VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Inspire Yourself
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:02 am 

The best of overall technic is "loosing the fear of...", that is, in short cut, loose the fear of listening the sound, or music inside your mind and, frenectly or not, try to "translate' this in your instrument. Of course you'll need to seat in front of the tv, or alone in a room (this is better), hit a lot against your instrument, delivering more and more control and mastery of it. Besides that man, play it with no shame, be calm, release your stiffness and you will see what happens. :guitar

Post subject: Re: Inspire Yourself
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:13 am 

Filafizz wrote:
, try to "translate' this in your instrument.
We all know what we need to do but its the translation that's the hardest, most obscure part. What you've posted is like saying, 'if you want to be the world record holding 100metres runner, run a bit faster'! Tell us how to translate please.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:45 am 

This is the point. Every sigle person has an identity, a way of being. This is very personal, each citizen has his personal way of playing. For example, a anxious person generally could play in a frenetic way an so on. But is very important to see in the axe what you'll put there, that's why we need to work out and build the necessary technic and undertanding of the instrument. If you commit a mistake, certainly will have ways to correct that in time, or in the music timing. Giving S. Vai example, he literally plays with his guitar, probably he might be a very expansive (and creative) guy and knows how to translate his persona, in his playing. My case is the one quoted above (too anxious), I was shy about playing in front of others, then from 5 years ago up to nowadays, I learned to put my own personal caracteristics on the instrument without any blush of shame. For shure I feel much better now and got better (in means of playing music).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 am 

Filafizz wrote:
I learned to put my own personal caracteristics on the instrument without any blush of shame.
How?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:30 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Filafizz wrote:
I learned to put my own personal caracteristics on the instrument without any blush of shame.
How?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:51 am 

^^^ = awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:00 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though Filafizz, I'm not trying to be rude but you seem to be telling us everything except what I want to know! Am I the only one who doesn't understand this thread or am I missing something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:03 am 

Ironic I just made a video that relates to this topic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_CpU2VPi_E

Though there's a whole lot more to say on this subject, I'll probably have a lot more videos on it haha.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:27 pm 

Ok, Okay,

what means your creativity? Your innerself being or "translating" the stuff inherent your personallity in something. Ok, in a music case a person can apply that (after hours/years of study shure). For example, in rock style a steady E7 chord (or E7 blues progression) you can use A eolian or E pentatonic minor or even A harmonic minor (but this asks or force a F chord - like flamenco E and F chords), as you think in blocks, or like a puzzle, fitting the pieces each other, you can float in the axe making arpegios mainly in the two first scales (like S. Vai does in G3 "I Know You're Here" - and if you notice, he is all the way in E major/Bmajor eolian root, try to play it along with your feeling). The more you get used to those "block", the more you can relax and use your "thinking" on that, so as you are playing something you can think a little bit before your playing and can also "see" the blocks design in your head. Please, go to Wayne Krantz site on internet and see his music method, is very weird, but very interesting. He use numbers for the notes instead of harmony or everything else. In my case, I was afraid to play jazz (a lot of intrinsec harmonies, scales, etc), nowadays it's ok, I can play jazz with no fear, only putting in my way of doing that (that is very frenetic, as I said before, due my anxious way of being).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:10 pm 

hm so in other words...

practice like crazy? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:35 am 

:lol: :!: :?: :roll:
Yes, but, overall, play like a crazy!! With no fear to be happy.
I like Breeder definition hauahaha!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:41 am 

Filafizz wrote:
Please, go to Wayne Krantz site on internet and see his music method, is very weird, but very interesting. He use numbers for the notes instead of harmony or everything else.

same here, i often wonder why the different notes werent numbers instead. this A A# B C C# system has been really inefficient so far to me.