VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you attending this show?

Meet up with fellow fans and review the show in this thread.

Jeroen :)
vai.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:11 am 
Newcomer

Hey !

It was an amazing show, you always keep smiling even when the show was interrupted by a power cut !
It's always a great privilege to meet Steve and the band, and thank you to have share your time to discuss with us even if you just woken up :wink: .
Sorry for the man who has invited himself on the stage :evil:
Special thanks to Jeremy, a great man and i hope he's found a watch :wink: !

Hope you will come back again in this beautifull venue, next time you will have a coffe from Starbucks :D !

Love You ! :headbang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:10 am 
Newcomer

Hi everyone (and hopefully the great Steve),

It had been a long time since I hadn't been to a Steve's concert. Last time was in (since then burnt, and renovated) Elysée-Montmartre, in Paris, in the early 2000. I've been supporting him for over 20 years, starting when "Passion and warfare" was released and astonished me.

I was first surprised to notice that only seats were open to sale! Is it a really a hard-rock concert I'm going to? And I must admitt that I was finally happy to seat after this 2 hours and 45 minutes show!

The Théâtre Sébastopol is a beautiful little venue (1350 seats), but I was a bit disappointed that quite a lot of seats remained empty on the balcony. What a shame!

Now, about the show:

After an anecdotal sound power cut, the whole thing started again from the beginning - giving Steve the time he needed to do what he had forgotten to do :lol: . No problem at all about that. For the first time, and not the least, we can see that Steve is at ease and smily in any case...

Powerful! A good word to express the global feeling! I must confess I didn't know the first songs but was rapidly comforted when the 1st notes of "Tender surrender" came to our ears. What an extraordinary moment!(I think I might shortly be out of words to qualify Steve and the band's work yesterday...). Not only the composition is brilliant, the execution was just like it was recorded years ago, plus even more delightful details added by the master. Just like in a dream.
By the way, the lights were superb all through the performance.
I don't forget to mention that Steve is very nice and close to his audience. He often comes to play on the border of the stage and let the fans shoot him with their phones. He plays FOR them, for us, which is so kind of him.
The band played wonderfully, serving the leader and reacting to his so many different moods and kinds of playing. The osmosis was just perfect. And so on with the audience. A true moment of grace we had yesterday night. And of course, each musician is a virtuoso. The only thing I "disliked" was the balance of the law register. To me, there was a bit too much of bass drum and bass guitar. I mean those frequencies were too loud and it was not good for the sound.
Anyway, Steve and his mates are having fun when he plays and we all are!
I especially liked the "old" songs, "the audience is listening", "whispering a prayer" - a top performance again, and so many others.
The moment when Steve invited a couple of fans to join him on stage was also a peek. I hope he will laugh a lot and for a long time about that bloody idiot who understood nothing about what was going on! Who was that jerk who ignored what Air guitar is? But, it was so funny indeed: Hair guitar! Hahahaha! Please forgive him...
The show ended with a remarkable interpretation of what is maybe the most known composition of Steve's: for the love of God! I'm tired to write it, but it was again fantastic. Everything is just perfect, technically (of course like ever with Steve), musically...
So, thank you so much, Steve Vai, for your kindness, your creativity, your happiness to play for us, your joy of enjoying life.
Come back soon and we will all be there again, with more friends!
Rémy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:57 am 
Newcomer

French people are not known for being comfortable with other languages. The man who invited himself on the stage is a living proof of this. "Air guitar" or "hair guitar" is not exactly the same :) Music is fortunately a question of feelings above all!

Thank you so much for this amazing show! Hope to see you soon in Lille again!
Have a nice trip in France!

Guillaume

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:20 am 

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Steve went for wireless ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quokka wrote:
Hi,

Yes, he did for a bunch of songs, not all though.

J

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:37 am 

Jeroen wrote:
Quokka wrote:
Hi,

Yes, he did for a bunch of songs, not all though.
J

Thanx Jeroen.

I saw this morning a video of wireless Steve @ Clermont-Ferrand ...
And it clear, it gives another dimension to the man, his presence, his show. Might have to see him again ... :o

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:50 am 
Newcomer

What an amazing journey, with the EVO experience, I still can't believe it was true... Thank you so much for your kindness mr Vai!!! You ARE unique to me, here's some more for the curious:
http://naturalrebornyogi.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/being-with-steve-vai-in-lille/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:01 am 
Newcomer

I had the opportunity to attend the show in Lille and also in ANTW (Belgium).
No other words than "fantastic" and "awesome" shows. I saw probably Steve Vai like 20 or 25 times on stage since "Sex and Religion" tour, and it's always a huge kick in the ass :) the last STORY of LIGHT tour ( in early 2013 with the harp player) was already incredible, but this fall tour, with a 4 piece band (Steve, Dave, Jeremy and Phil) was an incredible experience.
2h30 of high skilled show, humour, fun, and moments giving goose bumps. Congrats to teh full band to be able to play so long shows every night, ....it is probably physically hard....!! but it is absolutely KILLER shows!
I also was lucky to meet Steve aftershow, and as usual, he was really really nice and friendly. Even if I met him a few times, I feel like a kid everytime it happens, and my brain turns upside down, and I have difficulties to speak correctly, like a kid in front of his master :o)

Huge THANX to STeve and his band for providing such good moments on stage.
Probably the 2 best shows I have seen in my entire life.

If you wanna see STeve Vai live : never hesitate, buy tickets and go, and get your @ss kicked !!!!! :)
Vai rules!!

Val++
15REASONS