VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

how to play as a kid?
study 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
work 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
eat bananas 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
annoy everyone 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
stay at home from school and play! 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 3
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:42 pm 
Newcomer

Playing as a kid is at the same time esoteric and natural! Steve Vai is "only" a kid! Every kid can play like him without even owning a guitar! School is a shit, school is for apes who sniff and imitate, school is for perverts who like to sit next to others and annoy each other, and school is for intellectuals who like to copy thinking they create! the kid does not go to school, the kid stays at home playing! the process is very easy. pick your best guitar and roll it in the earth, in the mud, then pass it through a soft current of water, then burn it with your lighter and last but not the least let it rest in the wind! you will become a voodoo child! you will be able to sing the truth, you will be able to hear everything without concentration, you will be!

If you don't understand my words and harm your guitar it's your fault!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:46 pm 

I agree to some degree.

Even though school is far from what it should be, it teach us some stuff that we need to learn, in order to open new worlds and possibilities for us as humans, as musicians and as kids.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:17 am 

one thing school does learn you , and that is to make
sense when trying to make a point .

then again you have obviously know how to 'play as kid'
and will be able tick 4 of the 5 choices of your own poll .

:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:01 am 
Newcomer

R1FSR wrote:

Mr. Vai's music will not bring you from A to B, it's not a straight way, Mr. Vai's music is like a universe spinning around. if you try to watch a fixed point near him you will probably get very confused till you start dancing! For "school" I mean a serious place in which you try to dominate and get from A to B. that kind of school is not a place I want to bring with me when I play. A real school is a place where kids have fun! A real school is like a concert made of chaos!
A newborn is music in silence, best than every music ever made, like a clear blackboard with nothing inside yet. being a kid is something fenomenal!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:38 am 

im a kid, I enjoy school, and I enjoy guitar. I have NO IDEA what you said. School is not a place to have fun, people who aren't musicians and want to be something really serious (like a doctor or lawyer or whatever) need a school that teaches. School isn't fun, it's not meant to be fun, it's supposed to be useful. There will be smarter kids who enjoy school and what they teach, I for one love biology and chemistry, along with literature and things like Spanish (I am in no way calling myself smart BTW). School is a vital part for people who don't have the creative freedom of being a musician and want to pursue a profession (that's not musical). Yeah, I stay home and play sometimes (rarely though, I almost never get away with it).

I also have no idea what you said and I have no idea what the point of my response was. Vai's music and school? I listen to Steve's music on the bus, during home room, during my classes, and anywhere else I see fit. If you mean that playing guitar is not school, meaning there is no way to just get from point A to point B, then I understand that and that makes sense. Playing guitar is not a clear easy thing to do. You can't read from a textbook and understand all the emotion and feel you have to put into playing, and can get out of playing. There's no way to simply just learn something, and then just know how to do it, use it, and have the 100% knowledge you do have with school. But again, that's all I understand lol.

Can you elaborate a little more and not in "parable" so to speak, I want to understand what your saying!
Iamakidwithlight wrote:
R1FSR wrote:

Mr. Vai's music will not bring you from A to B, it's not a straight way, Mr. Vai's music is like a universe spinning around. if you try to watch a fixed point near him you will probably get very confused till you start dancing! For "school" I mean a serious place in which you try to dominate and get from A to B. that kind of school is not a place I want to bring with me when I play. A real school is a place where kids have fun! A real school is like a concert made of chaos!
A newborn is music in silence, best than every music ever made, like a clear blackboard with nothing inside yet. being a kid is something fenomenal!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:41 am 

when you say how to play as a kid, do you mean how to "play your life?" Do you mean, like, how to spend time you could spend playing?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:51 am 
Newcomer

Excellence is a good thing, and I always give my best! I loved school, science and poetry. I only left competition. That's not a good thing! To be creative is to enjoy small things and I see that quality in Zappa's and Vai's music. Easy little things that evolve in very complex and extraordinary music! I started to be creative when I started enjoying not only very complex exercises but also "normal life" things like cleaning the floor, my guitar, changing strings sometimes, walk in the garden, taking care of plants... To be creative is to enjoy every little action! and you can not do it if you do everything like a race! you can not play fast if you get bored at very slow blues! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:50 am 

Perhaps my two college degrees (summa cum laude bitches) prevents me from understanding any of this

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:44 pm 

i completley understand this now, and your right btw! I wish I had that sense of inner peace.
Iamakidwithlight wrote:
Excellence is a good thing, and I always give my best! I loved school, science and poetry. I only left competition. That's not a good thing! To be creative is to enjoy small things and I see that quality in Zappa's and Vai's music. Easy little things that evolve in very complex and extraordinary music! I started to be creative when I started enjoying not only very complex exercises but also "normal life" things like cleaning the floor, my guitar, changing strings sometimes, walk in the garden, taking care of plants... To be creative is to enjoy every little action! and you can not do it if you do everything like a race! you can not play fast if you get bored at very slow blues! ;)

Post subject: Re: kyle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:10 am 
Newcomer

Air guitar is a fenomenal and very practical way to remember every moment of inner peace we had! Also smashing a old cell phone! I also liked to cook and cut vegetables with my little "katana". Mr. Vai does a similar thing breeding bees. You will get rid of every tension or hurt yourself! be careful, try air guitar first :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 pm 

to become original you should not be stop. Schools stops children creativity. Parents educations also fights against the uniqueness and freedom of being and act, forcing them to copy in a unfashioned world full of mimetic behaviours and thoughts. Björk Güdmunsdòttir is an example of a girl that was allowed to do what she wanted. The more you are Tarzan, the less boring and predictible you get. I let play my guitar to a lot of people in the streets whom never touched a guitar and the best player was a child with down syndrome. The reason to play bad is that people accumulate fast in their brains things like this sentence:"no,i don't play this way because whatever and i don't like this and i want to do this, oh, no,this one no, i try this, no way, i stop, what about that one? no, better no..." instead of just play without any rule nor shyness. people doesn't play now because they stop wishing to sound it better than they can. A lot of first day players think guitars would sound as if inside the guitar were a full computer band inside but there is no PLAY key! There are milions guitar players in the world playing the same things because they doesn't think as children would, we all are influenced by media when grew up and the musical tastes stops us of being creatives. Normal music might be very noise from a rabbit point of view. When you do no act as a child you tend to accept that the progression C,G,Am,F is the best thing to do. There are people like Chris Amelar whom got different uses of a guitar to make original sounds. It is known in all countries that to grew up equals to be sad, stopped, polite, quiet, lier, and most of these things happens naturally because of the amount of omega 3 from mother's milk finishes then the brains has lack of the oil to work a proper mind so it's half education and half what you eat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:23 pm 

[quote="kyle am I"][color=#FF0000] im a kid,SOY UN CHAVAL I enjoy school,ME LO PASO BIEN EN LA ESCUELA and I enjoy guitar.Y DISFRUTO CON LA GUITARRA I have NO IDEA what you said.NO TENGO NI IDEA DE LO QUE DICES School is not a place to have fun,EL COLE NO ES UN SITIO DONDE PASÁRSELO BIEN people who aren't musicians QUIENES NO SON MÚSICOS and want to be something really serious Y QUIEREN HACER ALGO EN SERIO (like a doctor or lawyer or whatever) (COMO SER DOCTOR, ABOGADO O LO QUE SEA) need(S?) a school that teaches.NECESITA UNA ESCUELA QUE ENSEÑE School isn't fun,EL COLE NO ES DIVERTIDO it's not meant to be fun NO SE SUPONE QUE TENGA QUE SER GUAY, it's supposed to be useful.SI NO ÚTIL There will be smarter kids HABRAN CRIOS MÁS LISTOS who enjoy school and what they teach A QUE GOCEN LO QUE ENSEÑAN EN LA ESCUELA, I for one love biology and chemistry,EN MI CASO AMO LA BIOLOGÍA, LA QUÍMICA along with literature and things like Spanish ASÍ COMO LITERATURA Y COSAS COMO EL CASTELLANO (I am in no way calling myself smart DE NINGUNA MANERA PUEDO CONSIDERARME LISTO ///BTW) .A DECIR VERDAD School is a vital part for people LA ESCUELA ES UNA PARTE VITAL PARA LA GENTE who don't have the creative freedom QUE NO TIENE LA LIBERTAD CREATIVA of being a musician DEL SER UN MÚSICO and want to pursue Y DESEAN LABRARSE a profession UNA PROFESIÓN (that's not musical) ESTO NO ES MUSICAL. Yeah, I stay home and play sometimes SI, ME QUEDO EN CASA Y TOCO A VECES(rarely though, I almost never get away with it). AUNQUE RÁRAMENTE, CASI NUNCA HE SALIDO IMPUNE

I also have no idea what you said TAMPOCO TENGO NI IDEA DE LO QUE HAS DICHO and I have no idea what the point of my response was. NI SÉ DE QUÉ IBA MI RESPUESTA Vai's music and school? ¿LA MÚSICA DE VAI Y EL COLEGIO?I listen to Steve's music on the bus,ESCUCHO LA MÚSICA DE ·ESTEBAN" EN EL BÚS during home room,MIENTRAS (ESTOY) EN MI HABITACIÓN DE CASA during my classes,DURANTE MIS CLASES and anywhere else I see fit.Y EN TODOS LOS OTROS SITIOS QUE CONSIDERE NECESARIOS If you mean SI TE REFIERES A that playing guitar is not school QUE TOCAR LA GUITARRA NO ES ESCOLAR, meaning there is no way to just get from point A to point B QUERIENDO DECIR QUE NO HAY UNA FORMA DE IR DEL PUNTO A AL B, then I understand that ENTONCES SUPONGO QUE and that makes sense.ESO TIENE SENTIDO Playing guitar TOCAR LA GUITARRA is not a clear easy thing to do.NO ES ALGO CLARO NI SENCILLO Y DE HACER You can't read from a textbook NO PUEDES LEER DE UN LIBRO DE TEXTO and understand Y ENTENDER all the emotion and feel TODA LA EMOCIÓN Y SENTIMIENTO you have to put into playing,QUE HAS PUESTO AL TOCAR and can get out of playing.Y PUEDES DESISTIR DEL TOCAR There's no way NO HAY MANERA to simply just learn something PARA SIMPLEMENTE APRENDER ALGO, and then just know how to do it Y JUSTAMENTE PERCATARSE DE CÓMO HACERLO, use it,USARLO and have the 100% knowledge Y TENER EL CIEN POR CIEN DEL CONOCIMIENTO you do have with school.QUE SÍ QUE TIENES CON LA ESCUELA But again, that's all I understand . PERO DE NUEVO, ESTO ES TODO LO QUE HE COMPRENDIDO, lol ME PARTO DE LA RISA.

Can you elaborate a little more ¿QUÉ PUEDES EXPLICARTE UN POQUITO MÁS and not in "parable" so to speak SIN USAR PARÁBOLAS AL HABLAR?, I want to understand what your saying! ME GUSTARIA ENTERDERTE!