VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:39 pm 
Newcomer

Ok, this is really getting on my nerves. I made a video for a competition, the goal was to do a 15 sec solo - without rhytm or anything, just one guitar.
And I made this in the spure of the moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jti8iefanRY

I was pretty pleased with it, other entries are pretty much all shredding, so I made a little melody with a little sweep in the end, and I kinda liked it, even thought about turning it into a whole song. But now, a few hours after, I can't "hear" it anymore. It doesn't sound like a continuous melody anymore, it just sounds like 4 tiny little separate parts :/

I don't get it, it slipped out of my mind and I can't recognize it, it sounds completely different to me than it did just a few hours ago. Can somebody hear "it"?

(I'm not perfectly sure this is a sub-forum for this)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm 

Those damn, shrooms ! :|

But seriously, I can hear the melody you're talking about. It doesn't sound bad, maybe if you recorded it for a particular song that everybody used for the contest it sounded more cohesive.

Is that it ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:36 pm 

i hear it, but the way I would make it into a song is probably much different then you would. Just get into it. Keep listening to it until you can't forget it. I hear melodies all day that I work on in my head, I just either can't make them into a real physical sound, because its in my head, which is sometimes impossible to try to take out, or when I get it out and recorded, there's just some deep element that was in my head that isn't in the physical actual melody. My tip- play it over and over in your mind, and imagine it being a song that is heavily dense and layered. Once you have it, just keep thinking the melody over and over, until its stuck in your head like songs sometimes do. You might never get the same inspiration you did in the moment that made you think of the melody in the way you did the first time you imagined it as a song. Just keep going though, it'll come eventually. Put it on a tape, set a reminder on your iPod or iPhone or whatever for six months for now, and completely forget about it until the reminder, and that inspiration will come. The more you will it to come, it won't. It has to just happen. In the creative realm, it's actually better to procrastinate for the best results.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:58 pm 
Newcomer

precario wrote:
Those damn, shrooms ! :|

But seriously, I can hear the melody you're talking about. It doesn't sound bad, maybe if you recorded it for a particular song that everybody used for the contest it sounded more cohesive.

Is that it ?

No, no backing track, we just had to make up a 15 seconds lasting solo and make a video. I'll explain the rest after the following quote:

kyle am I wrote:
i hear it, but the way I would make it into a song is probably much different then you would. Just get into it. Keep listening to it until you can't forget it. I hear melodies all day that I work on in my head, I just either can't make them into a real physical sound, because its in my head, which is sometimes impossible to try to take out, or when I get it out and recorded, there's just some deep element that was in my head that isn't in the physical actual melody. My tip- play it over and over in your mind, and imagine it being a song that is heavily dense and layered. Once you have it, just keep thinking the melody over and over, until its stuck in your head like songs sometimes do. You might never get the same inspiration you did in the moment that made you think of the melody in the way you did the first time you imagined it as a song. Just keep going though, it'll come eventually. Put it on a tape, set a reminder on your iPod or iPhone or whatever for six months for now, and completely forget about it until the reminder, and that inspiration will come. The more you will it to come, it won't. It has to just happen. In the creative realm, it's actually better to procrastinate for the best results.

I had it 20 minutes ago, and now I lost it again :lol:
And it's just the first 2 notes - the slide and the double bend - I "misshear" them and then the whole thing sounds off, the pauses are too long and the last quick bend sounds like the most stupid thing I have ever heard :mrgreen:
At least I know where the problem is now. I don't actually care about the competition, or the melody very much. I just started practicing properly (after almost 8 years of playing :roll: ), and learning theory, so I saw the competition and decided it would be nice to have some current videos for later, so I can see how I'm advancing.
I turned on my phone camera, noodled a bit with some ideas, recorded 5-10 minutes and just cut out what I liked the best (actually, what I thought would be a cool part of the song, maybe I'll fit it into one as I learn more stuff and achieve better technique... that seems like a nice test actually, to see how much I advanced - and make more parts which will be more and more demanding and complex... yeah, that way if I become any good, people will say "this songs shows his entire guitar playing life" :lol: )