VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:12 pm 

How does everyone control feedback at very high volume? I have a 5150 combo and when I play it very loud on the lead channel (gain around 5) I get lots of feedback. Of course, I'm standing only 8 ft or so away, but still, even with a boss noise supressor running through the effects loop I still cannot control the feedback. So, does the Boss noise gate just suck and I should upgrade to something that actually works right, or what's the secret?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:27 pm 

ISP decimator

the big daddy kane of noise reduction pedals!

http://www.thomann.de/ie/isp_technologi ... _pedal.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:38 pm 

know your equipment and feel the music

all i gtoa say,

once u get used to ur equipment u know what puses it and where the feedback comes from and how to control it, once u get it, its there for good!

feedback is so much fun, you really get a feel for it,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:14 pm 

infinite sustain is great

parisianne walkways style!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:25 pm 

Yeah, some amount of feedback is always good, but when you're playing a high gain amp at high volume with no real noise gate, too much is just too much.....feel or no feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:48 pm 

turn down the gain!!

sometihn i leanred is i fu practice at a certain volume, yeah thats all aok

but when u go to a gig, ur volume comes up, and the gain comes down its a rule ;)

remember i

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:35 pm 

The Rocktron Noise Gate pedal and rack units are pretty good, and the pedal is only like $59.

If you are getting feedback when you are not playing then you need more noise supression. Also, make sure you are using a good compression unit, that cuts down on the noise almost as much..given the right settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 pm 

Zeds.Ded wrote:
ISP decimator

the big daddy kane of noise reduction pedals!

http://www.thomann.de/ie/isp_technologi ... _pedal.htm

Agreed. I use one of these babies infront of my ENGL, and it's awesome. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:40 pm 

i dont have one yet, but il get one in time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:24 am 
Newcomer

I think the amount of feedback you get can really depend on what type of venues you're playing and how much space your band have on stage. A lot of time when playing smaller pubs/clubs you can find yourself stood literally right infront of your amp when playing because the stage is so cramped.
This going to cause a lot more feedback than if the stage gives you more space to move a decent distance away from yr amp.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:19 pm 
Newcomer

Best advice not covered yet: If you don't want to cut back on gain (either post or pre gain) because you play hard rock or metal simply put the noise reductor as the FIRST pedal in your chain. In other words, guitar - > noise reductor -> rest of signal chain. You will get noise (a hissing) from the high gain at higher volumes but feedback swells are eliminated when standing at a reasonable distance with pickups facing away from the amplifier. I use two noise reductors when using high gain, one first in my chain, second in the effects loop to eliminate the hiss. I keep the first reductor set to a threshold anywhere between -40db and -30db. Somewhere in that range should be your optimal setting to eliminate feedback without too much of your playing dynamics lost when playing with high gain settings. I simply switch off the first noise reductor when I need want feedback or lengthier sustaining notes at high gain settings. Feedback starts from the pickup...you are eliminating it at the source before your preamps or distortion stompboxes have a chance to compress and amplify your guitar signal when in rest. Try it out first before buying second noise reduction pedal for the effects chain to verify it works. I also recommend ISP over Boss but that's a personal preference, either in theory should work if you are on a budget. You should hear the hissing form the pre gain of the amp but no unwanted feedback. Hope this helps!