23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Message
Author
User avatar
mach1andy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 am

23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#1 Post by mach1andy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:57 am

Did you attend tonight's show in Atlanta (with special Digital Nations' guest Mike Martin as the opening act?) Please share your experience here:

Jenn Pix
Member
Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Georgia -the Peach State.

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#2 Post by Jenn Pix » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:56 am

Still buzzing from the show! :headbang :peace
Standing on the floor, only a couple of 'rows' back from the stage. Closest I've ever been at any concert, ever! And this was my very first time seeing Steve. Image
The venue was smaller than I had imagined it, and I love that close feeling. It was also loud! But it wasn't muddy-loud. It was very clean. Amazing that being so loud, it could be so crystal clear.

Mike Martin opened, and was pretty cool to hear. We also got to see more of him after the show. (I would have stayed longer, but my feet were really starting to feel it... it was really getting painful to stand. But he was really very good, really cool.)
And after Mike, before Steve... there was some getting set up and all. Got to hear as the drums were uncovered and checked out, saw Thomas with EVO, and such. And it was just cool seeing all that going on. It just seemed like the energy was getting ramped up to higher and higher levels.

And then it began.!. Oh. My. Gods! Now, I've seen the DVDs, and so I knew we'd get a killer show, but D@mn! This was well beyond all I could have dreamed! Everyone seemed to be just perfect. Started with an explosion of awesome, and it just kept getting better the whole night. I won't post the set list, coz I don't like spoilers. But I will say it was about as perfect as it could get! I don't think I'd change anything (except that we didn't get to see Beverly McClellan... I was looking forward to hearing her powerful voice! But for whatever reason, she couldn't be there.) A great blend of the new stuff and some old favourites. :D

My husband noted that he'd never seen anyone really rock the harp before! Oooh, Deborah was simply stunning (and funny.!.) 8) I love her.
Philip Bynoe was a freakin' monster, really fantastic. He is consistently one of my 3 favourites on bass. :)
Jeremy was a little hard to see, as he was just under a huge light through most of the show, but d@mn, he was playin' like a maniac! :headbang
Dave. Yup, he was there! Dude is just amazing. :) I really enjoy his style.
And of course, Steve. Perfection. I have never seen anyone give quite the way Steve does. He is, without a doubt, the greatest I have ever seen.
I feel so privileged, so enormously blessed to have experienced such a wonderful night.

More than just seeing and hearing, I could feel (and feel!) the music and the energy.
Any time you wanna come back to Atlanta, Oh Steve, please feel free! I think it was clear that the Centerstage audience loved you!

User avatar
kyle am I
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#3 Post by kyle am I » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:23 am

im going to ask you something really strange, Jen. Do you think Steve could easily see you guys? I mean, its really a feature of his... to feel like he is looking right at you, but did he ever aknowledge anybody from farther back? I know that whenever im on a stage, with all the lights, you can barely see the first three rows. I just want to know, because i have an interesting idea to get his attention (or at least Thomas Nordeggs) :twisted:

Jenn Pix
Member
Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Georgia -the Peach State.

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#4 Post by Jenn Pix » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:17 pm

kyle am I wrote:im going to ask you something really strange, Jen. Do you think Steve could easily see you guys? I mean, its really a feature of his... to feel like he is looking right at you, but did he ever aknowledge anybody from farther back? I know that whenever im on a stage, with all the lights, you can barely see the first three rows. I just want to know, because i have an interesting idea to get his attention (or at least Thomas Nordeggs) :twisted:
I'm not sure how well he could see farther back, but it did appear that he was responding to us in the first three rows. At more than one point, it did look as though he was responding directly to our out-stretched hands and gestures. I don't know about faces or anything more specific, but it did look like he saw that we were reaching out, and he did give smiles and nods in response.
Like
"Yup, I see you..."

He certainly has a way of making you feel like he does see you clearly, though. I would swear up, down and sideways that he was staring right into my eyes several times through that show! He did the "audience scan" a number of times, then it was like his gaze would settle ... honestly looked like, right into my own eyes.

(...and yeah, I'll keep that image in my own memory for the rest of my life!)
Image

Nate from San Diego
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Third of Nine Planets around the Sun

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#5 Post by Nate from San Diego » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:12 pm

No EVO experience, Jenn? If anybody on this forum deserves to meet Steve, its you.

User avatar
kyle am I
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#6 Post by kyle am I » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:32 pm

oh, oh, oh nonono, its me ;)
Nate from San Diego wrote:No EVO experience, Jenn? If anybody on this forum deserves to meet Steve, its you.

Jenn Pix
Member
Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Georgia -the Peach State.

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#7 Post by Jenn Pix » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:31 am

Nate from San Diego wrote:No EVO experience, Jenn? If anybody on this forum deserves to meet Steve, its you.
Aww, thank you! And believe me, I wanted to... I soooooooooooooo wanted to have that...
Sadly, my wallet didn't agree. (*this time!*) 8)
***starts planning for next tour...***
:mrgreen:

Jenn Pix
Member
Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Georgia -the Peach State.

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#8 Post by Jenn Pix » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:35 am

kyle am I wrote:oh, oh, oh nonono, its me ;)
Nate from San Diego wrote:No EVO experience, Jenn? If anybody on this forum deserves to meet Steve, its you.
You'll take a Northern one, I'll get a Southern one. :wink:

User avatar
kyle am I
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#9 Post by kyle am I » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:52 am

Yes! :D
Jenn Pix wrote:
kyle am I wrote:oh, oh, oh nonono, its me ;)
Nate from San Diego wrote:No EVO experience, Jenn? If anybody on this forum deserves to meet Steve, its you.
You'll take a Northern one, I'll get a Southern one. :wink:

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#10 Post by Jeries » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:22 am

kyle am I wrote:im going to ask you something really strange, Jen. Do you think Steve could easily see you guys? I mean, its really a feature of his... to feel like he is looking right at you, but did he ever aknowledge anybody from farther back? I know that whenever im on a stage, with all the lights, you can barely see the first three rows. I just want to know, because i have an interesting idea to get his attention (or at least Thomas Nordeggs) :twisted:
random story...

I saw the first ZPZ tour...and had a decent ticket that i traded outside the show for front row (i paid maybe 30 for the ticket and gave the guy my ticket and maybe 20-30 maybe 40 and got front row- face value was probably 80-100)

anyway- i knew when i got the ticket (or was talking to the guy about getting it- it was right in front of where Vai is on stage)

So anyway show goes on- Vai comes out
I notice him awkwardly looking at me...at times staring...

This was before the auditions... or meeting him several times after... but i did meet him once or twice before this...

anyway... there's probably 3000-4000+ people at the show and i'm noticing staring/weird eye contact- and it seemed to be just with me not really anyone else in particularly...anyway i thought nothing of it..


after the show... i meet...Steve Vai

and he comes up to me and is like "Do I know you from where- you look familiar..." and i told him about meeting him before and having several mutual friends with him.... and he basically said 'oh yeah- when i got out on stage i thought i recognized you and you look familiar and the whole time i was thinking where i know you from"

...anyway...i feel special
lol

Nate from San Diego
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Third of Nine Planets around the Sun

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#11 Post by Nate from San Diego » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:11 am

^^^Cool story, J. 8)

User avatar
kyle am I
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#12 Post by kyle am I » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:27 am

*Jealousy Rising*

Vive le Rush
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:06 am
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#13 Post by Vive le Rush » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Jenn Pix wrote:Still buzzing from the show! :headbang :peace
Standing on the floor, only a couple of 'rows' back from the stage. Closest I've ever been at any concert, ever! And this was my very first time seeing Steve. Image
The venue was smaller than I had imagined it, and I love that close feeling. It was also loud! But it wasn't muddy-loud. It was very clean. Amazing that being so loud, it could be so crystal clear.

Mike Martin opened, and was pretty cool to hear. We also got to see more of him after the show. (I would have stayed longer, but my feet were really starting to feel it... it was really getting painful to stand. But he was really very good, really cool.)
And after Mike, before Steve... there was some getting set up and all. Got to hear as the drums were uncovered and checked out, saw Thomas with EVO, and such. And it was just cool seeing all that going on. It just seemed like the energy was getting ramped up to higher and higher levels.

And then it began.!. Oh. My. Gods! Now, I've seen the DVDs, and so I knew we'd get a killer show, but D@mn! This was well beyond all I could have dreamed! Everyone seemed to be just perfect. Started with an explosion of awesome, and it just kept getting better the whole night. I won't post the set list, coz I don't like spoilers. But I will say it was about as perfect as it could get! I don't think I'd change anything (except that we didn't get to see Beverly McClellan... I was looking forward to hearing her powerful voice! But for whatever reason, she couldn't be there.) A great blend of the new stuff and some old favourites. :D

My husband noted that he'd never seen anyone really rock the harp before! Oooh, Deborah was simply stunning (and funny.!.) 8) I love her.
Philip Bynoe was a freakin' monster, really fantastic. He is consistently one of my 3 favourites on bass. :)
Jeremy was a little hard to see, as he was just under a huge light through most of the show, but d@mn, he was playin' like a maniac! :headbang
Dave. Yup, he was there! Dude is just amazing. :) I really enjoy his style.
And of course, Steve. Perfection. I have never seen anyone give quite the way Steve does. He is, without a doubt, the greatest I have ever seen.
I feel so privileged, so enormously blessed to have experienced such a wonderful night.

More than just seeing and hearing, I could feel (and feel!) the music and the energy.
Any time you wanna come back to Atlanta, Oh Steve, please feel free! I think it was clear that the Centerstage audience loved you!

Jenn Pix, I'm SOOOO HAPPY for you!!!!!!! :headbang :headbang :D 8) :peace I know you've wanted to see Steve LIVE in person for a LONG TIME........and NOW, YOU'VE HAD YOUR CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!! :guitar :headbang :guitar :headbang I know that you'll NEVER forget how AMAZING Steve was, or that feeling of PURE BLISS and JOYFUL EXCITEMENT you experienced!!!!!!!!!!!! :guitar :headbang Your concert review perfectly captures the 'little slice of heaven' to which you were treated. Again, I feel nothing but EXTREME JOY for you!!!!!!!! :headbang After reading and hearing about your AWESOME experience, I look forward with elation, to one of the MOST EXCITING and BEAUTIFUL concerts I'LL ever experience, too!!!!!!!! Sept. 29........ST. LOUIS........WOO HOO!!!!!!!!! :D :guitar :headbang

jpatka
Newcomer
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:12 am

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#14 Post by jpatka » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:59 am

Saw show in Atlanta 8/23/12 and it was amazing. Steve is such a great performer and loved the show both musically and visually! The band and new material sounded excellent. Hope to see him in back in the South soon.

Jenn Pix
Member
Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Georgia -the Peach State.

Re: 23 August 2012 Fall Tour - Centerstage - Atlanta, GA

#15 Post by Jenn Pix » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:06 am

jpatka wrote:Saw show in Atlanta 8/23/12 and it was amazing. Steve is such a great performer and loved the show both musically and visually! The band and new material sounded excellent. Hope to see him in back in the South soon.
Where were you? Up near the front, or further back?
Maybe we saw eachother! :mrgreen:

Post Reply