VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:06 am 

Did you attend this show?
Please post your reviews here! Steve and the band loves to read them.

Vai.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:54 am 

Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:00 pm 
Newcomer

Gettin' pumped up for the Tucson show tonight at The Rialto.

Hopefully I'll have some good pix and a review by tomorrow. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:44 am 
Newcomer

OK, while I will NEVER be one to have recall of an entire set list, let's just say that this "show" was amazing :guitar

I say "show" because it really wasn't. It really was An Experience !!!

I've seen Mr. Vai numerous times over the years when he's been in Tucson, and I always come away feeling like I've been jamming with a bunch of friends - for three hours. It's been a long time since I've come away from a show tired. Tired yet completely energized.

Life is best lived without regrets, so let's just say the one thing "I missed" on this leg of the tour was buying a ticket to the Evo Experience. I know it would have been well worth it, and I would love to be able to sit down with Steve and just talk about things. Guitar playing would always be at the forefront of the conversation, but just to be able to hear his philosophies on different everyday things would be fun too. I'd even like to know if he's a Laker fan (being from L.A. of course).

I'll post pictures later, but just to review a few of the highlights:
- Buildin the Church has always been one of my favorites, and this did not disappoint.
- Weeping China Doll, off The Story of Light is a very emotionally-charged song, and is even more so when seen live.
- The acoustic set performed midway through the show was great too, of course ALWAYS highlighted by Rescue Me or bury Me.
- Fire Garden Suite - need I say more ?
- The acoustic portion performed by Dave Weiner was a surprise to me, 'cuz this guy can really shred and hold his own with the best guitarist in the known universe !!!

Lastly, the portion of the show when Steve invites audience members up was a one-of-a-kind thing, and Richelle (sp?), Milo and little Julian experienced something that, YES, definitely made me jealous !

But in the end, it's all good, 'cuz I got a Vai pick and a drumstick from Jeremy Colson; badges of honor from being in the front row !!! Enjoy the gang when they come to your locale, and God Bless You All !!!

Jimbo in Arizona :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:35 pm 
Newcomer

This show was everything that has been stated and so much more! I bought the tickets to the show as a surprise to my husband. Due to a combination of scheduling conflicts while traveling with our children for soccer, we have missed the past three shows that brought Steve Vai to Tucson.
This music has special meaning for us since my husband introduced me to this music back in 1988 with Flex-Able, & then Passion & Warfare. He has been playing the guitar since 1984 and I fell in love with both him, and instrumental guitar rock then.
We love supporting our favorite artists, and avidly support the local music scene in Tucson. Going to concerts became increasingly difficult over the years as I have been living with Multiple Sclerosis for almost 20 years. I find myself relying on a wheelchair more often than I would like to. The concert experience isn't exactly the same from a wheelchair. Even though most venues have wheelchair accessible seating, it just isn't the same experience. We go to the Rialto often for local shows, and never thought of being close to the stage so it was wonderful when security ushered us to the front. It was even more special in the way that Mr Vai includes his entire audience. I was also mesmerized by the remarkable playing of Philip Bynoe. I often play, though not well, the bass to keep up with the dexterity & flexibility of my fingers. This was a very memorable evening. My husband saw one of his idols, our friend had a break from the grief of a death in the family, & I felt included once again. Thank you!!