After a while, needs may change. He may want a different type of sweep on the wah, a wider scraper on the window scraper, etc. So he finds something that will fit the bill. It doesn't mean what he designed before sucks all of a sudden, he is looking for something different.

Or it could be with the amps that Carvin came at him and said "We have been getting lots of requests for an amp that has a specific set of requirements, we created a design that is similar with the Mini V3, but we want to make a Legacy version as well, would you care to help us work on it?" Steve may not have had a need since the L1 still works great for him, but he did help design it for a certain set of needs and he put his name on it.

It's the same with guitars. Satch for example has had a plethora of models with Ibanez, he may not play the first one he ever designed all the time. He may not play the new model all the time. People switch things up depending on what talks to him at that moment.

Paul Gilbert has the Fireman guitar but he stills rocks the old PGs as well live.

Just because they helped design it and their name is on it, doesn't mean they use it exclusively. I'm sure the Carroll Shelby still drove a Mustang (or other car) once in a while. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:17 am 

oh ok.

BWWAAHAHAHAA....Awesome response

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:15 pm 

DomitianX wrote:
It's not that cut and dry I dont think. I look at it like this...

A company approached Steve (or any other endorsee) to create a pedal/amp/guitar/window scraper. At that point in time it fits his needs perfectly. After a while, needs may change. He may want a different type of sweep on the wah, a wider scraper on the window scraper, etc. So he finds something that will fit the bill. It doesn't mean what he designed before sucks all of a sudden, he is looking for something different.

Or it could be with the amps that Carvin came at him and said "We have been getting lots of requests for an amp that has a specific set of requirements, we created a design that is similar with the Mini V3, but we want to make a Legacy version as well, would you care to help us work on it?" Steve may not have had a need since the L1 still works great for him, but he did help design it for a certain set of needs and he put his name on it.

It's the same with guitars. Satch for example has had a plethora of models with Ibanez, he may not play the first one he ever designed all the time. He may not play the new model all the time. People switch things up depending on what talks to him at that moment.

Paul Gilbert has the Fireman guitar but he stills rocks the old PGs as well live.

Just because they helped design it and their name is on it, doesn't mean they use it exclusively. I'm sure the Carroll Shelby still drove a Mustang (or other car) once in a while. :D

Yes but Joe and the rest do use their stuff. Its not hard to find examples of it.

I didn't say he had to use the L3 exclusively. It does not appear to me he is using it all. And if he is not, I said its fair to question why he is not and it is.

He spoke about how he didn't like the L2 as much so channels 1+2 were put back exactly like the L1. He further went on about how he felt limited by the 2 channel design of the L1, hence the 3rd channel. He further went on to say he no longer needed a boost pedal etc (thrilling Ibanez to no end I am sure). That sure sounds like design changes HE wanted, not Carvin's user base. If those are things he really wanted one would think he would be using them.

Putting them on top of the rack were everyone can plainly see they are not even plugged in as backups speaks volumes to people who are not die hard Vai fans. They didn't even try to make it look used. Given how cheaply L1's be purchased used why would anyone buy the L3 after seeing that?

Maybe he is having tech problems with them. Mine has been back to the shop at Carvins request already for a repair. I never said he didn't have a good reason. I said its fair, given the circumstances, to question it in the absence of information from anyone who might actually know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:30 pm 

It really doesn't matter to me if he uses the L3 version or not. He has a sound in his head he wants to create and the L1 does it for him. Maybe his rig was built with it before the L3? Maybe Thomas doesn't like teching them? Maybe he uses the L3 at home to serenade Pia when he gets randy because it does bedroom volumes better?

Who knows. He didn't use his Jems for the Hendrix tour stuff. Did he briefly hate Jems?

I've seen his pedal boards at various gigs and sometimes he uses the Horsie, sometimes he likes the Dunlop 535q. Later on he was using the Horsie again.

As an artist he uses whatever he feels best at the moment to create the sound in his head. There is no reason to get all bent up about it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:28 pm 

Yes, but he in fact uses the JEM's...

You guys are just not getting it.. Its not an all or nothing discussion...

Done...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:56 pm 

Those Hendrix guitars were Ibanez...like superstrat/jem type strats... LACS
Vai uses Legacies... Carvin obviously wanted a new product...so they made one and are trying to sell it-

There are so many people you can choose to bitch about...

Dave Mustaine, Joe Satriani is a great example when it comes to amps- peavey/marshall/JVM/etc... even his relationship with vox and crap he's never used. $$$

I can think of 100 examples...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:56 pm 

Those Hendrix guitars were Ibanez...like superstrat/jem type strats... LACS
Vai uses Legacies... Carvin obviously wanted a new product...so they made one and are trying to sell it-

There are so many people you can choose to bitch about...

Dave Mustaine, Joe Satriani is a great example when it comes to amps- peavey/marshall/JVM/etc... even his relationship with vox and crap he's never used. $$$

I can think of 100 examples...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheArchitect wrote:
I didn't say he had to use the L3 exclusively. It does not appear to me he is using it all. And if he is not, I said its fair to question why he is not and it is.

Here's the core of the issue. You think he isn't using them.

The actual truth is, he's occasionally using them in a live situation (A/B versus his current L1, which are obviously his favorite for live situations right now). Touring only gives a limited opportunity to try new stuff out. Normally this would work better during rehearsals, but given the very limited time for rehearsing between the various tours (NNO, ETO, SOL EU etc), he has them with him on tour right now, in case the opportunity arises (which as several people noticed, occasionally does).

Secondly, he's using them in the studio.

Thirdly, your take on the whole 'he designed them so he should use them' is again not the way things work.
They are tools. Tools he will use if a situation calls for it. Not the other way around. It's about the music, not the product.
j

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:29 am 

I can see, quite easily, how some folk find the whole thing a bit weird.

At one point, Steve was promoting his distortion pedal, which he said was amazing.......then he promotes a new amp and say the distortion on it is so good that you "don't need" a distortion pedal.

That, quite frankly, is slightly weird.

However, nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Just because Steve does something one way doesn't mean you have to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:23 am 

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Steve was promoting his distortion pedal, which he said was amazing.......then he promotes a new amp and say the distortion on it is so good that you "don't need" a distortion pedal.

And he is right. You don't need a distortion pedal, it sounds great just the way it is. A "good raw distortion" for a basic set up for a his amp but...
I can only imagian that he would also like a different sounding distortion to add to his taste at different moments at different musical ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:48 am 

Bryceybhoy wrote:
I can see, quite easily, how some folk find the whole thing a bit weird.

At one point, Steve was promoting his distortion pedal, which he said was amazing.......then he promotes a new amp and say the distortion on it is so good that you "don't need" a distortion pedal.

That, quite frankly, is slightly weird.

However, nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Just because Steve does something one way doesn't mean you have to.

I do like the L3. It is my main amp these days.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am 

this is perfect.
GYiakoumi wrote:
Jeries wrote:

I'd also say in general I have some room to talk in all this because...

I am an endorsed artist from many of the brands mentioned above...

DiMarzio, Morley Pedals, TC Electronic, Fernandes Guitars, Fractal Audio Systems...So I know how things work. (although I'd use all of the stuff even if Vai didn't use them- I still only use the Bad Horsie- not because of Vai but because it is the closest pedal to an EMB Audio remote wah)

I've also passed on several endorsements and no longer use many companies I've once endorsed/got stuff from... For example N-Tune guitar tuners that are built into the vol pot- i know longer use/endorse.

D'Addario for example hit me at artist pricing before tax and extremely expensive fedex shipping- more than what musiciansfriend sells 10 packs for on electrics.

I'd use carvin guitars- they're very underrated and the best set up instruments out of a factory- I like their amps but all the free carvins in the world wouldn't make me get rid of a boogie.

I also have many other endorsement deals, InTuneGP for guitar picks and a few others... I also have relationships with people at many other companies that I wouldn't call and endorsement but they take care of me...even guitar center

...so I know how things work.

oh ok.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next