VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: 15 hours
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:57 pm 

DissonantCheese wrote:
kyle am I wrote:
I recently did the 15 hour workout. I got into some pretty freaky States of mind. My vision is five times sharper, every note seems louder, and I can play effortlessly in almost any key. I lost myself for like 3 hours, and finally looked at the clock and 3 hours had passed already. I have had a plethera of different ideas, and multitudes of inspiration took my mind on a phrygian journey through time and space... and a whole pack of strings. Steve, I truly understand your meaning for these workouts. They have given me more knowledge in 15 hours more than I have played for five months. I truly thank you Steve, or shall I call you master. Has anyone else had such results as mine? The first hour was tough to get by, but when you lose yourself and give in to your bleeding fingers, it is a hell worth it.

How do you stay focused for that long?

interesting question. for the first two hours, its hard to focus. you force yourself into a state where you dont think, you just play. usually, im always thinking about mechanics; this is lydian, this is phrygian, mixolydian, whatever. i have to think about it. but during the workout, it just comes. i think thats whats so gripping for 15 hours. i am just discovering so much. its amazing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:15 pm 

yep playing for long periods of time results in improvement

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:16 pm 

boswell wrote:
I've been licking the back of a Toad for 15 hours and nothings happened yet? Should I be getting a buzz or something? Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

That's not a toad! That's my penis!! And you never even asked........

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 pm 

tommyd48 wrote:

I'm not convinced it does. Fifteen hours of carefully structured practice is good, but most of the time if you are just spending that time noodling and playing things you can already play well - then you're wasting your time. Two hours of structured practice and working on your weak spots is time far better spent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:15 pm 
Newcomer

I've had a few 5-6 hour runs. But as SugarNips said, stuff I don't know yet or I have problem with. If you see even the slightest improvement it just consumes you and you're not even aware of the time. Until life happens. I hadn't had those moments for a while now, I kinda miss them. I want to start learning to play again, everything I didn't know by now. Both theory and technique practice. I spent 3-4 hours playing on sunday, learning Jason Becker's Riverof Longing by ear, best 4 hours I have spent on my own in years!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:58 pm 

lololololololololololololololololololololollololololololollololololl
SugarNips wrote:
boswell wrote:
I've been licking the back of a Toad for 15 hours and nothings happened yet? Should I be getting a buzz or something? Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

That's not a toad! That's my penis!! And you never even asked........

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:10 pm 

but really, it does work for me. Every persons playing and aspects of the guitar are different, but for me, I subject myself to hours of playing and every time there is something new and exciting I can work on. Sometimes it's small, sometimes it's huge. If you play for at least to hours then you should have come up with something to work on to make yourself better. If not, we'll... Not sure. I suggest listening to some really bizarre music ahead of time and allow the inspiration to bleed into your workout. I've done fifteen hours on just picking excersizes once. Now, that said, I really pressure you (not you sugarnips lol, none of this was directed at anyone lol, you just had a point I wanted to add on) do NOT think you will become Steve vai by playing for 15 hours strait, if you do, your dehydrated :) do it for yourself, and don't do it to be better than other people. One steve tip is "compared to yourself" not comparing your playing or improvements to anyone else, but to your own will and ability... God, with all this talk I sound like Steve himself. Trust me, I'm not the best player lol.
SugarNips wrote:
tommyd48 wrote:

I'm not convinced it does. Fifteen hours of carefully structured practice is good, but most of the time if you are just spending that time noodling and playing things you can already play well - then you're wasting your time. Two hours of structured practice and working on your weak spots is time far better spent.