Learning and practicing for a kind-of experienced player

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
filip989
Newcomer

Learning and practicing for a kind-of experienced player

#1 Post by filip989 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:09 am

Hi guys! I'm not so new here, but it's been a while, so I had to make a new account...
Anyway, I have quite a few things to write, so I'll try to separate them by topics, hope it won't be too much.

INTRO: I'm playing for about 8 years. I had a phase of listening and playing nothing but instrumental pieces, but shredding was never my cup of tea. I never liked it very much, although I find it very impressive. I also never learned scales, chord proggresions and never practiced my speed and my left-right hand coordination properly - for what I played in these 8 years I covered what I needed, and now I want to improve because...

REASONS: Honestly, I got tired of virtuosos like Steve, Satch, Gilbert and a few more I listened to a few years back. I went back to hard rock and blues, which I found have more to do with my life than instrumental pieces. I lived my life as a "rock-star" for those few years. Drinking, smoking, getting into trouble on a few occasions, almost f*ing up my college, playing in a small number of bands and achieved nothing meaningful. I'm 23, almost 24, and I just started writing my first songs for my band (lyrics and arrangements). Recently I took control of my life before I lost it completely and things started to get better, and a few days ago I saw Jason Becker's "Not Dead Yet" documentary. It really blew me away. I knew about Jason, but only a few details, I didn't know he was still making music. That movie seemes to have been an instant inspiration. I somehow gained more tranquillity for everything I do and it gave me an urge to learn and absorb things I didn't know before. My musical life was a lot like Jason's, but in a much smaller scale - smaller achievements and smaller problems, but there are some similarities. So now I want to do everything I can to make myself a better player and a musician. And that leads us to the nect topic (one more IMPORTANT thing: I know there's probably about 23 million topics like this, but I feel like I have some kind of a condition - if I don't have everything I need in one place, I tend to get lost in informations and disoriented. Every time. So I hope this separate thread just for me won't be a big problem to the mods and admins)

REQUESTS: First of all - the basics. I need to learn scales, modulations, chord proggressions... everything pretty much. I know a couple of scales and all of my time as a guitar player I used my ears to figure out what fits and what doesn't. But I want to learn. Please, bare in mind that I'm from Croatia, so not every book out there is available to me, and I would really appreciate some web-sites or stuff like that that have scales, examples of scales fitting with certain chords, chord proggressions and pretty much as much musical theory I can learn. (I can't read score music, so tabs would be a must for me)

Second part is technique. I am considered a good player amongst my friends that are into music and amongst pretty much every one who has seen me play - but that's only because I know how to avoid my weaknesses. I want to learn to play fast, I want to learn arpeggios, sweep picking, I want to be able to shred, tap and I want to gain more control of my left hand, especially my pinky. (a problem for me is, e.g. I sometimes know what to play, but my fingers get mixed up so I play the right notes, but in different order). I know it's a lot of work and practicing "dull" scales and exercises, but I would like to get some pointers and examples of excercises. So in a nutshell - playing fast - every hint and exercise I can get from you guys.

Thirdly, I want to work on my ears. I learned to play Jason's "The River of Longing (reprise)" yesterday, I got it around 90-95% accurately, so I would like some examples of not to long, and not too demanding instrumental pieces to practice my hearing. Something like that song. The more songs you can think of - the better.

And that's pretty much it - I know it's a bunch, but I would really appreciate it!

Cheers!