Finally found this song, has this ever happened to you?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Junebughunter

Finally found this song, has this ever happened to you?

#1 Post by Junebughunter » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:39 pm

About 2 months ago I woke up with this song stuck in my head. It was around 4am and I was singing it in my head over and over. I woke up the next morning and I Couldn't remember any of the words I could just hum it. Well I probably thought about this song every day at least once for the past 1 1/2-2 months. Well it turns out Johnny Cash does a cover (or possibly the original)...and there was an infomercial on tv for a Johnny cash CD with the song. And I was like OMG that is it...but I didn't see the name. I could only remember 5 words of the song...soo I searched google for

"I will let you down"

turns out it is a nine inch nails song called "hurt" I am so happy I finally found it and I can get the tune out of my head after listening to it for a while.

Has this ever happened to anybody else?

dex

#2 Post by dex » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:23 am

Well it took me once almost 2 years to track down a song.
There was this song on a mixed tape that my girfriend at the time gave me.
Now this tape was always in my car because the songs on it were quite "choice" and I knew them all by heart.
So one day I wake up to find my car stolen or rather to lose my car stolen. :( :cry:

I never got my car back and this girl was no longer my girfriend but I so wanted to get this one song.
I knew the song, I could sing it and other people have heard it but no one knew who it was.
Now all this was pre-Google years and the internet wasn't what it is now - I used Telnet to surf. :D

Anyway a couple years later by complete accident I hear this song on the TV and I see the artist - The Divinyls and the song "I touch myself".
Turns out they were never released in Europe and I had to get an import of their Best Of CD but it made me extremely happy.
The End.

ilia

Nick.

#3 Post by Nick. » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:07 am

i have a similair story...a couple of years ago, watching the motorbikes on eurosport..i heard this really cool guitar riff..it sounded really nice and harmoniceee type sound. i thought i recognised it. afetr a while i gradually forgot about it. then in a guitar lesson, my guitar teacher do you know this song, i said no. he played sweet child o'mine riff. and that was the riff i heard on the motorbikes on tv. :)

chlamy

#4 Post by chlamy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:11 am

My problem, if anybody can help, finding a song. I really adore the movie "Lost Highway" by David Lynch and bought the soundtrack, but one of my favorite songs is not on there !!!! It's the one that is played near the end when the blond and the guy get, hmmm, well, intimate, in front of the burning house, outsie, I really would like to get this one, but I have absolutely no clue on the band or song name, and as I said, it's not on the CD, so if anybody can help ... that keeps torturing me for a few years now :evil:

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#5 Post by Mikey » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:03 am

chlamy wrote:My problem, if anybody can help, finding a song. I really adore the movie "Lost Highway" by David Lynch and bought the soundtrack, but one of my favorite songs is not on there !!!! It's the one that is played near the end when the blond and the guy get, hmmm, well, intimate, in front of the burning house, outsie, I really would like to get this one, but I have absolutely no clue on the band or song name, and as I said, it's not on the CD, so if anybody can help ... that keeps torturing me for a few years now :evil:

Is that the track with the woman's vocals?

Reaper

#6 Post by Reaper » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:30 am

When I was first getting into rock, the local station used to play one of their spots with this really cool arpeggiated riff behind it.

About three months later, I decided, on a whim to check out this "Van Halen" band, so I picked up their self-titled album. I was scanning through the disc when all of a sudden... track four.

Nick.

#7 Post by Nick. » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:44 am

whats track 4 on VH's debut album??

Reaper

#8 Post by Reaper » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:46 am

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

chlamy

#9 Post by chlamy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:55 am

Mikey wrote: Is that the track with the woman's vocals?

Yeah, exactly, rather high pitched, but very smooth, and I don't know why, it gets me in a very special kinda mood. If you know anything about it, please tell me !!!!

cheers

chlamy

Junebughunter

#10 Post by Junebughunter » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:33 pm

umm if you know nay of the vocals at all...even just a phrase search google for it...but use quotations like

"Words in the song" lyrics

and there is a very good chance it will find it...also search around about the movie on google...I am telling you google is the most powerful tool on the web...it is even banned from certain countries because you can get "too much info" I think China is one of them

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#11 Post by Mikey » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:31 pm

chlamy wrote:
Mikey wrote: Is that the track with the woman's vocals?

Yeah, exactly, rather high pitched, but very smooth, and I don't know why, it gets me in a very special kinda mood. If you know anything about it, please tell me !!!!

cheers

chlamy

Chlamy,

It's This Mortal Coil. The song is called "Song to the Siren" - and it's on their CD called 'It'll End in Tears'.

Enjoy,

Mikey :)
vai.com

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Jeroen » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:17 am

Oh yeah, this sounds very familiar. Often I have it with songs I heard years ago, without knowing any lyric or whatever, just a snippet of the song. Funny part is, when you finally find it, it can be either a really cool tune, or a complete waste of time... :)

chlamy

#13 Post by chlamy » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:23 am

Mikey wrote:It's This Mortal Coil. The song is called "Song to the Siren" - and it's on their CD called 'It'll End in Tears'.

Yiiihaaa, out ta get it. Thanks a bunch Mickey :D :D :D :D :D

jmchambers5

#14 Post by jmchambers5 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:49 am

i have a similar problem, to all of you, but i don't remember vocals. lots of times i'll just be screwing around on the guitar and come up with some cool riff. The riff will sound familiar but i won't be able to put my finger on where i've heard it before, so i just go around playing that riff every chance i get until finally someone will say "hey, is that .... " does that ever happen to anyone else?

peace
jay

Insert A Nickname

#15 Post by Insert A Nickname » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:32 pm

It happened to me once, with Megadeth's "Holy Wars". It was really confusing, cuz the only time I get a cool riff, I found out it's already been written. The funny thing is that I didn't even know Megadeth by then.

Peace 8)