Where did Steve get the melody For the Love of God??

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Yozhik

seljer wrote:There are similarities but they're IMO they're coincidental more than anything else

and you need more than a chord and 5 notes to violate the violate the authorship rights of a song

seljer,

That would be fun to research if indeed there are copywrite issues. The original theme composer is Jim Helms and he is still around, and Warner owns the rights currently.

Yozhik
slash89

This is starting to look like the Villanova Junction thread. Now we know the secret behind Steve's fame; Kung Fu! :roll: Ripping off other composers is a very typical Steve Vai thing to do. Now that I think about it... I find a striking resemblence between Erotic Nightmares and The Beatles's Yellow Submarine :wink:
Yozhik

slash89 wrote:This is starting to look like the Villanova Junction thread. Now we know the secret behind Steve's fame; Kung Fu! :roll: Ripping off other composers is a very typical Steve Vai thing to do. Now that I think about it... I find a striking resemblence between Erotic Nightmares and The Beatles's Yellow Submarine :wink:

Slash89,

In all honesty from what I gather about Steve and his public persona encouraging heartfelt, original, creativity is what he has always been about.

That’s why this whole thing sounded so weird but there it is.

Those green apple bonkers from The Yellow Submarine looked so intimidating when I was a kid!

Well it’s not like there hasn’t been a solid history of white blues players “borrowing” a lot from Black American blues players and never giving them their due for example.

Yozhik
seljer

if Vanilla Ice got away by adding a hihat to the end of the riff in Ice Ice Baby....

edit:
and beyond that, like the others have already said, Steve isn't the kind of person that would purposely rip off another person's song ("hhaha! i'm stealing your song and making a million $ hit out of it!!!")

any resemblance would be purely coincidental or accidental. It has happened in the past (the song Bangkok, he found the melody on a tape he recorded and figure that he had come up with it himself and even expanded onto it into the entire Fire Garden suite, but then somebody else pointed out that its out of the musical Chess, written by the guys from ABBA/Tim Rice..... or something along those lines, search the forum for it)
Last edited by seljer on Wed May 02, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yozhik

seljer,

Well the rumor was Vanilla Ice and Queen settled out of court that was pretty blantant.

But seriously if Vanilla Ice's hair cut ever comes back in style.... :D
Yozhik

seljer wrote:if Vanilla Ice got away by adding a hihat to the end of the riff in Ice Ice Baby....

edit:
and beyond that, like the others have already said, Steve isn't the kind of person that would purposely rip off another person's song ("hhaha! i'm stealing your song and making a million $ hit out of it!!!")

any resemblance would be purely coincidental or accidental. It has happened in the past (the song Bangkok, he found the melody on a tape he recorded and figure that he had come up with it himself and even expanded onto it into the entire Fire Garden suite, but then somebody else pointed out that its out of the musical Chess, written by the guys from ABBA/Tim Rice..... or something along those lines, search the forum for it)

seljer,

I was just posting about what i think about his public persona.

And I again wouldn't think he would be that way (like the example you posted) but again there can still be copywrite issues even if unconscious or coincidental.

Did you hear about the court case for George Harrison's "My sweet lord" sounding like the Chiffon's "He's so fine"?

Guess who the court ruled against?
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are obviously no copyright issues for For The Love Of God.
Yes, there is some slight resemblance between a small part of track, but no verbatim quotes.

And even if the author of the Kung Fu track would want to pursue this, FTLOG is approaching it's 20th birthday in a not too far distant future, so he'd be royally late...
j
Yozhik

Jeroen wrote:There are obviously no copyright issues for For The Love Of God.
Yes, there is some slight resemblance between a small part of track, but no verbatim quotes.

And even if the author of the Kung Fu track would want to pursue this, FTLOG is approaching it's 20th birthday in a not too far distant future, so he'd be royally late...
j

Jeroen,

With all due respect the both of us without proper counsel can determine what is protected by Copyright law, and not as well as time constraints concerning copyright protected music.

And it doesn’t have anything at all to do with the number of notes.

Lucasfilm the owner of that famous THX logo “Deep note” sound filed suit against Dr. Dre seeking unspecified damages for copyright infringement.

That was a one note sample.

Yozhik
Last edited by Yozhik on Wed May 02, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeds.Ded

id say purely coincidental, its just another Villanova junction thread
Yozhik

Zeds.Ded wrote:id say purely coincidental, its just another Villanova junction thread

Zeds.Ded,

We wouldn’t know for certain unless Steve made a public statement about the similarity.

Everyone refers me to the Hendrix Villanova junction thread but it’s a different melody altogether.

Some of the more blatant nicks of classic riffs were the Led Zeps dazed and confused from the original author.

Did you ever hear about that?
Benjammin105

Thats a pretty cool comparison. But I guess everything has to sound like something else.

get a six pack in a month
Last edited by Benjammin105 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilar

Zeds.Ded wrote:i really doubt the inspiration for one of the most beautiful songs ever written came from a seventies Kung Fu movie.
That is such a wonderful quote! Love it. :D
catscratchfever

i can't believe you are even talking about all this, it's purely ridiculous, i mean, i'd like to know what your point is actually debating about it...... in my personal opinion steve would never steal somebody else's melody and that sound sample there was only so close, i had to listen hard to hear it, and would never have even seen any similarities at all if not for this thread because the idea of ftlog being built of that is so far fetched, plus i think jeroen's right, even If*()*, its a little late..................
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yozhik wrote:
Jeroen,

With all due respect the both of us without proper counsel can determine what is protected by Copyright law, and not as well as time constraints concerning copyright protected music.

And it doesn’t have anything at all to do with the number of notes.

Lucasfilm the owner of that famous THX logo “Deep note” sound filed suit against Dr. Dre seeking unspecified damages for copyright infringement.

That was a one note sample.

Yozhik

Sir,
You can read the law. It's pretty well spelled out. Besides that there is enough jurisprudence to safely assess what the result would be if Jim Helms would take legal action - and with a little effort you can read that jurisprudence as well. Have a go at those.

Lucasfilm VS Dr. Dre has no relation to this as that was a sample, which is not the case here.

J
Zeds.Ded

Kilar wrote:
Zeds.Ded wrote:i really doubt the inspiration for one of the most beautiful songs ever written came from a seventies Kung Fu movie.
That is such a wonderful quote! Love it. :D
Just doing my job :)