VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vegetarian Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:27 pm 

It's entirely possible that I will be the only one in this thread, and that's fine. I'm used to it, LOL. I'm also the only vegetarian in my family... *shrug*
But if anyone else is interested, this can be a place for vegetarian recipes, meat/egg substitutions, ideas, and general chatter. Whatever.
Please please keep it nice in here. I don't want this to become a battle ground between anybody. Eat what you want, just please don't argue about it.

Just to be clear, I am by no means any kind of expert. (I only made the change about a year-and-a-half ago, actually..)
I am not a vegan. I still love me some dairy (I can't go without cheese...OMG! :mrgreen: ) and I haven't been able to completely cut egg out, yet. *and if anyone can give me a good egg substitute, I would be quite grateful!

So... there we are! I'll be back with some recipes in a bit!
Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Vegetarian Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 pm 

I don't know the crust recipe that my husband uses, but we do make some killer pizza!
Two dough balls, pressed out to round(ish) ~ each on it's own oiled pan
Oven preheating to 500 F (My sweetie said that he'd go higher, but our oven won't!)

Garlic, minced, and smeared fairly liberally over crusts.
Then your favourite pizza sauce, bought or home made, spread over the garlicky crusts..
If you have it, fresh basil is awesome as the next layer. Make sure every bite will have some...
Now lay down some mozzarella cheese... (*mmmmmmmmmmmmm... cheese...*)
Fresh baby spinach leaves
Thin (but not too thin) sliced tomatoes
Sliced mushrooms
Sliced black olives
And then some more cheese, mozzarella and/or crumbled feta (*Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... more cheese...*)

Now, slide them into the 500 degree oven, and cook for about 5 mins.
Then rotate pans, and cook aprox. 5 more mins.

Cheese will be bubbly gorgeous, crust will be golden brown on the edges. When you lift it from the pan, it will be a bit soft-ish, but... that's how I like it :mrgreen: and it is cooked through...

cut it into slices of deliciousness and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 am 

what were the changes you felt after switching? I don't think I could live without cheeseburgers or prime rib, was it really worth it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:06 pm 

I love the moving giffs jenn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:51 pm 

kyle am I wrote:
what were the changes you felt after switching? I don't think I could live without cheeseburgers or prime rib, was it really worth it?

I had to make the change.
For most of my life, I ate meat, never really giving it much thought. My parents grew up with meat & potatoes, and that's how they raised me. And I never really had much bad effect from it.
But... I'm not sure what I got hit with, or what so suddenly changed in my body, but I just cannot handle meat at all anymore. If I ate beef, I'd feel ill and heavy for days. Pork and chicken left me queasy, and fish wasn't sitting right, either.

This was all after some really painful ... something... that had me in bed for a week straight. I couldn't eat, I couldn't really move, and there were points where the pain was so intense, it actually made me throw up (*sorry, gross I know...*)

First thing I craved was vegetable broth, and after that, steamed mixed vegetables.
Then, coz I thought I was supposed to, I tried a little bit of chicken. Not a pretty experiment.
I felt fine with veggies, fruits and dairy. But never could tolerate meat after that.

I haven't craved it, and I've never felt better. I feel lighter (and have lost a little weight...) and I feel more energetic. Nice side benefit, my skin has cleared up quite a bit (I have been battling acne and some kind of patchy psoriasis-like rash, off and on...) No new flair up, and what had been almost constantly irritated, is clearing up now. There's only a little bit that still bothers me in the Summer humidity...

Overall, I just feel better. But that's just me. I know there are several people who do better with meat, some who can eat fish or chicken, but not pork or beef, or... fill-in-the-blank. We're all made different. No one diet will work for everyone. Veggie works for me. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:06 pm 

tommyd48 wrote:
I love the moving giffs jenn

Aww... thanks! Image I have fun looking for cute smileys. Two favourite places to go are smiley-lol.com Image and 4smileys.comImage
They have some really good ones.
But sometimes I just use a Google images search for smileys :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:54 am 

MMMmmmmm... Hummus.!.

1 can Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) Drained, rinsed and lightly pat dry with paper towel
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Tahini (Sesame Seed paste)
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 cloves crushed Garlic
3/4 teaspoon Coriander
3/4 teaspoon Cumin

In food processor, combine chickpeas, olive oil and lemon juice. Pulse a few times to chop the chickpeas up.
Add the rest of the ingredients and blend to a smooth paste

add a bit of salt and pepper, to taste (I'd go with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and maybe 1/4 teaspoon pepper...)

Serve with pita chips, Sun Chips (so yummy!) and/or cut up veggies (bell peppers, my favourite...)

Great as a snack, appetizer, side dish, or maybe even lunch/light dinner.

***If you can't find the Tahini, you can change it up and use
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
up to 3 Tablespoons Sesame Oil

combine everything except sesame oil, blend well.
Slowly drizzle sesame oil until you get a nice, smooth paste

Serve as above. Just as delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:13 pm 

1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
3-6 ripe tomatoes, diced (depending on just how much you like tomatoes...) :wink:
1 can vegetarian re-fried beans (optional, but seriously, why wouldn't you.?.) :mrgreen:
10-12 oz. meatless ground crumbles (MorningStar Farms, Boca, LightLife, and several other brands are out there)
1-2 avocados, cut in slices ~OR~ our fave guacamole
taco seasoning mix ~OR~ your own blend of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.. (I don't make my own, btw...)
some taco sauce
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream

OK... you notice there are no shells mentioned... That's coz I'm making a taco salad, not tacos. If you want tacos, Get your fave shells and do 'em up that way!
You'll also note that I've got cheese and sour cream. As I said earlier, I am not vegan If you're looking for vegan options, I know there are dairy free sour cream and cheese substitutes out there. But check the labels of the veggie crumbles. MorningStar used to be vegan, but they have since changed their recipe. Vegetarian, but not vegan anymore.

Anyway... (Way-any, as a friend of mine used to say...) 8)
Cook up the crumbles according to package directions, and add the seasoning mix and some of the taco sauce to keep it from being too dry. Take off the heat and set aside.
For salad, grab a small handful of the shredded lettuce, a decent (or indecent...) amount of diced tomatoes, throw into the bowl! (OK, literally throwing is not advised, that can get messy...)
Add a scoop or two of the seasoned crumbles.
A dollop or two of the re-fried beans, some of the avocado pieces (or guacamole) and some sour cream, as you like... Sprinkle cheese shreds over top and dig in!

*You can also add some salsa, some jalapeño pepper slices, diced onions, black olives, broken tortilla chips (for the missing shells, LOL) or whatever other tasty things you like in your tacos. Have fun with it! :D

**The veggie crumbles that I get (a local "store brand", very very yummy!) have a very slight sweet note that you don't get in ground meat. I like that subtle difference, and when mixed with the seasonings, it works. Like that touch of sweet makes the spices pop that much brighter, and a little hotter. When adding the taco spices and sauce, take a taste, to see how the flavour is doing. And remember, you can always add more, but it's reeeeally tricky to take those spices out, once stirred in LOL! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:53 pm 

This thread made me think of one of the best bumper stickers I've ever come across:

I just happened to be w/ a really close friend that's vetarian. We got a good laugh! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:05 pm 

litlgrnman wrote:

:lol: :lol: That is too funny!!! I sooooo want that sticker! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm 

1 handful baby spinach leaves
scant 1/2 handful arugula
1 med/large banana, cut/sliced to small pieces
7-10 strawberries, hulled
handful blueberries
1 Tbsp chia seeds
approx. 1/2 cup water

all into a blender (or one of those fancy NutriBullet thingies, if you have one...) :roll: :lol:
Blend like crazy 'til all smooth and awesome 8) Drink up! I've been doing these things for breakfast, and it's surprisingly filling.

you can also do 1/2 apple (get the seeds out though, apple seeds aren't good for you...) instead of the berries.
Or if you want some blackberries, those are soooo good (It's just hard to find 'em at a good price... :( ...)
This is just some yummy stuff to play around with 8) (I like to play.!.)

*This stuff gets really thick coz of the chia seeds and the banana, you may need to stir a bit more water in to make it drinkable. (My mother-in-law always says she has to do that. I haven't really had that problem, though...)

Last edited by Jenn Pix on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:33 am 

OMG, this sounds awesome!!! I'll be trying this sometime next week, I think. Whenever I can get some big mushroom caps...
***from Food Network***

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/panko-crusted-portobello-mushroom-burger-recipe/index.html
Ingredients

Peanut oil, for frying, enough to fill your skillet 1 to 11/2 inches deep
4 round pineapple slices (either fresh or canned), each justover a 1/4-inch thick
Butter, for grilling
4 onion rolls, split, buttered and griddled
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 portobello mushroom caps (about 1 pound), gently cleaned and gills removed
1/2 cup Japanese mayonnaise (or regular if you can't find it)
4 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 to 8 leaves red leaf lettuce

Directions

Heat the peanut oil to 350 degrees F in a large cast-iron skillet.

Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the pineapple slices to get nice grill marks, about 2 minutes per side. Butter and grill the buns as well.

Set up a breading station of flour, eggs and panko seasoned with salt and pepper, in 3 separate shallow dishes. Dredge each mushroom cap in the flour first, then the egg and finally the panko. Fry the breaded mushrooms until golden brown and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack or paper towels.

Whisk together the mayonnaise and teriyaki sauce in a small bowl.

For the sandwich build: Spread some teriyaki mayo on the bottom and top halves of the buns. Top the bottom bun with a pineapple slice, a fried portobello mushroom cap, some onion slices and red lettuce leaf. Oh man!

Now, I watched that episode, and the only thing I'd say is that you don't need that much flour, egg, or panko. you're just doing up 4 caps, for goodness sake!
I think 1/2 cup flour, 1 or maybe 2 eggs, and 3/4-1 cup panko.
Also, Japanese mayo might not be available, so I'm glad there was mention of using regular. But there are also egg-free mayo-like spreads out there, or you can find a recipe to make your own. ... but that's a whole other discussion...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:13 am 

Hey Jenn.

At home we have stacks of books of recipes, sadly doesn't mean we get to cook with that much more diversity...

Anyway I was stopping by just to share some veggie love.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 am 

Pif wrote:
Hey Jenn.

At home we have stacks of books of recipes, sadly doesn't mean we get to cook with that much more diversity...

Anyway I was stopping by just to share some veggie love.

Funny, I know a lot of people (myself, too) with that same problem. A ton of cookbooks, not a ton of diversity. I find myself modifying some of my older recipes, with varying degrees of success... and I'm still searching for a good, rich mushroom sauce/gravy that I can play with. (My veggie cookbook doesn't have a sauce section...)

At least for variety (and the occasional inspiration...) I can always fall back on some frozen stuff like Amy's, MorningStar or Gardein... LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:48 am 

One structural problem is that most vegetarian and vegan cookbooks or sites that you can find are US-based, which means they rely on specific products being available (either manufactured or the general availability of some vegetables - I don't find that much kale where I live, for instance).

The other one is simply life happening, for example having to give one lunch each day for your kid no matter what because there's no veggie option, so you tend to rely on the tried and true.

Our family has had the urge to set a kind of "one new dish each week" rule/challenge, but so far we have failed miserably. The actual recipes may vary but it seems we always have from half a dozen to a dozen usual suspects.